Rebellious Writing discussion

All the Writerly Things > Stuck? Let us help!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine, Shieldmaiden of Rohan <3 (last edited Mar 27, 2018 10:12AM) (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) | 68 comments Mod
Every author gets stuck on something every once in a while. Whether it's a name, a plot device, a motivation or even a character. We're hear to help!

What is something that you are stuck on?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Planning a scene in which my main character, who basically doesn't know what it's like to be loved, finally speaks to the family who adopted him after he escaped his evil birth parents. They've tried to gain his trust and help him, but he's been mute for three months. What would be some good motivation for this breakthrough/change?

Sorry if that was worded weirdly, btw.

message 3: by Catherine, Shieldmaiden of Rohan <3 (new)

Hmmm. I personally don't have much experience with mute characters, but I've noticed two camps for this kind of situation.

1. Something really tramatic happens. For example, in Kilmeny of the Orchard, a mute character speaks/shouts a warning to her lover as he is attacked by another guy.

2. Speech comes very gradually, and often without warning. Other verbal sounds, such as laughing, often precede it.

I've read books where the character is regaining speech and they feel frustrated when they can't speak as well or the words just won't come. He has to have the will to speak, and kindness often accelerates that.

I wish I was better help!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. :) That helps!

message 5: by Catherine, Shieldmaiden of Rohan <3 (new)

So....you need a starting point, Shine?

message 6: by Catherine, Shieldmaiden of Rohan <3 (new)

Okay, how exactly did Shine (your character) get plopped into Pangea in the first place?