We Read Stuff discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books of the Month Nominations > May 2018 Nomninations

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (last edited Apr 11, 2018 05:10PM) (new)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Let's hear your nominations for May, this time it's paranormal and to quote from the goodreads page on the genre:

Paranormal books involve unusual experiences that lack a scientific explanation. Some popular subjects in paranormal books are supernatural creatures, ESP, clairvoyance, ghosts, UFOs, telepathy, and psychics.

A sub genre of paranormal books and of romances is paranormal romance. These books focus mainly on the romantic relationships with a background theme of vampires, shapeshifters, ghosts, time travel, fantastical beings, and psychic abilities.

A few reminders about nominations:

- You may nominate one book AND second one book

- If we get more than 10 nominations then the 10 books with the most seconds will go to the poll.

- Graphic novels, manga, and comics are allowed to be nominated

-There are no minimum page counts for a book to be nominated.

- Books must be first in a series or a stand alone unless the group has already read the book in the series that came before the one being nominated.

Nominations:

Pet Sematary by Stephen King (2 seconds)
Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal
Naomi's Room by Jonathan Aycliffe
Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Miranda | 5 comments Apologies for just a link I the previous post.

I nominate Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal.

during World War I, is engaged to Captain Benjamin Harford, an intelligence officer. Ginger is a medium for the Spirit Corps, a special Spiritualist force.

Each soldier heading for the front is conditioned to report to the mediums of the Spirit Corps when they die so the Corps can pass instant information about troop movements to military intelligence.

Ginger and her fellow mediums contribute a great deal to the war efforts, so long as they pass the information through appropriate channels. While Ben is away at the front, Ginger discovers the presence of a traitor. Without the presence of her fiance to validate her findings, the top brass thinks she's just imagining things. Even worse, it is clear that the Spirit Corps is now being directly targeted by the German war effort. Left to her own devices, Ginger has to find out how the Germans are targeting the Spirit Corps and stop them. This is a difficult and dangerous task for a woman of that era, but this time both the spirit and the flesh are willing…

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Chris wrote: "Apologies for just a link I the previous post.

I nominate Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal.

during World War I, is engaged to Captain Benjamin Harford, an intelligence officer. Ginger is a m..."

oooooh this one sounds really neat!

I've got it added to our nominations list :) I'm still contemplating which I'm going to nominate myself...

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) I think for my own nomination I will go with Naomi's Room by Jonathan Aycliffe

message 6: by Valeria (new)

Valeria (valea22) | 64 comments Naomi’s room it’s ok. I read it years ago but didn’t love it.

I’d like to nominate Pet Sematary by Stephen King.

message 7: by Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (last edited Apr 04, 2018 12:42AM) (new)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Valeria wrote: "Naomi’s room it’s ok. I read it years ago but didn’t love it.

I’d like to nominate Pet Sematary by Stephen King."

I’ve heard mixed reviews on it. (Naomi’s room) I’m interested to see if it lives up to all the claims of it being “creepy”. I was considering nominating a paranormal romance instead but I’ve been in the mood for something creepy so I decided I would rather throw this one is as my nomination.

I’ve got Pet Sematary in the nomination list :) I’ve see then movie but haven’t read the book yet.

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly (ufcasey) Going with the sub category of paranormal romance I'd like to nominate Burn for Me. The book cover is terrible, and the blurb is not much better, but it's a book I personally really enjoyed and would happily take up the excuse to re-read it :)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Holly wrote: "Going with the sub category of paranormal romance I'd like to nominate Burn for Me. The book cover is terrible, and the blurb is not much better, but it's a book I personally really..."

Skimming over reviews looks like a lot of others agree with you about the cover lol

got it on the nomination list :)

message 10: by Teresa Faliq ☼ (new)

Teresa Faliq ☼ (teresa_trilogies) I’d like to nominate Pet Semetary by Stephen King :)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Teresa wrote: "I’d like to nominate Pet Semetary by Stephen King :)"

Since Valeria nominated it I will count that as your seconding it :)

Everyone is allowed both a second and a nomination so if you think of another paranormal book you want to add in as your nomination just let me know :)

message 12: by Teresa Faliq ☼ (new)

Teresa Faliq ☼ (teresa_trilogies) Ok, thanks! :)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Always love the variety we get in our nominations, already we have 2 creepy paranormal, an alternate history with a paranormal twist, and a paranormal romance. And still plenty of time for more to come in. The varied interests of this groups always makes me happy to see :)

message 14: by Kally (last edited Apr 11, 2018 01:46PM) (new)

Kally (kallywumpus) | 8 comments I'd like to nominate The Picture of Dorian Gray because I've not read it yet! There are so many references to it all over the place.
And I second Pet Sematary because it's apparently a friend's favorite and a tragedy I've never read it. ^_^

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Nominations updated in the first post to this point, remember the cut off is the afternoon of this Sunday so if anyone else has a nomination to get in be sure to not miss the cutoff!

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Nominations are closed poll will be up shortly :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.