Great African Reads discussion

The Book of Chameleons
This topic is about The Book of Chameleons
Archived | Regional Books 2018 > Apr 2018 | The Book of Chameleons SPOILERS ALLOWED

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (last edited Mar 27, 2018 01:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anetq | 711 comments Mod
Bonus read for April!
This thread is for our April 2018 read The Book of Chameleons by José Eduardo Agualusa -> SPOILERS ALLOWED
(Find the no-spoiler thread here)

message 2: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anetq | 711 comments Mod
I've read the beginning - even if April isn't here yet... And I find the unexpected narrator to be an interesting POW :)

message 3: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 681 comments Mod
I just finished this wonderful novel. I read it in small bits, enjoying the beautifully written prose and the original story, not just the viewpoint but also the characters.

I seemed to be a very light story, but the dark past of Angola seeped through. I did like the storyline and also the end of the book.

Reading in Portuguese (which was a true challenge, haven't read novels in Portuguese since over 10 years) I advanced very slowly (using kindle dictionary quite often). Nevertheless, the language was wonderful, and probably hard to translate.

It was my first Agualusa read, and I truly loved it.

message 4: by Diane, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane | 444 comments Mod
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. I'm sure it is even better when read in the original Portuguese. I look forward to reading A General Theory of Oblivion next.

message 5: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anetq | 711 comments Mod
I really liked this - I forgot to link to my review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Have now gone on a bit of a Agualusa hunt in the libraries I have access to :)

And have fun reading A General Theory of Oblivion Diane - that one is great I think!

Diane wrote: "I enjoyed this book quite a bit. I'm sure it is even better when read in the original Portuguese. I look forward to reading A General Theory of Oblivion next."

message 6: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 82 comments I just finished and did like this book quite a lot. The premise is so intriguing and the way it is completed is very well done. Such an interesting way to present the truths and lies of history, especially in a country torn by revolt and resistance groups.

message 7: by Diane, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane | 444 comments Mod
Anetq wrote: "And have fun reading A General Theory of Oblivion Diane - that one is great I think!"

It went on sale on Kindle (US) earlier this week and I picked up a copy. Looking forward to it!

message 8: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 82 comments I finished my review tonight which is here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...