Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read in 2017-2018 > White Nights - Non-Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5978 comments Mod
Please use this thread for first impressions (non-spoilers), background and general information.

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) What is the group’s time frame for reading White Knights?

message 3: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Matt wrote: "What is the group’s time frame for reading White Knights?"

Welcome back Matt!

We're reading White Nights for the month of April. I hope that works for you! 😊

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) Great! Glad to be back on GR. I had planned to go through Easter staying off social media but at least I made it to Holy Week! : )

I’ll plan to join in the group discussions for White Knights. Dostoevsky is one of my favorites!

message 5: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Mar 28, 2018 07:19AM) (new)

Matt wrote: "Great! Glad to be back on GR. I had planned to go through Easter staying off social media but at least I made it to Holy Week! : )

I’ll plan to join in the group discussions for White Knights. Do..."

I know you accomplished your obligation for lent Matt!

Happy that you'll be joining us for this read! 😊

message 6: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 623 comments I read this book last December. I'm still in awe. There is so much depth in to the story than what is said. I absolutely loved it. I hope all who are reading will enjoy it as much as I did.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished it yesterday. One hell of a ride. I had watched a movie adaptation years before so I had a vague impression but reading it was so much better.

message 8: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela | 50 comments What movie adaptations of it do you recommend? I've read the book some time ago, and I really enjoyed it, particularly the beginning. I found the Italian movie adaptation of White Nights but I don't speak Italian (no subtitles)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

The American "Two Lovers" would be great in my opinion. Some say the Spanish adaptation is wonderful as well.

message 10: by Skye (new)

Skye | 327 comments Matt wrote: "Great! Glad to be back on GR. I had planned to go through Easter staying off social media but at least I made it to Holy Week! : )

Matt, I saw you had written this somewhere, and I was more than impressed with your devotion and decision to honor Lent. My Lenten Journey has been off.

message 11: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) Thank you Skye. I’m very glad to be back here in GR!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Welcome back Matt! It is nice to see you posting here again.

message 13: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Corey What a fascinating little story!

message 14: by MJD (new)

MJD | 372 comments I remember reading this story about a decade ago and enjoying it very much, hope that those reading it for the first time enjoy it as much as I did.

message 15: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Still waiting for my copy from the library. 😕

Shirley (stampartiste) | 16 comments I just downloaded the ebook. Am looking forward to reading it with everyone!

message 17: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 623 comments Loretta wrote: "Still waiting for my copy from the library. 😕"

Very sorry to hear that, Loretta. I hope you will get it soon.

message 18: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 623 comments Matt wrote: "Great! Glad to be back on GR. I had planned to go through Easter staying off social media but at least I made it to Holy Week! : )

Since this is a pretty short work, you must try and read it Matt. I'm sure you wont be disappointed. :-)

message 19: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Still waiting for my copy from the library. 😕"

Very sorry to hear that, Loretta. I hope you will get it soon."

I'm going to the library this week Piyangie to return books and I'll check on their progress.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Is it available through LibriVox or Project Gutenberg?

message 22: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Went to the library yesterday to check when my copy is coming and they said it was in transit. Hopefully I'll get it before the end of the week. Here's hoping! 😊

message 23: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Gabriela wrote: "Yes, it is 😆
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36034"

Thanks for the link Gabriela! 🤗

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I am going to have to use the Gutenberg link, thanks to whoever shared it. :) It seems this book and its author is very, very popular these days.

So, Gutenberg is my new best friend. You know, after the whole heartbreak of not finding the one book I wanted to read. ;)

message 25: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Tiffany wrote: "I am going to have to use the Gutenberg link, thanks to whoever shared it. :) It seems this book and its author is very, very popular these days.

So, Gutenberg is my new best friend. You know, aft..."

Gabriela shared the Gutenberg link Tiffany.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you, Gabriela!

I've read Crime and Punishment by this author, but haven't read any of his other works. I expect it will be a treat! I loved Crime and Punishment. Can't wait to start reading this one!

message 27: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Was at the library again today and still no book! In transit, sure! 😡

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Loretta wrote: "Was at the library again today and still no book! In transit, sure! 😡"

Maybe it's an international conspiracy, Loretta! I can't find the book. You can't find the book. Maybe, the evil library gnomes are hiding them... lol?

message 29: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Tiffany wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Was at the library again today and still no book! In transit, sure! 😡"

Maybe it's an international conspiracy, Loretta! I can't find the book. You can't find the book. Maybe, the e..."

I guess anything is possible Tiffany! 😊

Thanks for turning my frown upside down!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Loretta wrote: "Was at the library again today and still no book! In transit, sure! 😡"

Its not very long, at least.

message 31: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Kelly wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Was at the library again today and still no book! In transit, sure! 😡"

Its not very long, at least."

Very short, I know. Hope it comes in tomorrow. We're expecting more snow so it would be nice to curl up and read a good book. 😊

message 32: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Finally got my copy and started reading it tonight before my meeting at church. I'm enjoying it. 😊