Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > April 2018 Group Read #2: THE DEMONIC, by Lee Mountford

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kimberly (last edited Mar 26, 2018 03:52PM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5854 comments Mod
For the April 2018 Group Read, we have a tie! Since we use the top two winners for Group Reads anyway, they will both be featured this month!
The second Group Read is The Demonic by Lee Mountford The Demonic, by Lee Mountford.

Remember to use spoiler tags, and have fun!

message 2: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10842 comments Mod
I’ll be joining in for this one.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

I recently read this one, and LOVED it! (On my "Best of 2017" list).

message 4: by kas (new)

kas (bella327) | 22 comments Count me in!

message 5: by Ami (new)

Ami | 199 comments Looks interesting! I'll give it a try as well :D

message 6: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments I've finally gotten back into a reading mode. Hopefully I can keep it up long enough to get in on this one after a year and a half off!

message 7: by kas (new)

kas (bella327) | 22 comments Finished!

message 8: by Latasha (new)

I haven't even started yet lol!

message 9: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments 8% so far.

Not many thoughts so far, but between the amount of foreshadowing and the descriptions of the town, I feel like I'm reading something closer to Salem's Lot than The Exorcist or Insidious.

message 10: by Leviathan Libraries (last edited Apr 02, 2018 05:31AM) (new)

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) 12% in - a very oppressive feeling already,isn't it?

Shortly after this, I hit one of the reasons it's been likened to (view spoiler) and jumped. So, yeah, the oppressive feeling is a good one for setting things up!

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) 20% in - I'm not sure how I feel about this. There was no waiting around for stuff to start, was there? Is it too much too soon or perfect amount?

message 12: by Leviathan Libraries (last edited Apr 02, 2018 08:53AM) (new)

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Done.

Did you guys peg (view spoiler)

What did you think about Arthur?

The ending (view spoiler)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I started this last night. This is one I think will be good for reading in bed at night, with the lights off, on my Kindle. I'm only about 7% of the way in and (view spoiler)

message 14: by Kimberly (new)

Eli wrote: "I started this last night. This is one I think will be good for reading in bed at night, with the lights off, on my Kindle. I'm only about 7% of the way in and [spoilers removed]"

I think "most" of us feel that way, here....

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Eli wrote: "I started this last night. This is one I think will be good for reading in bed at night, with the lights off, on my Kindle. I'm only about 7% of the way in and [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, that scene had me cringing too.

message 16: by Latasha (new)

I’m starting this today

message 17: by Latasha (new)

Chapter 13-
(view spoiler)

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Latasha wrote: "Chapter 13-
[spoilers removed]"

re Chapter 13: (view spoiler)

message 19: by Latasha (last edited Apr 03, 2018 01:31PM) (new)

ok, I listened to this today at work. I'm not finished yet but I like it so far. I don't really like John even before they get to the house. (view spoiler)the author sure throws you right in and doesn't waste time getting to it. I like that. the guy reading the book, Hannibal hills. yes really, does a great job. every time I read a book like this, I am so thankful for my mom & sister. we are all believers in the paranormal so there has never been that far of telling them about any experiences. I know they will believe me and be by my side.

https://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Th...
see? I was joking about the narrator lol

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Latasha wrote: "ok, I listened to this today at work. I'm not finished yet but I like it so far. I don't really like John even before they get to the house. [spoilers removed]the author sure throws you right in an..."

The pace was something I really appreciated at first as well.

message 21: by Latasha (new)

I finished it today and I liked it, I gave it 4 stars. I love the fast pace of it. the ending surprised me (view spoiler) in the version y'all read, is there an author's note at the end talking about how this story came to be?

message 22: by Kimberly (new)

Latasha wrote: "I finished it today and I liked it, I gave it 4 stars. I love the fast pace of it. the ending surprised me [spoilers removed] in the version y'all read, is there an author's note at the end talking..."

(view spoiler). As for the author's note, I'll have to go back to my copy and check...

message 23: by Leviathan Libraries (last edited Apr 04, 2018 07:04PM) (new)

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Latasha wrote: "I finished it today and I liked it, I gave it 4 stars. I love the fast pace of it. the ending surprised me [spoilers removed] in the version y'all read, is there an author's note at the end talking..."

There was an explanation in the version I read. It actually made me forgive some of the stuff that bothered me, because I understood how it needed to be there.

message 24: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments 24% and I'm really getting a 'movie' vibe from it. There is the sense that it's coming along fast like they're trying to cram the whole story into an hour and a half like that.

Also (view spoiler)

message 25: by Latasha (new)

Shaun wrote: "24% and I'm really getting a 'movie' vibe from it. There is the sense that it's coming along fast like they're trying to cram the whole story into an hour and a half like that.

Also [spoilers rem..."

I agree but I guess some just can't accept the fact it may be something they can't see. the culprit.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Shaun wrote: "24% and I'm really getting a 'movie' vibe from it. There is the sense that it's coming along fast like they're trying to cram the whole story into an hour and a half like that.

Also [spoilers rem..."

I am also at 24% and feel much the same as you, Shaun. Movie vibes. Get the heck out of there! It feels a bit cliche also. Nothing too terrifying or unique at this point. Nevertheless, it’s a fun read so far.

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Shaun wrote: "24% and I'm really getting a 'movie' vibe from it. There is the sense that it's coming along fast like they're trying to cram the whole story into an hour and a half like that.

Also [spoilers rem..."

I think cramming it into an hour and a half movie is the perfect description. While I mentioned earlier that I liked the fast pace at first, by the end I felt like it just moved too fast.

I jumped the first time (view spoiler) and that made me laugh because I don't think a book has ever made me jump like a movie before.

message 28: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary) wrote: "Shaun wrote: "24% and I'm really getting a 'movie' vibe from it. There is the sense that it's coming along fast like they're trying to cram the whole story into an hour and a half like that.

Also..."

That is the benefit of writing a book similar to the current crop of horror movies. It makes things that much easier to visualize because you've probably literally just seen it in the past couple months.

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Shaun wrote: "Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary) wrote: "Shaun wrote: "24% and I'm really getting a 'movie' vibe from it. There is the sense that it's coming along fast like they're trying to cram the whole story into a..."

That's very true! In fact, a day or so after I read it, I ended up watching Insidious: The Last Key.

message 30: by Tasmin (new)

Tasmin Bradshaw (taz13) | 8 comments I've had this book for awhile I think I'll definitely do this one once I finish the book I'm reading.

message 31: by Jason (new)

Jason Davis (hajasonrdavis) | 11 comments Going to get a late start but am about to start.

message 32: by Kimberly (new)

Jason wrote: "Going to get a late start but am about to start."

It's never too late to start! (Says the mod who hasn't started her re-read yet...) ;)

message 33: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments Just because other people were done right after the book was chosen doesn't mean you're late! We have all month to read it! :-P

message 34: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Hanson-Brown (dozerpup711) | 33 comments I enjoyed this one. The pace was just right and absolutely gave the story a cinematic flair. It very much reminded me of something that would be in my Netflix queue.

message 35: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments Up to 40% now. Jon is kind of starting to piss me off. It's one thing to deny what happened to him, but to then to force your wife and children to stay in a place they're obviously terrified of...

Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos | 71 comments I’m in. I’ll start tomorrow.

message 37: by kas (new)

kas (bella327) | 22 comments I really like this author. His first book reminded me a bit of Laymon.

I love that his booms (so far) ate very fast paced.

The Demonic was good. A bit predictable, but a fun read.

message 38: by Kimberly (last edited Apr 12, 2018 06:04AM) (new)

Shaun wrote: "Up to 40% now. Jon is kind of starting to piss me off. It's one thing to deny what happened to him, but to then to force your wife and children to stay in a place they're obviously terrified of..."

I thought Jon was a (view spoiler)

Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos | 71 comments Yay! First few chapters down.

message 40: by Anabella (new)

Anabella | 80 comments GRRR!!! My library doesn't have anything under Lee Mountford!

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Anna wrote: "GRRR!!! My library doesn't have anything under Lee Mountford!"

That sucks :(

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 397 comments I am about 15% into the book so far, and I am enjoying it. However, I cannot exactly express what I mean when I say this: The writing is BOTH slow and fast paced....one the one hand, we have these lavish descriptions and tons of foreshadowing and untold (so far) mysteries of the MC's past-- all things which SHOULD be 'slow reading' usually, as these are thematic, story building devices, yet I feel that the reading is actually going super quickly for some reason! Again, apologies as I am not exactly sure how to express what I am trying to say here....also, I am very much in need of sleep and not making much sense in general atm! --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 43: by Anabella (new)

Anabella | 80 comments Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary) wrote: "Anna wrote: "GRRR!!! My library doesn't have anything under Lee Mountford!"

That sucks :("

Half of the time I have to opt out of Buddy Reads because the books are unavailable. I should try Kindle next time.

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Jennifer Lynn wrote: "I am about 15% into the book so far, and I am enjoying it. However, I cannot exactly express what I mean when I say this: The writing is BOTH slow and fast paced....one the one hand, we have these ..."

I thought it read much like a horror movie.

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Anna wrote: "Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary) wrote: "Anna wrote: "GRRR!!! My library doesn't have anything under Lee Mountford!"

That sucks :("
Half of the time I have to opt out of Buddy Reads because the books ar..."

Yeah, that really sucks :( If you do go for Kindle, even if you can't afford it or something, someone may be able to lend you their version!

message 46: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments Also, if you don't want to (or can't afford) a kindle, the kindle app is free to download on smartphones, or even to a computer.

message 47: by Leviathan Libraries (last edited Apr 16, 2018 12:36PM) (new)

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Shaun wrote: "Also, if you don't want to (or can't afford) a kindle, the kindle app is free to download on smartphones, or even to a computer."

I have a Kindle, and still have the Kindle app on my phone, and I access the Kindle Cloud Reader on my computer. I love that I can read the same book basically wherever I am because of how it syncs across.

message 48: by Latasha (new)

We always have a kindle lending thread. I’ll try to find it later & link to it. Some of us even have lendable shelves. I do.

message 49: by Shaun (last edited Apr 18, 2018 12:46PM) (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments Finished. I dropped it at three stars. I don't know if I'd say it was good, but it was better than just okay. Lots of cliches and extremely similar to the current crop of supernatural horror movies we've seen the last couple years even including (view spoiler) Still, it is well written with a decent pace. I've certainly read worse.

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Shaun wrote: "Finished. I dropped it at three stars. I don't know if I'd say it was good, but it was better than just okay. Lots of cliches and extremely similar to the current crop of supernatural horror movies..."

Yeah, I rated it a 3 as well.

« previous 1