J.D. Robb discussion

Innocent in Death (In Death, #24)
This topic is about Innocent in Death
In Death Buddy Reads 2016 - 2021 > Innocent In Death - April 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 182 (182 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10394 comments Mod
Our buddy read of the In Death series continues with Innocent in Death. We invite everyone to join our discussion.

Synopsis/Blurb:
The death of history teacher Craig Foster devastated his young wife, who’d sent him off to work that morning with a lovingly packed lunch. It shocked his colleagues at the Upper West Side private school. And as for the ten-year-old girls who found him in his classroom in a pool of bodily fluids, they may have been traumatized for life.

Lieutenant Eve Dallas, of course, is more hardened to murder cases. And this is clearly a murder case. That lovingly packed lunch was tainted with deadly ricin. And Mr. Foster’s colleagues, shocked as they may be, have some shocking secrets of their own. It’s Eve’s job to get a feel for all the potential suspects, and find out why someone would have done this to a man who seemed so inoffensive, so pleasant…so innocent.

Now Magdelana Percell – there’s someone Eve can picture as a murder victim. Possibly at Eve’s own hands. The slinky blonde - an old flame of her billionaire husband, Roarke, from his days on the wrong side of the law – has turned up in New York, and she’s anything but innocent. Unfortunately, Roarke seems blind to Magdelana’s manipulation, but not to her shapely figure and flirtatious ways. And he insists that the occasional lunch or business meeting with her is nothing to worry about…and none of Eve’s business. Eve’s so unnerved by the situation that she finds it hard to focus on the Foster case. Still, she’ll have to put aside her anger, jealousy, and heartbreak, for a while at least - because another man has just turned up dead, and the case is taking some strange turns and hitting some frustrating dead ends.

Eve knows all too well that innocence can be a façade. Keeping that in mind may help her solve this case at last. But it may also tear apart her marriage.

Approximate Timeline: February 2060

Character List:
Eve Dallas
Roarke
David Baxter
Ryan Feeney
Mavis Freestone
Nadine Furst
Leonardo
Ian McNab
Charlotte Mira
Delia Peabody
Lawrence Summerset
Troy Trueheart
Jack Whitney
Bella Eve
Crack
Louise Dimatto
Caro Ewing
Galahad
Morris
Cher Reo
Trina
Anna Whitney

List of Minor & Peripheral Characters:
(view spoiler)

Ready for more? I love this one. We start Innocent April 1.

Phrynne | 308 comments Fantastic! I actually don't remember this one at all but maybe it will come back to me as I read it. I actually like the ones where Roarke and Eve have problems - maybe because I always enjoy them making up!

Michelle | 2332 comments Phrynne. This you will like as it lets you see Roarke in a different light. That he is also human and can be blinded. But you know in the end alls well. Just that journey that incredible to witness

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 589 comments Just finished this one. I was so annoyed at Roarke...for a smart man he sure was dumb..

Phrynne | 308 comments Well we know we are the smarter sex;)

Open discussions start on the 8th. :)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2417 comments I love this one. My heart breaks for Eve a couple times. I agree Roarke annoyed me too.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13391 comments Mod
One of my favorites! I had such anxiety that I stayed up all night to finish it the first go round.

Looking forward to the discussion on this one. Let's be sure to respect our new readers & avoid any spoilers until open discussions begin on the 8th. :)

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 518 comments I am in will start reading this weekend

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments I ordered it from the library and should get it in time for discussion on 8th. A new reader, so I appreciate the "no spoiler zone."

Linda | 65 comments Funny how I start reading a book for the buddy read - say I'll mark all the interetsing points, sayings, etc etc and then go reading straight through without a stop. Finished it again and now will have to go back and reread again to note stuff down and this time I won't forget to make notes (hopefully). :D

Linda wrote: "Funny how I start reading a book for the buddy read - say I'll mark all the interetsing points, sayings, etc etc and then go reading straight through without a stop. Finished it again and now will ..."

I know what you mean, Linda. I have good intentions, but then just get lost in the story & forget all about notes. Sign of a great book! :)

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1313 comments Love books that I can get lost in them. When I can make note then it's like a text book and a book I am enjoying

message 16: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 84 comments I liked this one and look forward re-reading it. This one created lots of different emotions. Can't wait to discuss it.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments From all of your comments, this sounds like another great one. I'm an ID newbie, so looking forward to this one. Got my audio book ready to go...I love the audios for this series.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Karen ♐ wrote: "From all of your comments, this sounds like another great one. I'm an ID newbie, so looking forward to this one. Got my audio book ready to go...I love the audios for this series."

Absolutely!! I can't remember the last time I actually read an In Death. Susan Ericksen is the BEST!!

message 19: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Read this book in book form. Looking forward to listening to it.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 944 comments Started last night and am halfway through. I had a hard time putting it down to go to sleep.

That’s what happened to me, too, Lauren the first time I read it.

Lauren wrote: "Started last night and am halfway through. I had a hard time putting it down to go to sleep."

I'm not at all surprised. I was the same & still am. This one grabs you & doesn't let go.

Karen Rowe | 4 comments Charlene wrote: "I ordered it from the library and should get it in time for discussion on 8th. A new reader, so I appreciate the "no spoiler zone.""

I do the same thing.

Karen Rowe | 4 comments What time will the discussion start?

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2417 comments I have to admit that I love Baxter and the way Susan Ericksen portrays him

Karen wrote: "What time will the discussion start?"

The morning of April 8th. :)

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1313 comments Can't wait

Phrynne | 308 comments Finished. Loved it:)

Charlene (charlenev) | 284 comments I'm a few hours into the audio on this one...one of my favs.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments The audio is on Scribd starting on 4/16 so I'll be a bit later to the discussion this month.

Join the discussion anytime, Karen. You're going to love this one!

Open discussions start on the 8th! :)

message 32: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Finished it last night.

One more day until open discussions! :)

This is now a spoiler zone. Feel free to discuss openly.

Are you ready to jump in? This is an emotional one for sure! For the first time, there's real trouble in paradise - between Roarke & Eve. Let's start there:

1-From the moment Madeline strolls up to their table in the restaurant, Eve senses that this ex-lover, this woman from Roarke's past, is different than all the others. Why? What makes her different, and why does Eve consider Madeline a threat to her marriage?

2-Eve's world is rocked & she's hurt by Roarke's actions or lack thereof and by the situation with Madeline. In your opinion, is Eve justified in her feelings and/or should she have just trusted Roarke & told him upfront how she felt? In your opinion, where do these confusing emotions, insecurities, and questions stem from? Why does Eve allow the situation with Madeline to send her world so off-kilter?

3-In the beginning, Roarke is angry & hurt that Eve questions him instead of just trusting his love for her, and he doesn't realize how much the situation is hurting Eve. In your opinion, is Roarke justified in his feelings and/or should he have known what it was doing to Eve? Why do you think Roarke has a blind spot when it comes to Madeline when he knows she's a player? What does this ex-lover really mean to Roarke?

4-Out of all the monumental Roarke/Eve/Madeline scenes in this book, what is your favorite and why?

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2417 comments This is one of my favorites for so many reasons.

1-From the moment Madeline strolls up to their table in the restaurant, Eve senses that this ex-lover, this woman from Roarke's past, is different than all the others. Why? What makes her different, and why does Eve consider Madeline a threat to her marriage?

Magdelana hits all the wrong buttons for Eve. She is beautiful, confident, and can participate with Roarke on any criminal scheme he might devise. In her heart, Eve knows Roarke loves her but the thought that he could hope to still be with another woman who could be perfect on his arm, crushes her.

One of the most telling thoughts of Eve's (to me) was after her talk with Summerset "She'd never do anything but and wasn't it strange she'd forgotten just how much fear and misery love could carry with it?"

I have a note in my book from my first read, "it feels like Eve is preparing herself to walk away from Roarke if he needs her to go." I still get teary when I get to this point.

Sharon wrote: "This is one of my favorites for so many reasons.

1-From the moment Madeline strolls up to their table in the restaurant, Eve senses that this ex-lover, this woman from Roarke's past, is different..."

That "moment" struck me the instant I read it. I kept reading, looking for some assurance that it meant nothing and my worst fears seemed to be confirmed...she WAS special and meant something deeper to Roarke. I pretty much finished the book in one sitting, or at least until I felt better:)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2417 comments 2-Eve's world is rocked & she's hurt by Roarke's actions or lack thereof and by the situation with Madeline. In your opinion, is Eve justified in her feelings and/or should she have just trusted Roarke & told him upfront how she felt? In your opinion, where do these confusing emotions, insecurities, and questions stem from? Why does Eve allow the situation with Madeline to send her world so off-kilter?

Eve is justified there are moments of secrecy whether intentional or not. Any secrecy is reason for flags to go up. I do think Eve should have talked to Roarke early on, but fear is a funny thing. Hiding and pushing the fear away is easier than finding out what you fear is a real possibility. It is the conflict of wanting to know and not wanting the confirmation at the same time. Eve does trust Roarke not to cheat on her while expecting him to tell her he is ready to move on to someone else.

This book slays me every single time. So much hurt and doubt and feelings on all sides. It helped me that readers are privy to Roarke's thoughts during it all so there's never any doubt there of his first choice always. But the journey through it all is very emotional. One of my all-time favorites.

Nicely stated, Sandra. The only book in the series, for me, that surpasses it emotionally is Conspiracy. Two very different places on the emotional spectrum but they both cut deep.

Jonetta wrote: "Nicely stated, Sandra. The only book in the series, for me, that surpasses it emotionally is Conspiracy. Two very different places on the emotional spectrum but they both cut deep."

Yes, they do! Robb is such an expert on writing - well, everything (lol) - but especially in writing characters & their emotional growth & journey. She knows how to place readers in the scene where they feel every single emotion.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2417 comments I agree with both of you. This is a very emotional study of characters and growth. Conspiracy emotionally drained me too. It is interesting in both of these books there is a Summerset scene that tears me apart and gives insight into his feelings for Eve.

Ah! Nice observation.

Sharon wrote: "I agree with both of you. This is a very emotional study of characters and growth. Conspiracy emotionally drained me too. It is interesting in both of these books there is a Summerset scene that te..."

I love Summerset! And he proves in this one that he has the greatest respect for Eve & knows she is the one for Roarke. Loved how he was in her corner and how, when it was all said & done, they returned to sniping at one another saying "There. Things are all back to normal now." Or something to that effect. I also loved that Eve gutted up & told Summerset that she appreciated his support in the end. Love the dynamics between these 2 most important people in Roarke's life.

So - Eve's a cop, a trained observer...why didn't she realize the video was set-up by Madeline? That video slayed Eve - pushed her right over the edge. It took Mavis pointing it out to her before she realized the video was a set-up. Shouldn't she have known? Why didn't she just trust that Roarke would never betray her or intentionally put on such a public display that would embarrass them both?

message 45: by Sandra (last edited Apr 08, 2018 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I also enjoyed the case in this book...really heart-breaking to so many. The motive was hard to grasp at first. Who did you first suspect as the murderer & why? Did you ever suspect that ten-year-old Rayleen was the killer and a sociopath before it was revealed? Why or why not? What are your thoughts on the scene where Eve manipulates Rayleen into a full confession while Rayleen's father (& others) listened?

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1313 comments Feeling are just feeling no one can justify them. Eve thinks she is not good enough for Roarke and she someday he will not loving her because she is unlovable.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1313 comments Eve did not realize Medeline had set-up

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1313 comments Eve did not realize Medeline set-up the picture was she was thinking like a women in love not a cop. All Eve saw was the man she love look in to the eyes of the woman he once loved.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2417 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "So - Eve's a cop, a trained observer...why didn't she realize the video was set-up by Madeline? That video slayed Eve - pushed her right over the edge. It took Mavis pointing it out to her before s..."

When Eve saw the video she saw it through the eyes of the hurt wife not a cop. Even though she went to bed feeling she was on stable ground again, she didn't address her fears and concerns with Roarke. There is still that niggling doubt that she pushed down but couldn't completely hide.

Magdelana is a master manipulator and knew from her meeting with Eve at Central that Eve has concerns. Even cops need to watch a video a couple times to see the tells. Eve didn't allow herself to watch for any nuance or clues because she might see the truth in Roarke's eyes.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2417 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I also enjoyed the case in this book...really heart-breaking to so many. The motive was hard to grasp at first. Who did you first suspect as the murderer & why? Did you ever suspect that ten-year-o..."

What I like about this case is the various ways that love is addressed and how love can build up and also hurt. It is interesting to me that as much as Roarke loves Eve he never saw how he hurt or wouldn't admit that he hurt her when he allowed Maggie to worm her way back into his life. Roarke is more concerned with what he considered a lack of trust than his hand in the situation.

The story shows that a parent can love a child so much that they don't address a darkness in the child. A spouse can justify hurting their partner because of a hurt that someone so close can't heal. A boss can need physical love so badly that they put their job on the line. The young love of the victim and his wife that is cut off too soon.

Regarding the murderer, I thought it was the principle or one of the teachers initially. I started to suspect Rayleen when she came in her room when Eve was searching for evidence. There was something about her that rubbed me wrong. Rayleen reminds me of a kid in a movie I saw once. I can't remember the name but he was pure evil. It made me think that Robb tends to use a lot of movies as inspiration.

« previous 1 3 4