What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Doom Machine
This topic is about The Doom Machine
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA or middle grade SF book - set in the 50s/60s, boy and girl steal a "souped-up flying saucer", features planet full of aliens who don't experience linear time [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Artemis (new) - added it

Artemis | 18 comments When I was in middle school, I think (2007-2010), I read a book on a whim at my local library that I remember enjoying but it's bothering me that I can't remember it. It had been recently published/acquired, I think, which is why it was on display and caught my eye, so it's likely from 2005-2009.

It was a YA or MG book, set in the 50s or 60s, I'm pretty sure. Two main characters, preteens or teens, a white boy who fixes up cars and a black girl whose parents were scientists. They become friends and end up stealing an alien flying saucer from... a government research facility, maybe? I distinctly remember the phrase "souped-up flying saucer". They travel through space on some sort of mission. One place they end up (I think they crash-land and have to repair their ship), about halfway through the book, is a (gray, misty?) planet clearly inspired by the Tralfamadorians from Slaughterhouse-Five, i.e. the aliens can see all of time at once and are unconcerned with the fact that these kids are in a hurry. The aliens try to explain their view of time and how linear time doesn't exist for them, and it gives the boy a headache trying to understand it. This wasn't the main plot of the book, and was actually kind of weirdly stuck in all things considered, but it's a scene I remember vividly.

I think the cover was gray and had two kids and a flying saucer on it. The whole book had a kind of A Wrinkle In Time vibe.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Artemis --
You can bump your thread every month or so. This puts your book back at the top of the folder instead of on page 24. More people and newer eyes will see it and perhaps know your book. Good luck!

message 3: by Artemis (new) - added it

Artemis | 18 comments Kate wrote: "Artemis --
You can bump your thread every month or so. This puts your book back at the top of the folder instead of on page 24. More people and newer eyes will see it and perhaps know your book."

Ah okay, thanks! I didn't want to bump too soon or anything

message 5: by Artemis (new) - added it

Artemis | 18 comments Oh, hey, yeah, I think that's it! Thanks!

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16278 comments You're welcome, glad to help out!