Play Book Tag discussion

Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life
This topic is about Barbarian Days
March 2018: Autobiography > LISTOPIA: Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life - William Finnegan (3 1/2 stars)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1312 comments Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life - William Finnegan

3 1/2 stars

Barbarian Days is the story of the authors surfing life, from his childhood in Hawaii to traveling the world in search of great waves. The descriptions of surfing are very good, but I did find myself zoning out reading a lot of it. I was more interested in other aspects of the author's life, but once those parts pulled me in it would end and return to descriptions of surfing that would lose me again. I will definitely be interested in reading some of the author's other books about other aspects of his life. It sounds like he has had a fascinating life, but I am more interested in his experiences as a reporter/writer across the world than that of surfing. I did learn a bit about the surfing life and I really liked learning about Hawaii in the 1950s.

THIS WAS FROM MY LISTOPIA LIST: President Obama's Reading List
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 2: by Anita (last edited Mar 31, 2018 07:39AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6299 comments This one has been on my list, off my list, on my list, off my list . . .

I love sports, but it sounds like perhaps just too much description of a non-competitive activity to be interesting. Kinda like reading about knitting. Fun to do, not so much fun to read about the doing.

Think this review is going to move it back off the list.

Cora (corareading) | 1312 comments Anita wrote: "This one has been on my list, off my list, on my list, off my list . . .

I love sports, but it sounds like perhaps just too much description of a non-competitive activity to be interesting. Kinda ..."

I am interested in reading his book about the year he taught in a colored school in South Africa during apartheid. He touched on it briefly in this book, but frustratingly did not go into detail about his time there. He has a whole different memoir about that time in his life and I think it would fit my interests better (especially after reading Born a Crime).