Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The Innocence of Father Brown (Father Brown, #1)
This topic is about The Innocence of Father Brown
Archive - Group Reads > Innocence of Father Brown, The by G.K. Chesterton

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited May 30, 2018 02:03PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gem  Paullin | 1286 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton and your hostess is Gem.

Please note that our discussion can be about any and all aspects of the book: The theme, plot, story structure, characters, settings, etc. It is likely the discussion will contacts spoilers from the start. If you have not finished the book, be careful not to read the posts of others until the end.

Feel free to use spoiler formatting, instructions are in the upper right above the comment box.
The Innocence of Father Brown (Father Brown, #1) by G.K. Chesterton The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton The Innocence Of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton The Innocence of Father Brown (The Father Brown Stories) by G.K. Chesterton The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton
Summary

Chesterton portrays Father Brown as a short, stumpy Roman Catholic priest, with shapeless clothes and a large umbrella, and an uncanny insight into human evil. "How in Tartarus," cried Flambeau, "did you ever hear of the spiked bracelet?" -- "Oh, one's little flock, you know!" said Father Brown, arching his eyebrows rather blankly. "When I was a curate in Hartlepool, there were three of them with spiked bracelets." * Not long after he published _Orthodoxy, _ G. K. Chesterton moved from London to Beaconsfield, and met Father O'Connor. O'Connor had a shrewd insight to the darker side of man's nature and a mild appearance to go with it -- and together those came together to become Chesterton's unassuming Father Brown. Chesterton loved the character, and the magazines he wrote for loved the stories. _The Innocence of Father Brown_ was the first collection of them, and it's a great lot of fun.

120/57

message 2: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Paton (priscillapaton) | 2 comments In a way, Father Brown was a precursor to Peter Falk's COLUMBO, the slightly daft detective fooling everyone. Chesterton, and his character, were fascinated by clever puzzles but also by the paradox that the darkest elements needed rescue by innocence, and innocence had little value if it lacked knowledge of the dark.

message 3: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

priscilla wrote: "In a way, Father Brown was a precursor to Peter Falk's COLUMBO, the slightly daft detective fooling everyone. Chesterton, and his character, were fascinated by clever puzzles but also by the parado..."

Hi Priscilla, I've not read any the story yet but now when I do I'm going to picture see Father Brown in his collar with a trench coat and cigar, lol.

message 4: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Also, there are 5 seasons of Father Brown from the BBC on Netflix. I've not watched but have a friend who enjoys the shows.

message 5: by Betsy (last edited Mar 28, 2018 06:59AM) (new)

Betsy | 9527 comments After I watched the series, which I really liked, I decided to read a book of the stories. I did not like them, and unfortunately the Father Brown of the books is much less appealing than the one in the series.

message 6: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

I haven't see the series. I try to read the book before I see a movie based on it or a series. I read Alias Grace, which while depressing kept my interest. I couldn't get through the series on Netflix.

message 7: by Skye (new)

Skye | 200 comments I get the series on PBS and I always wonder if I should watch it.

message 8: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Icewineanne | 670 comments Mod
Skye wrote: "I get the series on PBS and I always wonder if I should watch it."

It’s a nice, cozy village mystery series Skye. I can’t speak for the books but the tv series is an enjoyable light show.

message 9: by Skye (new)

Skye | 200 comments Icewineanne, they do look good, and so do the Midsomer Mysteries.

message 10: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

I think I'll have to give the series a try after I finish the book.

I finished the first story, The Blue Cross. I found it a bit odd/interesting (not sure how I feel about it yet) that the majority of the story was from the perspective of Detective Valentin vs. Father Brown. It was almost as if, in this story, that Father Brown was an ancillary character. I expected the story to be told from his perspective. I'm looking forward to the next story and seeing how it will be told.

message 11: by Skye (new)

Skye | 200 comments Is it a collection of stories, Gem?

message 12: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "Icewineanne, they do look good, and so do the Midsomer Mysteries."

Midsomer Murders are terrific Skye. You must give them a try.

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 200 comments I will; I keep seeing them as I try to set up my 'reminders.'

message 14: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skye wrote: "Is it a collection of stories, Gem?"

Yes it is. Apparently all the Father Brown stories written by Chesterton are short stories. I didn't realize that but I like short stories, I can usually tackle them in a day or two.

message 15: by Skye (new)

Skye | 200 comments It's good to know, Gem, and thanks!

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1238 comments I've watched the Father Brown mysteries on tv and loved them. I have the collections of stories on my tablet which I intend to get to at some point.

message 17: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 46 comments Linda, I agree. You, out there, don't miss them. They are good and fun 👏

message 18: by Skye (new)

Skye | 200 comments Thanks so much for the thumbs up!

message 19: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

I read the next story in the book, The Secret Garden. I really liked that one, it definitely had a twist at the end that I didn't see coming.

message 20: by Skye (new)

Skye | 200 comments :)

message 21: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm about 1/2 way through at this point. I also started watching the Father Brown series on Netflix. I like the series far better than the stories in the book even though they take a lot of liberties with the stories.

message 22: by Skye (new)

Skye | 200 comments Thanks for letting us know: I nearly watched several episodes last night.

message 23: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 108 comments ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I'm about 1/2 way through at this point. I also started watching the Father Brown series on Netflix. I like the series far better than the stories in the book even though they take a lot of liberti..."

I've been wondering how the show is. Sounds like its worth checking out

message 24: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Britney wrote: "⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I'm about 1/2 way through at this point. I also started watching the Father Brown series on Netflix. I like the series far better than the stories in the book even though they take ..."

It’s like an AC puzzler with Father Brown solving the crime. Fun old fashioned village mysteries.

message 25: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

I have no idea why it took me two months to read this collection of short stories but it did. I think watching the series had a lot to do with the fact that I didn't enjoy the book as much as I expected to. The stories in the series that are based on the stories in the book are such a loose adaptation that they didn't seem like the same stories to me.

I'll admit I'm glad this one is done and will be moving on the the next randomly selected book from the list of 151 in a week or so.

message 26: by Skye (new)

Skye | 200 comments Thanks for your candor, Gem.