Great African Reads discussion

The Book of Chameleons
This topic is about The Book of Chameleons
Archived | Regional Books 2018 > April 2018 | The Book of Chameleons by Agualusa NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anetq | 719 comments Mod
This thread is for our April 2018 read The Book of Chameleons by José Eduardo Agualusa -> NO SPOILERS
(Find the spoiler thread here)

message 2: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anetq | 719 comments Mod
We decided to add the third choice in the poll as an extra read for April 2018 - and hope many of you will join us in reading this interesting author from Angola.
Availability may depend on translations (unless you are lucky enough to read Portuguese) - but for those reading e-books it is available as a Kindle book on Amazon, so that's one way to get a copy at least.

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 82 comments I hope to get to this Anetq. I seem to have been slammed with books lately but I do have this on my kindle.

message 4: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anetq | 719 comments Mod
I had holidays and ended up reading it already - and loved it! I highly recommend it.

message 5: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 82 comments Good to know!

message 6: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 724 comments Mod
I hope to find the time to read this interesting book. And I'll try the original Portuguese version (available on kindle)!

message 7: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anetq | 719 comments Mod
Wim wrote: "I hope to find the time to read this interesting book. And I'll try the original Portuguese version (available on kindle)!"

Original version! Great :)

message 8: by PS, Short Story Reading Chief (new)

PS | 143 comments Mod
I'm still waiting for my copy. Hopefully should be here by the end of the month...

message 9: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anetq | 719 comments Mod
I scoured the libraries across the country and rustled up a tiny book (literally too) with three short stories and today I received a book of short stories Fronteiras Perdidas in Danish translation - I really like his stories :)

message 10: by PS, Short Story Reading Chief (new)

PS | 143 comments Mod
Oh lucky you, it’s not available in English :( It’s been a while since I studied Danish or else I’d have given it a go! I hope it’s translated soon! Look forward to your review

message 11: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anetq | 719 comments Mod
Sofia wrote: "Oh lucky you, it’s not available in English :( It’s been a while since I studied Danish or else I’d have given it a go! I hope it’s translated soon! Look forward to your review"

You could always give the Portuguese a go? ;)

message 12: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anetq | 719 comments Mod
It seems a little publisher in Jutland fell in love with Agualusas stories - and a former colleague here at the University of Copenhagen did the translations :)

message 13: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 724 comments Mod
I just started a couple of days ago, reading slowly and enjoying the poetry of Agualusa's writing.

What a contrast with the hard and serious books we have been reading the past months (King Leopold's Ghost, Homegoing, etc.)!

message 14: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anetq | 719 comments Mod
Wim wrote: "I just started a couple of days ago, reading slowly and enjoying the poetry of Agualusa's writing.

What a contrast with the hard and serious books we have been reading the past months "

I couldn't agree more - I've gone a bit crazy and ordered everything I could find from libraries in English or Danish translations by Agualusa (and read half already) - it was just what I needed :)

message 15: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 82 comments I haven't started yet but it's on my kindle and ready to go.

message 16: by Cindy III (new) - added it

Cindy III | 2 comments Currently reading it. I like it so far.

message 17: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 82 comments I started today. Definitely the first book I've read narrated by a chameleon. Interesting perspective.