Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Sales and Good deals > Audible: 3 books for 2 credits deal

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
For my fellow audio book listeners, audible is doing a 3 for 2 sale that ends on 3/29/2018 at 11:59pm PT.

They have 3 books from our list on there as well:
Perdido Street Station by China Miéville
Anathem by Neal Stephenson
Children of God by Mary Doria Russell

message 2: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Bryan, I've been meaning to ask for a while now. Could you name a few narrators who are really good at doing audio books? I have listened to a bunch of them, so far my favorite by far was Fahrenheit 451 (narrated by Bradbury himself), but some of the videos that showed Zelazny reading his works left me wanting more.

I am planning to use audiobooks for those titles that I have already read, so I am starting to build a library of those. If you know some great titles or narrators worth checking out, let us know please!

message 3: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
Everyone has their preference with a narrator. I've been listen to audio books for about 5 or 6 years now and I've learned to tolerate a bad narrator if the story is good.

You opened a can of worms.

Here are a few of my favorites: Nick Podehl, James Marsters, Wil Wheaton, Michael Kramer, Kate Reading, Jonathan Davis, Kirby Heyborne, Kristen Potter, Stephen R. Thorne, Ray Porter, William Dufris, Luke Daniels, Robin Miles, Rachel Dulude, Kyle McCarley, Roy Dotrice...

I could easily double this list. But I'll stop for now.

You'll find that authors tend to keep the same narrators for their books. Especially if it is a series, like all of the Dresden Files is narrated by James Marsters (who was in the TV series Angel). John Scalzi is friends with Wil Wheaton (the poster boy for nerds) so Wil narrates pretty much all of Scalzi's books. Michael Kramer and Kate Reading tend to be in a lot of Brandon Sanderson books and they also narrate all of the Wheel of Time books.

Some authors make pretty good narrators. For one, they know exactly what they wanted the characters to sound like or how they wanted them to say things. But it's a hit or miss type of game.

The down side to listening to books, especially as many as I have, if you listen to a lot of books that has the same narrator in them, like Nick Podehl, but not the same series. Then you can get thrown a little by hearing the same voices used for different characters. Kind of like seeing an actor play a villain in one movie but the hero in another. The other down side is when an author has the same narrator read all of their books, like John Scalzi and Wil Wheaton. The problem with this is, you really start to feel like you've listened to the same story over and over again. Kind of like when watching Adam Sandler in most of his movies. Different stories, but pretty much same acting.

I've made this to long. Sorry about that. There isn't a lot of love for audio books in out group yet. I got excited to share!

message 4: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
I am planning to enjoy all of the award-winning rereads in audiobook format so all of this info is amazing. Actually I think I already have about 6-7 titles in audio, something to look forward to.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.