What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Young adult/ghost story/mystery 1970ish. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Chris --
You can bump your thread every month or so. This puts your book back at the top of the folder instead of on page 25. More people and newer eyes will see it and perhaps know your book. Good luck!

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott I am not sure of the plot details but this reminds me of the work of John Bellairs, who wrote multiple series' about boys about 12, who had an older male friend or relative. In The House with a Clock in Its Walls the boy does live with his uncle. The series takes place in the mid-1900s.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32094 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of The House with a Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs - Scott's suggestion - https://books.google.com/books?id=sjy... There are different cover images.

message 4: by Alexis (last edited Apr 30, 2018 08:20AM) (new)

Alexis (Nidhogg) | 43 comments The wet ash detail sounds very much like The Figure in the Shadows by John Bellairs. There is nothing I recall about a cigar (although the uncle, Jonathan Barnavelt, does do a bit of pipe and hookah smoking), but the part about the person dying in a fire and smelling of wet ash is spot on.

The second book you mentioned with the silver dollars on the eyes is almost certainly The Letter, the Witch, and the Ring, also by Bellairs. While it does include Lewis (the main character in the first book), that book centers on his best friend Rose Rita.