Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
This topic is about The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter > April 2018: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter: Part 2

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 3 stars

☯Emily  Ginder | 1209 comments Mod
This thread contains most of the book, since Part 2 is long. Please confine your comments to information in this section. If you are unsure if a comment is a spoiler, please use the spoiler alert message.

message 2: by Charlene (last edited Apr 10, 2018 10:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlene Morris | 1204 comments Mod
I wonder why this part wasn't split into two.

I would have probably put the split right when Singer goes to visit his friend in the alyssum. Afterwards, seems to be the big turning points for Mick and Doctor Copeland. I am trying to not spoil too much so that is why this is so vague.

I should finish part 2 tonight.

message 3: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 3 stars

I have only read Part 1. I am guessing that Part 1 is the introduction to all the major characters, Part 2 is the main action or plot, while Part 3 is concluding the novel. However, that is a wild guess.

message 4: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 3 stars

It is so sad that the doctor and Jake argued about what to do about the poor black workers in the South. Jake looked at it as a capitalism issue and the doctor as a racial problem. Both were correct, but neither tried to listen to the other and find common ground.

Chapter 13 shows the different ways people had to try to improve conditions. One is accommodation as expressed by Marshall Nicolls. Another opinion included massive protests and marches on Washington, while another option was starting at the local level and organizing there first. Instead of working together and trying the last two options, the doctor and the agitator end up fighting one another.

It is interesting that the author wrote this before the Civil Rights movement in the 50's and 60's. She clearly saw that the infighting did nothing to improve conditions in the South.

message 5: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 3 stars

The actions against the blacks during this time was atrocious. I thought the scene of the doctor going to the courthouse to ask for help was especially horrifying. He did absolutely nothing to provoke an attack.

Poor Willie wanting to find his feet was also pitiful.