Play Book Tag discussion

The Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood, #1)
This topic is about The Hazel Wood
Archive: Other Books > The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annapi (last edited Mar 27, 2018 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

annapi | 5073 comments Alice and her mother Ella live life on the move, for reasons Alice doesn't understand. Bad luck seems to follow them everywhere, they are always barely scraping out a living, and Alice remembers almost being kidnapped by a strange kind man when she was five.

When Ella gets a letter that her mother, a reclusive author of dark fairy tales, is dead, she tells Alice that they are finally free. She marries up and Alice tries to fit in at her exclusive New York high school.

But the freedom is a illusion, and Ella is kidnapped by a strange man who claims to come from the Hinterland, the fairy-tale world that Alice's grandmother wrote about in her book. Alice is determined to find her mother, with the help of a school friend who is a Hinterland fan, they set out to find the Hazel Wood, her grandmother's estate - expressly against her mother's dire warning to never go there.

This book was dark and strange. I don't really like dark and strange - and yet this book was utterly compelling. It's not horror or suspense; it was creepy but not enough to put me off, and above all it was intriguing - you just had to find out what it was all about. I had a hard time putting it down, and was surprised to find I finished it the day after I started. The author has a powerful imagination, and you can't figure out where she is going with the story - you just have to go along for the ride, and what a ride it is! It doesn't end where you expect it to either, but it has a satisfactory ending (and not a dark one either), yet leaves enough room for sequels. Book 2 is in the making, and I will probably read it - but it will have to wait till I'm in the mood for dark and strange.

message 2: by Cora (new) - added it

Cora (corareading) | 1409 comments Sounds interesting.