Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
This topic is about The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter > April 2018: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter: Part 3 and Discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 3 stars

☯Emily  Ginder | 1132 comments Mod
This is the discussion thread for the entire book. It is a spoiler thread. Enjoy!

message 2: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 3 stars

This is a short introduction to the movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063050/v...

Charlene Morris | 1127 comments Mod
The end of part two was very surprising. I really didn't see Singer committing suicide coming.

Charlene Morris | 1127 comments Mod
Even though Singer was the connecting character for the other main characters, I felt like Singer was just over shadowed by them.

message 5: by Viv (new) - rated it 3 stars

Viv JM | 81 comments Charlene wrote: "The end of part two was very surprising. I really didn't see Singer committing suicide coming."

I think I was as surprised as you! I think although Singer was the connection between the other characters, it was very much a case of them all projecting their own needs onto him. I don't think he got much out of their 'friendships'. I think he felt that Antonopaulos was his only real friend, hence his extreme reaction.

Overall, my feelings about this book were mixed. On the one hand I thought the writing was amazing and the time and place was very well conveyed. On the other hand, I just found it all rather depressing and dispiriting. I think I need to read something a bit lighter and livelier now to lift me back up!

message 6: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 3 stars

Part 3 takes place all in one day about a month after John Singer dies. It shows how one person can make a difference in others' lives. Even though Singer did not understand his visitors, he was kind and was a sounding board for the others. Once he was gone, there was no more hope of achieving the dreams each person had.

Even though I did not like Mick, I was devastated that she ended up working a dead-end job and had to give up school and her dream of composing and playing music. If she had been born in a wealthy family, she might have achieved her goals.

Of course, the saddest story was the doctor, who had to give up his practice and his long time goal of helping his black patients fight for their rights.

message 7: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 3 stars

This was not a favorite book of mine, but I think it is an accurate look at the lives many live today in lands of limited opportunity for women and those who are a racial minority in any country.