I Read Comic Books discussion

Top 3 Favorite Comic Covers

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 575 comments Mod
What are your top 3 favorite comic covers?

Singles or trade/OGN covers both work. Images or links to them appreciated!

message 2: by Kate (new)

1. Hawkeye #9 cover by David Aja

2. Revival #1 cover by Jenny Frison (I have a signed print of this hanging on my wall from when I got to meet her at C2E2 a few years ago.)

3. Wonder Woman #8 variant cover by Frison as well.
cover

message 3: by Chris (last edited Mar 26, 2018 12:35PM) (new)

Chris Gordon

"Because no one demanded it!"

message 4: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 98 comments

(btw, Steranko designed the X-Men logo which debuted here)

(a great story, too. Wallace Wood.)

And number three:

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments This was tough so to make it easier, I picked my favorite 3 covers that i actually own the comic.

Detective Comics #880 - art by Jock

photo DC 880_zps5vmbpozb.jpg

Reborn #1 - art by Jock

photo Reborn 1_zps56z9cxjv.jpg

Wytches #1 - art by Bill Sienkiewicz

photo wytches 1_zps92gk7hmu.jpg

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert | 46 comments Daniel wrote: "Reborn #1 - art by Jock..."

I love that Reborn cover. I have several copies. I have a feeling it may be more appreciated over time. I wish the title had gotten more traction.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Daniel wrote: "This was tough so to make it easier, I picked my favorite 3 covers that i actually own the comic. ...Wytches #1 - art by Bi..."

I love that Wytches variant too! I had mine signed at a con and would love to get a comics frame to display it.

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments Kate wrote: "Daniel wrote: "This was tough so to make it easier, I picked my favorite 3 covers that i actually own the comic. ...Wytches #1 - art by Bi..."

I love that Wytches variant too! I had mine signed at..."

I didn't know about it until i went to a comics store for a comics signing (for a diff book) and I saw it on the wall, I love Scienkewicz work so that is always a plus

message 9: by Christopher (last edited Mar 27, 2018 08:21AM) (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 98 comments This has a slide show with 3 cover each for 71 different artists:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/article...

(If you're having trouble nailing it down. Neal Adams fer sure!)

eta: There's definitely something for everyone on that list, not all "old school" like me.

message 10: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (last edited Mar 27, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 633 comments Mod
Silver Surfer #1 variant by Francesco Francavilla

Gambit #1 by Clay Mann

Rai #16 by David Aja

message 11: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments Mike wrote: "Silver Surfer #1 variant by Francesco Francavilla

Gambit #1 by Clay Mann

Rai #16 by David Aja

"

That Silver Surfer is too good ...
Francavilla sometimes surprises me with his designs, he is a great follow during inktober

message 12: by Kate (new)

Mike wrote: "Silver Surfer #1 variant by Francesco Francavilla

Gambit #1 by Clay Mann

Rai #16 by David Aja

"

I really like the Silver Surfer and Rai covers. The Rai cover looks like David Mack, not Aja :)

message 13: by Kate (new)

Christopher wrote: "This has a slide show with 3 cover each for 71 different artists:

(If you're having trouble naili..."

Wow I love that Umbrella Academy cover! Who is the artist?

message 14: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 98 comments Kate wrote: "Wow I love that Umbrella Academy cover! Who is the artist?..."

From the accompanying text:

James Jean lies at the nexus where surrealism, the renaissance, beautiful women and animals intersect. Responsible for the first 81 covers of Fables, Jean’s art projects ageless portraits of men and women frozen in an augur of mythology and hallucinogenics. His sucker punch lighting veers from sepia yellows to freon blues and beyond, casting moods that captured the passing of time with a sense of innocence that feels hopelessly endangered. It’s that sense of serene perfection plunged into dream-like chaos that defines his greatest work, represented in the many maiden and beast motifs. At the very least, Jean is the only comic artist whose fashion-forward style led to gigs for high-end international handbag magnates like Prada.

Sean Edgar

message 15: by KaitLphere (new)

KaitLphere | 202 comments Mod
Christopher wrote: "This has a slide show with 3 cover each for 71 different artists:

(If you're having trouble naili..."

This was a great article/slideshow. Thanks for sharing!

message 16: by KaitLphere (last edited Mar 28, 2018 09:59AM) (new)

KaitLphere | 202 comments Mod
This is a really difficult topic for me. I love so many covers for so many different reasons. Here are some that I admire over and over again:

Sandman #1 by Dave McKean. I love how he created these covers, and see something else in them everytime I look.

Low #1 by Greg Tocchini. Every time I see this cover, I think this comic will be something I love. Unfortunately, the story didn't draw me in.

The Unwritten vol. 1 by Yuko Shimizu. I love the minimalism and use of white on this cover.