YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Dreamland Burning
This topic is about Dreamland Burning
BUDDY READ: Historical Fiction > Dreamland Burning by Jennifer Latham - Starting April 14th 2018

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83308 comments Mod
Some bodies won’t stay buried. Some stories need to be told.

When seventeen-year-old Rowan Chase finds a skeleton on her family’s property, she has no idea that investigating the brutal century-old murder will lead to a summer of painful discoveries about the past, the present, and herself.

One hundred years earlier, a single violent encounter propels seventeen-year-old Will Tillman into a racial firestorm. In a country rife with violence against blacks and a hometown segregated by Jim Crow, Will must make hard choices on a painful journey towards self discovery and face his inner demons in order to do what’s right the night Tulsa burns.

message 2: by Ryn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments Wow! What a great start to a great book! The opener is (view spoiler)

message 3: by Ryn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments to p. 169
Okay so I can't decide if we're going to know who it is early or if this really is supposed to be a mystery. At first I assumed the (view spoiler)

message 4: by Ryn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments I live in Oklahoma, and this story hits incredibly close to home. Not because it feels racist here particularly, but simply because I know the towns and spaces described in this story. With all the attention drawn currently to racism in police brutality across the country, perhaps it's fitting that this event is being brought back to light... there isn't a lot written or known about it generally. Anna Meyers wrote Tulsa Burning a while back, but it's just not a commonly known bit of history.

message 5: by Ryn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments Well... I guess it's got to be (view spoiler) It reminds me so very much of Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.

message 6: by Ryn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments p. 303
(view spoiler)

message 7: by Ryn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments Wait... (view spoiler) Another good companion read to this story would be the March 1, 2 and 3 books. And All American Boys by Jason Reynolds. This story is so not-preachy or didactic though. It just IS... and that's what makes it powerful.

message 8: by Ryn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments p.336
So it's Joseph. Died young. Broken wrist must have been a coincidence. I wonder who the other one bleeding is and the tooth.

message 9: by Ryn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments Fin
Okay (view spoiler)

Incredible, powerful book. It's going to stay with me a long time. Totally recommend. It's also up for a Sequoyah Intermediate AND High School award, and now I know why.