Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
This topic is about The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter > April 2018: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter: Part 1

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 3 stars

☯Emily  Ginder | 1223 comments Mod
This month we decided to read The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. This book will continue the theme we have explored over the past two months: racism in America and its affects in society.

Carson McCullers was 23 when she published this book, which was her first novel. She is probably best known for The Member of the Wedding. Ms. McCullers was born in Columbus, Georgia on February 19, 1917 and died young at 50 in Nyack, NY, a town which I visit on a regular basis.

My father, who was also born on February 19, recently died, so I will not be available much of April as I will be handling financial matters with my mother and she does not have internet. So I ask that all the readers will discuss the book, even if I can't always respond.

This thread will deal with Part 1. Please confine your comments to this section. You can also discuss the author on this thread.

message 2: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Mar 27, 2018 11:34AM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 372 comments ☯Emily wrote: "This month we decided to read The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. This book will continue the theme we have explored over the past two months: racism in Ame..."

Hi Emily

Sorry for your loss.

My local library just got rid of their copy of this book (grrr!) so I will be reading it online http://chabrieres.pagesperso-orange.f...

I am away on holiday much of April, but I will post when I can. :)

message 3: by ☯Emily , The First (last edited Mar 27, 2018 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

This is a biography of McCullers life: http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/ar...

Charlene Morris | 1252 comments Mod
I have a couple of books I need to finish up before I can start The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.

message 5: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol (carolfromnc) | 694 comments ☯Emily wrote: "This month we decided to read The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. This book will continue the theme we have explored over the past two months: racism in Ame..."

Emily, I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope all goes as well as possible with your mom and wrapping up the financials.

message 6: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thanks to the two Carols!

message 7: by Viv (new) - rated it 3 stars

Viv JM | 81 comments Emily, I'm sorry to hear about your father.

I haven't joined in with a group read here for a while, but am reading this one. I bought it as a Kindle Daily Deal a year or so ago, and this will give me a push to actually start reading!

message 8: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thanks, Viv.

I have started to read the book and love the description of the two mutes. Although they live together, they live in separate worlds. They are so lonely with no companionship with others in their town.

Charlene Morris | 1252 comments Mod
What happened to Antonapoulous?

I know he went to the asylum but I didn't think he was mentally ill. To me, I thought he was rebelling against Singer to prove that Singer couldn't control him. Antonapoulous really resented Singer following the doctor's directions completely.

Did I miss something?

message 10: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 3 stars

I thought he was crazy. I thought the asylum was probably the best place for Antonapoulous in that day and age.

message 11: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda (dewluca) So sorry for your loss Emily. My 92-yr-old father just died on Feb. 14, so I know what you are dealing with. I just pulled my very old copy of Heart from my bookshelf and figured out where the three sections start, so will try to join in soon. (the second section is VERY long compared to the third). Take care!

message 12: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 3 stars

My father died on February 11, just a week short of his 86th birthday.

Yes, section two is very long compared to the other sections.

message 13: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 3 stars

Well, the first section introduces us to an assortment of misfits. So far, the scariest one to me is the girl, Mick!

message 14: by Viv (last edited Apr 08, 2018 06:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Viv JM | 81 comments I've finished part one. I agree, Emily, they are quite a collection of misfits! It seems to me that they are all drawn to the mute for the same reason, that they feel seen by him and they don't really by other people (eg the doctor seems alienated from his children, Mick doesn't really fit in with her family etc).

The writing feels very precise - like there's not a single extraneous word at all. So impressive considering how young McCullers was when she wrote book!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 372 comments I must apologise for not making it to this discussion. My link was only for the first chapter. :(

I'm still looking for a copy & will post here when I start reading it.

message 16: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 3 stars

I haven't finished it, so the thread will remain open for comments.