YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

BUDDY READ: Historical Fiction > The Librarian of Auschwitz by Antonio Iturbe, Lilit Thwaites - Starting April 11th 2018

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 84183 comments Mod
Based on the experience of real-life Auschwitz prisoner Dita Kraus, this is the incredible story of a girl who risked her life to keep the magic of books alive during the Holocaust.
Fourteen-year-old Dita is one of the many imprisoned by the Nazis at Auschwitz. Taken, along with her mother and father, from the Terezín ghetto in Prague, Dita is adjusting to the constant terror that is life in the camp. When Jewish leader Freddy Hirsch asks Dita to take charge of the eight precious volumes the prisoners have managed to sneak past the guards, she agrees. And so Dita becomes the librarian of Auschwitz.

Out of one of the darkest chapters of human history comes this extraordinary story of courage and hope.

message 2: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia | 5775 comments I can't wait to start this one... I have a feeling this is going to make me tear up big time...

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee | 1443 comments I really hope y'all enjoy this!!! I really want to read it, but am still on what seems like the never ending hold.

message 4: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia | 5775 comments I hate that never ending hold! I had to buy it I wasn’t patient enough.

message 5: by Lee (new)

Lee | 1443 comments Haha. I don't blame you. I've been on hold since January 30th and feel like at this point I might as well wait the next 12 weeks. 😂

message 6: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia | 5775 comments I started this today.

message 7: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia | 5775 comments 20.0% (view spoiler)

message 8: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia | 5775 comments 38.92% (view spoiler)

message 9: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia | 5775 comments 53.0% (view spoiler)

message 10: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia | 5775 comments 86.0% (view spoiler)

message 11: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia | 5775 comments 89.0% (view spoiler)

message 12: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia | 5775 comments Finished... (view spoiler)

message 13: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia | 5775 comments I loved that the author gave us an update to what happened to some of the SS in the book...

message 14: by Ryn (new)

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments Started this one today! Can't wait.

message 15: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia | 5775 comments Yeay I hope you enjoy it. It was informational

message 16: by Ryn (new)

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments So very graphic. I always think I've read enough about the Holocaust that nothing will shock or revolt me anymore, and then new research turns up that makes me shudder all over again. I can never believe it. I had never actually heard about (view spoiler) Going to be a hard one to read.

message 17: by Ryn (new)

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments I'm having the hardest time staying involved with this book. I'm not really sure why -- I like it (if like is the right word for anything about the Holocaust) while I'm reading it, but...

(view spoiler) I'm going to keep reading it but I can't be super enthusiastic about it yet.

message 18: by Ryn (new)

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments Still slogging away on this. I'm so surprised because normally I burn through Holocaust stories. I will say that the constant shift in POV and time, especially from Terazin to the camps is crazy confusing, but I can't quite identify what it is that isn't working for me with this book.