2021 ONTD Reading Challenge discussion

A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1)
This topic is about A Wizard of Earthsea
2018 ♦️ARCHIVES♦️ May > A Wizard of Earthsea (Ursula Le Guin)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 101 comments My (sadly) first Le Guin!

Sheneve Butler | 12 comments Same! I read Earthsea in February, I I'll probably read more of her work this year.

message 3: by Rocio (new)

Rocio (inmybookcase) It's gonna be my first Le Guin as well :) this was long overdue lol.

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 101 comments I can not get into this book you guys. I'm in Chapter 3 and just bored. It's incredibly well-written but I think this old-school fantasy thing isn't my cup of tea. Should I keep going? How long do we give a book before giving up?

message 5: by Lea (new)

Lea | 326 comments Mod
Oh I say don't keep going if you're bored, Jamie. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Perhaps you can find another book for the challenge that'll interest you more!

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 101 comments I feel like I'm letting down female authors if I give up lol but yeah. I bought it on audible so I own it forever. I think I'll move on for now but not delete it in case I wanna go back.

message 7: by Rocio (last edited May 02, 2018 08:38PM) (new)

Rocio (inmybookcase) I'm not completely bored with it yet, but let's just say I find it easier to doze off when I'm reading it than when I'm reading the Handmaid's Tale (the other book I'm reading this month, non-challenge wise).

It very much has that thing of old fantasy where it's not... as immersive. Which is ironic because even if different scenes aren't long enough for the reader to immerse his or herself in the world and get attached to the characters, the scenes still feel too damn long and drawn out.

The chapter with the ship travel was a clusterfuck of sailing/ship terms that I just don't know what they mean (maybe because English is not my first language so as soon as it gets too niche of specialized in a foreign subject to me I just blank) so it was especially boring to read. But things should get interesting once the protagonist arrives at Roke. I hope.

(idk if I made myself clear with "immersive". I'm not attached to the characters and when they pop up, there's not an extensive description and exhibition of who and how they are like for me to develop any kind of feelings about them. Same with the different situations, they all feel flat so far, even when something epic happens I find it hard to connect because I don't care about these people. It's very similar to the experience I get when reading the bible, in a way. Boring, then what should be an exciting scene, but made boring because I'm just not attached)

Sophie Yeah I read this one and I wasn't feeling it at all :/ In fact I feel like I spaced out for a good deal of it.

I might try another Le Guin tho bc I DO want to give her a good try!

message 9: by Rocio (new)

Rocio (inmybookcase) I haven't gone back to this book in a week. My non-challenge reading (The Handmaid's Tale) has me completely captivated and this one is like.... eh.... :/

message 10: by l. (new) - rated it 4 stars

l. For those of you who aren’t into it, the tombs of Atuan is worth trying instead. Female protag. About patriarchy.

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 101 comments l. wrote: "For those of you who aren’t into it, the tombs of Atuan is worth trying instead. Female protag. About patriarchy."

l. wrote: "For those of you who aren’t into it, the tombs of Atuan is worth trying instead. Female protag. About patriarchy."

Thanks!

message 12: by l. (new) - rated it 4 stars

l. Jamie wrote: "l. wrote: "For those of you who aren’t into it, the tombs of Atuan is worth trying instead. Female protag. About patriarchy."

l. wrote: "For those of you who aren’t into it, the tombs of Atuan is ..."

it's one of her more beautiful novels imo!!! worth a try.

message 13: by Rocio (new)

Rocio (inmybookcase) Okay so I think I'm gonna pause this book. I haven't picked it up in a week, haven't even had the slightest desire to do so. A few days ago, my copy of Assassin's Apprentice arrived and I've been reading that as part of the challenge instead. I don't know if I'll finish it by the end of the month (probably not lbr) but I'm three chapters in and I am so in love with it. It's the breath of fresh air that I needed. THIS is how I like my fantasy to be written. It's like Game of Thrones, but better.

message 14: by l. (new) - rated it 4 stars

l. Yeah that’s exactly what I thought lol. I thought game of thrones would be what robin hobb was. Robin Hobbs books are just exactly what you want of complicated court fantasy.