What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Murder mystery or horror in seaside towns, amusement parks

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1532 comments So when I was a kid my favourite Point Horror book was Funhouse and ever since then I have had a fondness for creepiness at the seaside, particularly set in amusement parks.

Any recommendations for books similar to Joyland by Stephen King, or with a similar vibe to the 80s film The Lost Boys? For adults, not YA, please :)

message 2: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 212 comments The Talisman by King/Straub, though the amusement park is not the only setting. Also Westworld by Michael Crichton.
Apart from that, maybe anything on this list? https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex | 239 comments Funland by Richard Laymon was really good...I read it when I was a teen in the 80s n again recently n found it still very enjoyable!

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott For Fear of the Night by Charles L. Grant
The Town That Forgot How to Breathe by Kenneth J. Harvey

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Hangover Square. A lot of it takes place in London but some is also set in Brighton, a seaside resort. Literary fiction with horror element. Terrific book.

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Past Regret starts in London and moves to Brighton. No horror, but definitely a mystery. Set, I think in the late 80's or early 90's. (definitely no cell phones or computers in wide usage, if at all.)

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1532 comments Thanks for all the suggestions... I will start checking these out!

message 11: by Donna (new)

Donna Moore | 96 comments Let Me Whisper in Your Ear by Mary Jane Clark is a murder mystery involving an amusement park.

Let Me Whisper In Your Ear

Also, Amusement Park by Robert Nathan.

Amusement Park

Thrill by Robert Byrne.

Thrill

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
A Timely Vision is the first in a PNM series that is set in Duck, NC (the Outer Banks newest city)

message 13: by Joseph (last edited Aug 01, 2014 05:58AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "A Timely Vision is the first in a PNM series that is set in Duck, NC (the Outer Banks newest city)"

A good recommendation for a seaside town mystery series. Also by the same authors, Joyce Lavene & Jim Lavene, they did another mystery series you might like. Set at a Renaissance Faire, the series starts with Wicked Weaves.

Another great seaside town mystery series is Ellery Adams's Books by the Bay series that starts with A Killer Plot.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
A Fair Maiden is horror (or horroresque) on the Jersey shore.