Bookish Kingdom discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Of The Month Readalong > BOTM April 2018 suggestions

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ayla (last edited Mar 29, 2018 04:45AM) (new)

Ayla (goodreadscomayla) | 655 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

Here you can suggest a book you'd like to read for the BOTM readalong (+ discussion) of April :)

- The theme/genre for this month will be "middle grade". The book you suggest has to be a book that belongs to the middle grade genre :)
Need some inspiration? Take a look here: https://www.goodreads.com/genres/midd...
- You can suggest one book.
- The book can be the first book of a series or a standalone.
- This thread will close the 29th of March, so you have still 3 days to vote on the poll.
- A poll will be created the 29th of March, including 6 of your suggested books with the most recommendations and the highest average ratings on GoodReads.
- The poll will close the 1st of April and the BOTM April will be announced :)

Books suggested until now:

The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #1) by Stephanie Burgis _ The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #1) by Jessica Townsend _ Wonder by R.J. Palacio _ The Iron Trial (Magisterium, #1) by Holly Black _ Furthermore (Furthermore, #1) by Tahereh Mafi _ The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding (The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding #1) by Alexandra Bracken _ Nightmares! (Nightmares!, #1) by Jason Segel _ The Adventurers Guild (The Adventurers Guild #1) by Zack Loran Clark _ Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1) by Roshani Chokshi _ The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1) by Soman Chainani _ The Unicorn Quest (The Unicorn Quest #1) by Kamilla Benko _ The War that Saved My Life (The War That Saved My Life, #1) by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley _ The Dead of Winter by Chris Priestley _ Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror, #1) by Chris Priestley _ Mister Creecher by Chris Priestley _ The Magic Misfits (Magic Misfits, #1) by Neil Patrick Harris _ Princess Princess Ever After by Katie O'Neill _ The Gauntlet by Karuna Riazi _ Ice Wolves (Elementals, #1) by Amie Kaufman

You can also recommend one of these books (in case you aren't the one who requested it). This will increase its chances to end up in the poll, which will include 6 books :)

message 2: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 768 comments Mod
Man I have so many suggestions! I really want to try a lot of middle grade! It’s so hard to pick one!

I think I’m going to wait a while before picking one because it’s so hard. So many good choices!

message 3: by Ayla (new)

Ilsen wrote: "Man I have so many suggestions! I really want to try a lot of middle grade! It’s so hard to pick one!

I think I’m going to wait a while before picking one because it’s so hard. So many good choices!"

There really are a lot of great middle grade novels out there! :D
Curious to see your choice :)

message 4: by Ayla (new)

My suggestion would be:

The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #1) by Stephanie Burgis
The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart

I came across this book at my library and the synopsis sounds fun and cute! Hopefully more of you are interested in reading this book :)

message 5: by Ilsen (new)

Just added that to my TBR! It sounds so cute!!

message 6: by Ayla (new)

Ilsen wrote: "Just added that to my TBR! It sounds so cute!!"

Yess glad to hear you're interested in reading that one as well, Ilsen! :D

message 7: by Ayla (new)

Ilsen wrote: "Man I have so many suggestions! I really want to try a lot of middle grade! It’s so hard to pick one!

I think I’m going to wait a while before picking one because it’s so hard. So many good choices!"

Also, feel free to recommend more books than just one, seen as no one else has suggested anything yet xD

message 8: by Susan (new)

message 9: by Figgy (new)

Figgy (figgyoconnell) | 4 comments There's one that I really want to read, but it's not out for a few months... Is it possible to have a MG theme every 2-4 months? It could be alongside other reads, since not everyone reads MG?

I'm nominating When the Mountains Roared this time around... I really enjoyed the author's debut novel, Running on the Roof of the World. I'm not sure if this would be easy for everyone to obtain, though, as it's out IN April.

message 10: by Ilsen (new)

Wonder by R.J. Palacio
The Iron Trial by Cassandra Clare and Holly Black
Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi
The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding by Alexandra Bracken
Nightmares! by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller
The Adventurer’s Guild by Zack Loran Clark and Nick Eliopulos
Aru Shah and the End of Time by Roshani Chokshi
The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani
The Unicorn Quest by Kamila Benko
The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

All of these middle grade have caught my eye (you don’t have to pick all of them. It was just really hard to choose!) Nevermoor was also on my list but someone already suggested it XD Feel free to voice which one of the middle grades are you excited for!

message 11: by Regsly (last edited Mar 28, 2018 01:19PM) (new)

Regsly | 948 comments Mod
I've been meaning to read Chris Priestley's books. I've only read Christmas Tales of Terror so far and I've really enjoyed it.
Like:
- The Dead of Winter by Chris Priestley The Dead of Winter
- Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror, #1) by Chris Priestley Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror
- Tales of Terror from the Black Ship (Tales of Terror, #2) by Chris Priestley Tales of Terror from the Black Ship
- Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth (Tales of Terror, #3) by Chris Priestley Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth
- Mister Creecher by Chris Priestley Mister Creecher

I just wanted to suggest the author, really, all the books sound good. There's many middle-grade books I'm interested, but many are part of a series...

message 12: by chloe (new)

chloe yeung ♡ (marshmallowpudding) Aru Shah and the End of Time

I've been seeing this everywhere on the internet and the cover looks so cute! (ALSO HINDU MYTHOLOGY <3)

message 13: by Bec (new)

Bec (_becandbooks) | 473 comments I can't believe nobody has mentioned these so I'm going to just leave them here:

The Magic Misfits (Magic Misfits, #1) by Neil Patrick Harris Princess Princess Ever After by Katie O'Neill The Gauntlet by Karuna Riazi

message 14: by Ilsen (new)

Omg The Gauntlet and The Magic Misfits are also on my TBR!! These are all really good options!

message 15: by Lara (new)

Lara (Bookish_turtle) Ice Wolves by Amie Kaufman

message 16: by Cordelianne (new)

Cordelianne | 192 comments Mod
wonder is amazing!

message 17: by Ayla (new)

Susan wrote: "The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #1) by Jessica Townsend"

Thanks for your suggestion, Susan!

message 18: by Ayla (new)

Figgy wrote: "There's one that I really want to read, but it's not out for a few months... Is it possible to have a MG theme every 2-4 months? It could be alongside other reads, since not everyone reads MG?

I'm..."

Hi Figgy!
Unfortunately we already have our BOTM themes set for this year and middle-grade will only be the theme for April.
However, we have group buddy-reads/readalongs aside from the BOTM readalong (for example TMI readalong and Wonder Woman/Batman readalong currently going on).

As for When the Mountains Roared by Jess Butterworth , it seems to be out just a bit too late to nominate it as our April BOTM book, but we could totally host a readalong for that one aside from the BOTM readalong for everyone that is interested! :)

message 19: by Ayla (new)

Ilsen wrote: "Wonder by R.J. Palacio
The Iron Trial by Cassandra Clare and Holly Black
Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi
The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding by Alexandra Bracken
Nightmares! by Jason Segel and Kirsten..."

Thanks for all of your suggestions, Ilsen! :D
I added all of them to the list for now and we'll see which ones will end up in the poll :)
I'm definitely excited for Wonder and Furthermore, but some of the other ones I haven't heard of before sound really good as well!

message 20: by Ayla (new)

Regsly wrote: "I've been meaning to read Chris Priestley's books. I've only read Christmas Tales of Terror so far and I've really enjoyed it.
Like:
- The Dead of Winter by Chris Priestley [book:T..."

Thanks for your suggestion, Regsly! :)
I added the first book in the series to the list and the other two that are standalones :D

message 21: by Ayla (new)

Chloe wrote: "Aru Shah and the End of Time

I've been seeing this everywhere on the internet and the cover looks so cute! (ALSO HINDU MYTHOLOGY <3)"

Thanks for your suggestion, Chloe!
I heard great things about it as well, so I added that one to the list! :D

message 22: by Ayla (new)

Becca (becandbones) wrote: "I can't believe nobody has mentioned these so I'm going to just leave them here:

The Magic Misfits (Magic Misfits, #1) by Neil Patrick HarrisPrincess Princess Ever After by Katie O'Neill[bookcover:The Gauntlet|303..."

Thanks for your suggestions, Becca! :D

message 23: by Ayla (new)

Lara wrote: "Ice Wolves by Amie Kaufman"

Thanks for the suggestion, Lara :)

message 24: by Ayla (last edited Mar 29, 2018 04:55AM) (new)

Cordelianne wrote: "wonder is amazing!"

Extra points for Wonder! :D

message 25: by Ayla (new)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
You can vote on the poll that is up now here

description

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.