Read Women discussion

Read Women Chat > Women's Prize for Fiction 2018

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta Trying to follow along with the prize a bit. Hoping to read all the longlist books I'm interested in before the shortlist is announced - might be tough though!

I find it kind of odd how many "buzzy" books there are on the list. Granted I only got interested in the Women's Prize last year but the 2017 list seemed to be all... pretty obscure releases, comparatively speaking.

message 3: by Louise, Group Founder (new)

Louise | 680 comments Mod
Cendaquenta wrote: "Trying to follow along with the prize a bit. Hoping to read all the longlist books I'm interested in before the shortlist is announced - might be tough though!

I find it kind of odd how many "buzz..."

Interesting. I was looking through the titles thinking I hadn't heard of most of them! I'm probably not up on the buzz though.

Only one I've read so far is Eleanor Oliphant (which has got a lot of buzz) for my real life book group, which I thought was brilliant. And only had 2-3 of the others really on my radar.

message 4: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta Louise wrote: "Interesting. I was looking through the titles thinking I hadn't heard of most of them! I'm probably not up on the buzz though."

I do watch a ridiculous amount of Booktube, so if a book's being talked about on there I see far too much of it. Probably gives me a bit of a skewed perspective on how much hype a given title is getting.

Quite a few of the longlist were Man Booker Prize nominees, so they got a lot of publicity/attention from that. Eleanor Oliphant and The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock have been heavily promoted by their publishers. The Trick to Time, The Ministry of Utmost Happiness and Three Things About Elsie have been getting a lot of attention/publicity because of their authors. Sing Unburied Sing is, of course, getting buzz [partly] because it's About Race.
See What I Have Done... odd, I feel like that was up for a different prize, but its page doesn't say so. I guess it was just doing the Booktube rounds a while back.

message 5: by Alexia (new)

Alexia (alexia_r) H(A)PPY won the Goldsmiths prize as well.

The only one I've read so far is Elmet, which I really enjoyed - probably helps that I'm from Yorkshire, where the book is set.

I've just started Eleanor Oliphant for my book club.

message 6: by Rae (new)

Rae Sengele (raesengele) | 15 comments I think Elmet may have been up for the Booker prize last year, as well.