Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > She Persisted:13 American Women Who Changed The World - C. Clinton - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (last edited Mar 26, 2018 12:59PM) (new)

Jgrace | 2943 comments She Persisted by Chelsea Clinton

She Persisted:13 American Women Who Changed The World - Clinton
5 stars

“So, if anyone ever tells you no, of anyone says your voice isn't important or your dreams are too big, remember these women. They persisted and so should you.”
― Chelsea Clinton, She Persisted

This book made me want to cheer out loud. I think it may become my new favorite baby shower gift for mom’s of baby girls. (Not quite as funny as The Paper Bag Princess, but even more important.) I was tempted to buy it for my grandnephews. Why shouldn’t they hear about stong women? However, the text is clearly directed to young girls. The first line is, “Sometimes being a girl isn’t easy.” Published reading levels of this book vary, but I think 2nd grade and up. Scholastic is marketing it in inexpensive book sets for group instruction. It almost makes me wish I was still teaching...almost.

The book features two page, illustrated, mini-bios of 13 American women. Some of these names are universally well known. Others such as, Margaret Chase Smith and Clara Lemlich are less familiar. The message is very clear. They persisted and so should you.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Glad to hear that it's a good book, not just a celebrity book.

message 3: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2943 comments Cheryl wrote: "Glad to hear that it's a good book, not just a celebrity book."

Not at all. It's a children's picture book. The language is simple. Some background bio about the difficulties these prominent woman overcame to achieve their goals. Good illustrations. There's another one called She Persisted Around the World: 13 Women Who Changed History.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I wish this was a more advanced book. Don't get me wrong, this is great for kids, especially little girls, but I was thinking this might be like a "A Briefs History of American Women who Changed the World" kinda thing.

Michelle (MichelleBookAddict) (maslme) | 186 comments Got this for my niece and she really liked it. Was excited about how there’s another Persisted book.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Jgrace wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Glad to hear that it's a good book, not just a celebrity book."

Not at all. It's a children's picture book. The language is simple. Some background bio about the difficulties these ..."

Right, it's on my list. I didn't know there was a sequel, so that's welcome information. And I actually saw it today at Costco.... :)

message 7: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6196 comments This sounds fun!

message 8: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2943 comments Jason wrote: "I wish this was a more advanced book. Don't get me wrong, this is great for kids, especially little girls, but I was thinking this might be like a "A Briefs History of American Women who Changed th..."

I'm sure there's a book of that kind out there somewhere, Jason. Also individual biographies and autobiographies of each of these women. I can recommend Helen Keller's The Story of My Life and Sonia Sotomayor's My Beloved World. I'm working on my review of the second one.