The Official History Chicks Podcast Book Club discussion

March - Book Discussions > Out of the many women covered in this book, who do you consider to have had the healthiest/happiest marriage?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (last edited Mar 27, 2018 10:38AM) (new)

Amber (mommytucker) | 157 comments Mod
Discussion Question #2:

Out of the many women covered in this book, who do you consider to have had the healthiest/happiest marriage?

Did you find that couple to be the most interesting to read about? Why? To Marry an English Lord Or How Anglomania Really Got Started by Gail MacColl

message 2: by Amber (last edited Mar 27, 2018 10:37AM) (new)

My favorite couple within the book was George Curzon and Mary Leiter. I feel that these two truly had a partnership throughout their marriage and that even though their marriage did not begin with love on both sizes (Mary wrote to a friend: "I will have him, because I believe he needs me. I have no shame.") it definitely ended with love on both sides.

Here is a neat video I found: https://youtu.be/_e58cCKOgKA

message 3: by Maxine (new)

Maxine (maxinita) | 2 comments I agree that the partnership between George Curzon and Mary Leitner was my favorite. I appreciated that they (eventually) genuinely loved each other. I'm torn about Jennie and Randolph Churchill. I loved her involvement in his political life and what a go-getter she was for him, but obviously there was no romantic love there. She seemed to be able to handle the English aristocratic version of marriage pretty well, unlike some of the American women. Then of course she got her love match in the end.

message 4: by Maxine (new)

Maxine (maxinita) | 2 comments Maxine wrote: "I agree that the partnership between George Curzon and Mary Leitner was my favorite. I appreciated that they (eventually) genuinely loved each other. I'm torn about Jennie and Randolph Churchill. I..."

OK... Just listened to the podcast on Jennie Churchill. I retract my comments about her marriages. Oops. She is super interesting though.

message 5: by Amber (new)

Jeannie Churchill was very interesting and of course had a son that was a key player in WWII. When I laughed out loud Mary Leiter's spoke, "I will have him, because I believe he needs me. I have no shame." I love that! Eventually they both ended up sharing that true love but I felt it was interesting that not only did she wait around for so long for him but that he was willing to marry her after 3 years of waiting. Thank you, Maxine, for your comments.

message 6: by Camille (new)

Camille R | 2 comments Sigh...it's very sad that Mary Leiter had "the happiest marriage." She just seemed to chase down George, and at some points in their relationship he almost seems embarrassed of her. Especially when she first moved to England, that poor girl didn't know what she had gotten herself into!

I think Jeannie was easily the most interesting and strong woman in 'To Marry an English Lord,' but alas, not the happiest.

Mary seemed flighty, almost ditsy, but she was the happiest without a doubt.

message 7: by Camille (new)

Camille R | 2 comments Amber wrote: "Discussion Question #2:

Out of the many women covered in this book, who do you consider to have had the healthiest/happiest marriage?

Did you find that couple to be the most interesting to read a..."

Thanks for sharing this video! I loved it.

message 8: by Amber (new)

You are very welcome! My pleasure. 😁