Horror Aficionados discussion

Audio Group Listens > April 2018 Group Listen: LOVECRAFT COUNTRY, by Matt Ruff

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5739 comments Mod
Our winner for the April 2018 Group Listen is Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff Lovecraft Country, by Matt Ruff.

Please remember to use spoiler tags, and have fun!

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 186 comments This book is astonishingly perfect. I loved it as much as I loved Garth Stein's A Sudden Light, Paul Tremblay's Disappearance at Devil's Rock, Victor LaValle's Ballad of Black Tom, Antti Tuomainen's The Mine, and of course, my beloved Lovecraft--which is to say, I love Lovecraft Country with all my heart. I will be right here reading again.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

I need to read this one--I've seen so many great reviews for it!

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Joseph Schumann (mjsbooksmusic) | 1 comments I've been dying (literally 😉) to read this one since I read about it and I guess I climbed on board at the perfect time it seems. So divine intervention or happenstance strikes once again. Good to see my friends The Haunted Reading Room and Kimberly are on board to therefore I'm in good company.

Please somebody tell me what I'm supposed to do next since I'm new here. I assume we are supposed to be listening to the audio version of this as opposed to reading it so I'm not quite sure yet. Keep in mind I'm not on the desktop version of the website but the phone app therefore I don't have all the latitude, instructions, and/or hyperlinks that provides. I will need to know where to go next and whether I have to pay to listen to the book or need to download it to my phone which may be a problem at this time, will explain later.

Thank you all for the excellent choice and future assistance you will provide.

Looking forward to this book and very anxious to get started.

Peace, my friends

MJS

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 396 comments Ironically, I will be LISTENING to the group READ (The Elementals) and READING the group LISTEN (this book). Ah well, at least I own 2 of this month's choices, whatever the format may be! (Also- I highly recommend The Elementals via Audible as the narrator, RC Bray is frigging amazing!) --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Jen--LOL! I "still" have a problem listening to a narrator read a book, so I will be READING this while everyone else listens. As long as we keep where we're at (I'm at ?%, or Chapter ?) and use spoiler tags, it will work no matter what format you prefer.

message 7: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I've been curious about this one for a while.:))

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 149 comments I just started and I really like it so far! All the references to Lovecraft are making me very happy. It's also very sobering to read about the every day instances of racism faced by the main characters.

message 9: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10688 comments Mod
well I had planned on skipping this one but since I marked it as to read in july 2017, i'll give it a listen but it will probably be a couple of weeks.

message 10: by Becko (new)

Becko | 41 comments All checked out from my library, on my Nook ready to go .. now I just need life to line up so I can start reading.

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 149 comments Does anyone else feel that the transition between scenes is abrupt? I don't know if it's the writing or the reading of it but I often find myself wondering if I skipped something.

message 12: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 156 comments Does anyone else feel that the transition between scenes is abrupt?

I did at first, but this almost feels like a short story collection with each story focusing on a different character. I'm really enjoying it. I'm finding the way the stories tie together very interesting.

message 13: by Latasha (new)

I should begin this next week.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I | 60 comments Loved listening to this one. Kevin Kenerly has such a great voice.

message 15: by Latasha (new)

Started this today.. well I wasn’t expecting all that!

message 16: by Latasha (last edited Apr 10, 2018 01:51PM) (new)

I'm not sure I'm going to finish this. I did not expect all the awful racism in it. I don't know about it. yeah, I get that the book is set in jim crow era and yes, it was awful, terrible, horrible. I have no tolerance for racism of any kind or color. but, for me, it's not adding anything to the story but distracting. cause I get all pissed off about it and get distracted.
Nick's comment about it being a short story collection really helped. if I hadn't known that before, I would've thought I missed sections of the download. what do y'all think?

message 17: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 149 comments I think the whole point of the book is the racism. It's showing how there are horror stories and monsters that are make-believe, and then there are the real-life ones that people must deal with every day.

message 18: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 156 comments I also think the racism is part of the story and adds a layer to the horror. I see it as there are many things in horror that I personally deplore (murder, child abuse, etc.) but most times it is part of the story. Other times it is gratuitous and only there to shock, and that I do not care for.

Up to you as the reader, but in this case it's part of the narrative. I hate racism but I am REALLY enjoying this book.

message 19: by Latasha (new)

thank you both for your thoughts. I didn't think of either of these things.

message 20: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 156 comments Thanks Latasha - hope you stick with us. I have 1 chapter to go and I think this has been a great book, shaping up to be a 5 star read for me.

message 21: by Latasha (new)

I don't think i'll pick it back up but thanks.

message 22: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 127 comments I've been listening to this for a day or so and am really enjoying it. As I recently finished Mudbound my initial reaction was Oh no, not more racism! A steady diet of ugliness gets hard to swallow. But then it occurred to me that a book about H.P. Lovecraft that doesn't address racism would be the real obscenity. Once I settled in, I realized what a remarkable job Ruff did in creating the characters and the story. I recently wrote in a review of Michael McDowell's Gilded Needles that horror has more impact when comes not from imaginary monsters but real ones. It appears that that may be the case in this book as well.

message 23: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 149 comments This was a fantastic read; an amazing story that deftly wove together real-life Jim Crow racism and fantasy world of HP Lovecraft and others. I love how each character got to have their POV and be fleshed out and how at the end they all came together and all the stories tied together. Wonderfully written! I can easily see this being a mini-series and if so, I will watch every minute of it.

message 24: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 156 comments I also finished and gave this 5 stars. I thought these were great stories, and really enjoyed how they all tied together and then wrapped up at the end.
Did anyone else who has finished (view spoiler) I will be seeking out more of Matt Ruff's novels.

Also, a series is being developed from this for HBO and I'm really looking forward to that!

message 25: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 149 comments Nickronomicon wrote: "I also finished and gave this 5 stars. I thought these were great stories, and really enjoyed how they all tied together and then wrapped up at the end.
Did anyone else who has finished [spoilers r..."

re: your spoiler

I definitely can agree in a way.

message 26: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 127 comments Nickronomicon wrote: "Also, a series is being developed from this for HBO and I'm really looking forward to that! "

Excellent! I'll be sure to watch that.

message 27: by Latasha (new)

I would to, at least give it a try.

message 28: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 149 comments Jurnee Smollett-Bell officially cast as Letitia!