The Sapphic Squad discussion

Reign of the Fallen (Reign of the Fallen, #1)
This topic is about Reign of the Fallen
Buddy Reads > Reign of the Fallen BR

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) | 53 comments Mod
Sabrien and I are buddy-reading Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh, starting tomorrow (3/27/2018)

Necromancers and a bi lead! All are welcome to join, with discussion down below!
(Spoilers should be tagged)

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments How many chapters (there are 33) could we do today?

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments Does 4 sound good (50 pages in my book) too much/too little?

Rusty Grey | 9 comments Hey Gals can I join in ?

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments @Rusty
Yeah, it's open for anyone to join!

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ | 26 comments Can I join? :p

Yes! You are all welcome! :)

I'm going to try for four chapters today, Sabrien! :)

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments Ok, sounds good 😊

I'm two chapters in, and so far I'm digging it. The magic system seems really cool and different, and Odessa, Evander and Valoria all seem interesting.

I'm hoping for some more worldbuilding though, especially when it comes to how this whole kingdom runs without anything changing. 0.o

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments Same, I read the four chapters and I need more world building. I feel like once it makes more sense though, I'll be more into it.

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ | 26 comments Yeah, I'm really intrigued by this anti-change thing. It also seems like the eye colors have something to do with the faces of the god? It seems really interesting but I definitely need more information! (I'm on chapter 5 now, too.)

Rusty Grey | 9 comments So excited ! I'm gonna start this now .

Sabrien wrote: "Same, I read the four chapters and I need more world building. I feel like once it makes more sense though, I'll be more into it."

I'm hoping! It's a really cool idea, I'm just interested in the structure and how it all works!

Stella wrote: "Yeah, I'm really intrigued by this anti-change thing. It also seems like the eye colors have something to do with the faces of the god? It seems really interesting but I definitely need more inform..."

Ooh, good catch. I'm intrigued by the five god's as well. How does a whole kingdom manage to write off change-- especially when there was literally a goddess of change? Just finished chapter four and it's all still very interesting!

Rusty wrote: "So excited ! I'm gonna start this now ."

Yay! Excited to have you, and I'm hoping we all love it

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments Wondering about the history that makes them fear change. . . I'm sure it's related to them not wanting to let the dead go.

Rusty Grey | 9 comments Okay ! I completed my 4 chapters . It's just the beginning and there is so much going on already . I'm liking this . And Valoria is the MVP for me till now in the story .

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments I appreciate Valoria as well, but I also feel like she might do something stupid/dangerous in her quest for knowledge. Also have mixed feelings about Evander.

Rusty Grey | 9 comments Sabrien wrote: "I appreciate Valoria as well, but I also feel like she might do something stupid/dangerous in her quest for knowledge. Also have mixed feelings about Evander."

Totally agree with you Sabrien ! But I think that Evander might not be morally wrong .

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ | 26 comments How many chapters should we do today? I read a bit farther last night, so I'm on chapter 7 now :D

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments That's good that you're enjoying it, and it's okay if you go at your own pace. Library due dates and other reads as well as my fear of next week want me to have this finished by Sunday, though. Personally, I'd like to at least get through Chapter 12 today (also because I may not be able to read much tomorrow). As long as you mark spoilers in your discussion, it's okay that everyone read at the pace they're comfortable with : )

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments @Rusty
Not necessarily morally, I'm just not sure how I feel about him in general as a character.

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ | 26 comments @Sabrien Sounds good!
I think chapter 5 has the "enthralling and infuriating" girl in it!😊

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments Yay can't wait!

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ | 26 comments I have no idea who the (female) love interest is supposed to be and I really want to figure it out! (Spoilers are for up to chapter eleven) (view spoiler)

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments @Stella
Yeah, me neither. I can't tell if I like or dislike the fact that the love interest isn't obvious.

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ | 26 comments @Sabrien It is a nice change, I suppose! It can get pretty annoying, knowing who the love interest is right away.

I was thinking the love interest would be Valoria, but I'm curious what's going to go down with Odessa/Evander. Didn't get a chance to read much today, but hoping to knock a few chapters out now!

Rusty Grey | 9 comments A festival for olives and tomatoes !

Yeah I guess it is nice; it'll probably be more clear soon.

Yeah I guess it is nice I guess it'll be more clear later on.

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments @Kaylin
I didn't get to read much either, hopefully get some now and early tomorrow to catch up.

message 33: by ellie (last edited Mar 28, 2018 09:55PM) (new)

ellie (hugvvarts) | 7 comments Hi guys!! i'm about a hundred pages in? like exactly 102 or something. my thoughts: i love having a bi main character. like, her commenting that a girl looks pretty and she would love to *ahem* with her if she didn't have evander is SO refreshing like it's just a casual reference to how gay she is and we can all relate. i want more of that. (normalizing gay behavior)

that being said...// vague spoiler: like there have been some deaths so far and i didnt rly feel that emotional about them at all? i wish i did, but it happened so quickly that i was like "wait, they're dead now? oh. okay. i guess?"

Rusty Grey | 9 comments @ ellie . Couldn't agree with you more . I mean in two paragraphs two people die . And I'm like what's next .

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ | 26 comments I'm about a chapter farther than you guys, I think, and the author is definitely trying to make us care, but I feel like you-know-who just wasn't developed enough and he's more of a plot device.

message 36: by ellie (new)

ellie (hugvvarts) | 7 comments Exactly, I think it could’ve been developed more for a bigger emotional punch. Using flashback scenes where she remembers their happiest would’ve worked really well, because it would build up the reader’s comfort with them and then...it all come crashing down. You know? Lol.

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments @love,Ellie
I haven't gotten as far as you guys yet but I get what you mean.

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ | 26 comments Okay I'm on page 192 and I have no idea what is going on... O.O

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ | 26 comments This is getting exciting and now I can't put it down! (spoiler for chapter 20) (view spoiler)

Ahh, sorry I'm going so slow with this! Just finished chapter nine! (view spoiler)

ellie wrote: "Hi guys!! i'm about a hundred pages in? like exactly 102 or something. my thoughts: i love having a bi main character. like, her commenting that a girl looks pretty and she would love to *ahem* wit..."

Yes! I really liked how casual and normalized her bisexuality is!
And I completely agree with the sudden-ness of the deaths. :/

Rusty Grey | 9 comments @ Kaylin I've completed chapter 9 just now too . And yes it was way too predictable . Like he was in this book just for that purpose .

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments I'm going slow as well but I have much more time to catch up today (hopefully) plan to get a lot knocked out!

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ | 26 comments No big deal! I've just had a lot of free time the past few days so I read a lot. :)

Stella wrote: "No big deal! I've just had a lot of free time the past few days so I read a lot. :)"

I'm really glad you liked it!! Can't wait to see what happens! :)

message 46: by Rusty (last edited Apr 01, 2018 02:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rusty Grey | 9 comments I'm sorry guys . But I'll not be able to finish this book . It is too shallow for my tastes . And I still haven't connected with the mc . :( Hope you guys will enjoy at least .

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments Rusty wrote: "I'm sorry guys . But I'll not be able to finish this book . It is too shallow for my tastes . And I still haven't connected with the mc . :( Hope you guys will enjoy at least ."

Its okay, if you're not enjoying it you shouldn't force yourself to keep reading. Thanks!

Rusty wrote: "I'm sorry guys . But I'll not be able to finish this book . It is too shallow for my tastes . And I still haven't connected with the mc . :( Hope you guys will enjoy at least ."

Aww, sorry that it wasn't for you, Rusty! I can see where you're having trouble connecting with the MC though, and I hope you enjoy your next read more!

This got much heavier than I was expecting just reading the blurb?? Like there's all this grief and (view spoiler) and I low-key just want more necromancy?

I'm enjoying learning a little more about the world though.

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments Okay so I just finished this today and I feel like some parts of it were stronger than others and I don't know. . . I think it deserves a reread in the future and maybe I just wasn't in the mood for fantasy I guess? But it's a 3 star read for me.

« previous 1