Actors Unite! discussion

Can Meditation Actually Help Your Acting?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Page (kevin_page) | 6 comments Mod
150% Better Auditions: Using Mindfulness Practice to Improve Your Acting I wrote this book to demonstrate how mindfulness meditation practice can help actors (particularly in the audition situation). I have been using these techniques right before entering the audition room for the last 2 years, and my work has definitely improved!

Anyone else use meditation in conjunction with their acting work? How has it helped you? If you learned to meditate from my book, please share what was most helpful to you. Kevin Page

message 2: by W.M. (new)

W.M. (psybok) | 4 comments Meditation is not something I had considered in my acting, but anything that can help me book more work from auditions is definitely something I would be interested to learn!

message 3: by Kevin (new)

W.M. wrote: "Meditation is not something I had considered in my acting, but anything that can help me book more work from auditions is definitely something I would be interested to learn!"

I've found the meditation really helps with nerves. I used to get a little intimidated by the other great actors that would show up for auditions. Now, I am more calm under pressure and can keep my mind on the work instead of who else is in the room. I really recommend it (which is why I wrote a book about it!) Thx 4 joining my group, Mike!

message 4: by W.M. (new)

W.M. (psybok) | 4 comments I will make it a point to check out the book, and learn more! Meditation will probably help me in other areas as well. Thanks for extending the invitation!

message 5: by Ray (new)

Ray Watters | 1 comments I meditate on a fairly regular basis, but it's not just about making me better at the craft. I learned many years ago when I began my journey as a recovered alcoholic that I had a problem comparing my insides to other people's outsides. As an example, when I was a broadcast journalist in the 1990s, I interviewed a well-known actor who had his own TV series. I felt a little intimidated at first until he told me prior to going on camera that he felt a bit intimidated during interviews. What a switch! I used to look at others in the audition waiting area and wonder if I'm as good as them. The truth is, they're probably thinking the same thing about me! I do want to read your book!

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Ray wrote: "I meditate on a fairly regular basis, but it's not just about making me better at the craft. I learned many years ago when I began my journey as a recovered alcoholic that I had a problem comparing..."

Thanks, Ray. I'd love to hear your thoughts. (Feel free to review it here on Goodreads...if you like it!) KP