Year-long NaNo discussion

The Princess Ambassador (The Fairy Tale Chronicles, #2)
This topic is about The Princess Ambassador
Loretta Marchize > The Princess Ambassador- word count

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments I can't wait to get started on my rewriting! (not really!) *is actually really nervous and kinda been putting this off*

message 2: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Loretta wrote: "I can't wait to get started on my rewriting! (not really!) *is actually really nervous and kinda been putting this off*"

I definitely know the feeling *looks at manuscript that has been waiting to be written for some weeks* I'm only about nine pages in. Rewrites are hard! Well, best of luck! And hopefully your rewrites end up being easier than mine have been :P

message 3: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments Nicki wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I can't wait to get started on my rewriting! (not really!) *is actually really nervous and kinda been putting this off*"

I definitely know the feeling *looks at manuscript that has..."

Thank you! Good luck to you too!

message 4: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments Word count:
1,952- chapter 1
One chapter rewritten! I suppose I'm off to a good start, for day 1. We'll see. Anyway, here's an excerpt

Crash.
The large front door opened and Jay walked through.
“Decide to finally come?” Lily said. “For a while there I thought you planned on living in Kappaka.”
“Haha,” Jay said. “I was trying to convince Cilla to come for a visit. I thought you'd enjoy her company.” He dropped his luggage and hugged her.
Lily smiled and hugged him back. “You mean you would. Don’t you remember? You have to take me to the Draton Kingdom.”
Jay scratched his head. “What? Oh, yes I remember now.” He grinned sheepishly and called a footman over to take her trunk.
Lily rolled her eyes. “Really, Jay,” she said, and walked outside. “How on earth did you forget?”
Jay shrugged. “I wasn’t thinking about it. Come on, I’ll help you in.” he helped her up into the carriage then climbed in after checking that her luggage was secure. “It should be a fairly short drive, Draton is close, but first say goodbye.” he pointed out the window.
Lily looked outside. The whole family, her parents, and siblings had gathered outside to see her off. Even Ivory, who was going to have a child soon, had come out. “Goodbye!” she said.
“Goodbye!” they all echoed.
“Safe travels! Write to us!” her mother called.
“Let’s go!” Jay said to the coachman.

message 5: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments 2,685 words, most of chapter 2
The girls sat down at a table with several other young women, who were fascinated by one girl’s exciting story of seeing Prince Nathaniel walking in the garden with a young woman.
Lily laughed quietly to herself as the girl embellished the story, saying they had been holding hands. She couldn’t imagine herself ever touching Nathaniel, let alone holding his hand.
(little snippet)

message 6: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Great word count! Great job getting out of chapter one and into chapter two, I'm still stuck on midway through chapter one. Hopefully this coming spring break I will find it in me to plow through a large portion of this :P

I'm not reading the snippets because I don't want to be spoiled for the first book, but good job all the same!

message 7: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments Nicki wrote: "Great word count! Great job getting out of chapter one and into chapter two, I'm still stuck on midway through chapter one. Hopefully this coming spring break I will find it in me to plow through a..."

Thanks! Good luck on getting out of your chapter one- best of wishes.
I know what you mean about spoilers, I've tried so hard to avoid them, but there may be one or two...

message 8: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments Started chapter 3 yesterday but had to go to bed before I could post my word count, so here it is. 1850
Hopefully, I can get some work done tonight, but mom just started a show and I might get distracted... (:
Here's an expert from last night.
“Do we have to dress up for this one?” Lily asked, sitting in a chair a little more delicately then Sarah.
The girls looked at each other.
“No?” Mia said tentatively. “The Queen would have mentioned it.”
Sarah nodded in agreement. “She didn't say anything.”
A light thud sounded outside Mia’s window, and the girls froze, all heads swiveling in that direction.
“What was that?” Lily asked after a moment's pause. She jumped up from her chair and hurried to the window just as a rock smashed through and sent shards of glass spinning dangerously through the air. “Oh!” she said, as the rock contacted with her stomach and sent her doubling over.
“Lily!” Mia said. She hurried over to her friend’s side, stopping just short of the glass.
“I'm fine,” Lily gasped out, and picked up the rock. A creamy sheet of paper was tied around the missile.
Sarah ran to the window. “Someone is running away!” She said, watching as a dark figure sprinted out of sight. “What does the note say?” she asked, coming back to Lily.
Lily pulled the paper off the rock and unrolled it. Lily, beware getting too close to the prince. “It- it says-” She swallowed. “Lily, beware getting too close to the prince.” Someone is after me!
(Little longer, but TENSION BUILDING!!! YAY!)

message 9: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments Started chapter 3 yesterday but had to go to bed before I could post my word count, so here it is. 1850
Hopefully, I can get some work done tonight, but mom just started a show and I might get distracted... (:
Here's an expert from last night.
“Do we have to dress up for this one?” Lily asked, sitting in a chair a little more delicately then Sarah.
The girls looked at each other.
“No?” Mia said tentatively. “The Queen would have mentioned it.”
Sarah nodded in agreement. “She didn't say anything.”
A light thud sounded outside Mia’s window, and the girls froze, all heads swiveling in that direction.
“What was that?” Lily asked after a moment's pause. She jumped up from her chair and hurried to the window just as a rock smashed through and sent shards of glass spinning dangerously through the air. “Oh!” she said, as the rock contacted with her stomach and sent her doubling over.
“Lily!” Mia said. She hurried over to her friend’s side, stopping just short of the glass.
“I'm fine,” Lily gasped out, and picked up the rock. A creamy sheet of paper was tied around the missile.
Sarah ran to the window. “Someone is running away!” She said, watching as a dark figure sprinted out of sight. “What does the note say?” she asked, coming back to Lily.
Lily pulled the paper off the rock and unrolled it. Lily, beware getting too close to the prince. “It- it says-” She swallowed. “Lily, beware getting too close to the prince.” Someone is after me!
(Little longer, but TENSION BUILDING!!! YAY!)

message 10: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments Word count- 2,235 finished chapter 3 and chapter 4. I guess this made up for missing yesterday!
(also did some editing on the first book in the series, The Lost Princess, but just things like changing all the 'head of the guard'(s) to 'captain of the guard'(s)
Lily shook her head. “It’s all in the name of fashion, as is that,” she said, nodding to one of the young ladies they passed, who wore a simple day dress and a shawl. “She must be unbearably cold.”
“Ah, fashion. He gets everyone to do what he wants. He must be very important.” Nathaniel adopted a comical face.
Lily laughed. “Oh Nathaniel!” she said. “What would your parents say?”
“They would probably shake their heads in wonder at the young upstart youth of today’s age,” Nathaniel, who was feeling very amicable that day, said.

message 11: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments Word count: 3,491
WOW!! I got so much done!! More than double my usual count. I'm allllll the way to chapter 7 now!! (Hmm, which chapter will have the least spoilers?) I'm really getting into the action now. My TOTAL word count is 13,162. I'm surprised I got so much done because I had to go to my sib's piano lessons, trigs for Mom's meeting with Niki, and then my track practice, then dinner, THEN youth group. (I know. Wed. is the busiest day.) It probably helped that I didn't have internet at piano or trigs, so I wasn't checking my email or anything. Enough about me, onto the excerpt!
(names were taken out for spoiler reasons)
“H-” NAME's scream was muffled as NAME slipped a rough bag over her head. “Let me go!” she hissed.
“Not a chance.”
NAME attempted to lash out, but her tight corset lacing restrained her and her boots slipped on the marble floor.
“Put your coat on,” NAME gruffly said. “We are going outside.”
Not how things were supposed to go! NAME’s inner voice was screaming, but she ignored it and attempted to punch NAME.
“Stop it. You’re not hitting me, you can’t see anything- oof!” He let out a sharp grunt and grabbed her wrist. “If you keep that up I’m binding your wrists. Now put on your coat.”
oooh, a kidnapping!!! hmmm, I wonder who? (Like the game Clue. I love that game.)

message 12: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments Word count: 223 :') so pitifully sad. But today was a busy day (we had guests over) and I did do a lot of work, it's just that most of it was finicky stuff like re-reading the chapter with the kidnapping over and over to try and make it more realistic. (there are so many ways you can write a kidnapping wrong. who knew?)
So anyway, I can't do a snippet bc too many spoilers in the (223) words I wrote 'cause they come right after the last snippet.

message 13: by Loretta (last edited Apr 10, 2018 12:04PM) (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments Okay so I have been writing, it just completely slipped my mind to update on here??? So my total word count now is 15,713, with the original document being 27,705. So that makes me roughly halfway through editing!! It's going way faster than I thought, but I also still have to do a final edit, commas, things like that, after this edit.
Snippet: (note: it is SO HARD to find a snippet without spoilers right now)
Otto froze and glared at the road. He had heard them too.
Lily didn’t dare make a single sound, she knew the price of yelling. A bag over her head.
The hoofbeats stopped.
Otto thrust Lily back behind the fire and laid his hand on his sword.
At least if the person is unfriendly, Otto will protect me. Lily held her breath.
A strange man walked into the clearing. He had a fine black cloak that shrouded his face and clothes. His horse, which he had tied to a tree, was a fine breed. The man moved to go closer to the fire.
Otto jumped in front of him.
“May I warm my hands at your fire?” the man asked.
“Who are you and what do you want?” Otto growled back.
“I’m a traveler and I want to-”
Otto cut him off “Are you a thief?” he asked, eyeing the man’s fine cloak and horse.
“No!” Something in the strange man’s posture changed.

message 14: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Loretta wrote: "Okay so I have been writing, it just completely slipped my mind to update on here??? So my total word count now is 15,713, with the original document being 27,705. So that makes me roughly halfway ..."

Wow. That's fantastic that you're so close to being done with the rewrites *glances at ToTPLP* 4,036 out of 134,414? Um... I'm just going to go do that now XD

Interesting excerpt! I'm intrigued!

message 15: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments Nicki wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Okay so I have been writing, it just completely slipped my mind to update on here??? So my total word count now is 15,713, with the original document being 27,705. So that makes me ..."

Thank you! And good luck to you on your edits!

message 16: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Loretta wrote: "Nicki wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Okay so I have been writing, it just completely slipped my mind to update on here??? So my total word count now is 15,713, with the original document being 27,705. So ..."

No problem :) And thanks! I'm bound and determined to finish chapter one today.

message 17: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments Haha... again forgot to update! BUT- I've been super super busy all the same!
My total word count is now 26,167 (I cut it down from the original word count by about 1,000... wow!) AND (dun dun dun..) I'm finished with draft 2!
which means I still have draft 3, and possibly a draft 4
Yay.
I'll keep updating, but for now, a snippet!
(from chapter 10. There are thirteen chapters, but there's a wedding in one, (not saying who) a big reveal in a different one, and a major event in the last one, so... riddled with spoilers)
“Aunt Louise!” Nathaniel said. He jumped up from his stool and hugged his aunt.
“It is so good to see you again, Nathaniel,” the Queen said. She turned her warm gaze on Lily. “And you must be Lily! I hear that Nathaniel is quite enamored by you.”
Lily smiled back. “I wouldn’t use enamored, but yes, we’re very good friends. It is good to meet you, Queen Inia, I have heard so much about you. Thank you for saving us from Otto.”
“Oh, you don’t have to call me that!” the Queen said. “I don’t go by Queen Inia unless I am at a formal event. You may call me Aunt Louise, as Nathaniel does. You may very well be my niece soon anyways-” she winked at Nathaniel- “so why not call me Aunt?”
Lily’s jaw dropped. The Queen of Inia isn’t quite what I had expected her to be.
“Aunt!” Nathaniel complained. “What are you saying?”
Louise laughed and stole Nathaniel’s stool. “Now, young lady. I want to learn all about you. I hear that you are Princess Lily White.
“Er, yes,” she said. “I don’t know about soon to be niece, but yes. For the short time I was at Nathaniel’s castle I was mostly known as an ambassador,” Lily said. “The King --------------------------.”(spoiler)
“So,” Louise said. “Almost niece.”
Nathaniel shook his head. “She’s always like that,” he told Lily.

I just love Aunt Louise! (: she's there for less than a fifth of the book, but she's so funny!

message 18: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments Oh so I haven't updated this in a while.... but I'm actually done and publishing it now! It releases June 10th. There's a giveaway being hosted: http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/disp...
And I'll be doing a blog tour with Niki Chapelway, C.B. Cook, and Jes Drew. The announcements for that will be coming soon!

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments A blog tour?

message 20: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "A blog tour?"

Yup! A blog tour is where a bunch of different people all post on the same topic throught the week. (basically)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Cool! Where can I see/find this? Or is it not made for me to watch?

message 22: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Cool! Where can I see/find this? Or is it not made for me to watch?"

You'll have to ask Niki for more details, as I don't know everythign yet. But we are going to have sign-ups for the blog tour soon, and June 24-30 will be the actual tour. Once I know more I'll be posting an update.

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Well.... I will be in Canada then.... I don't think I will be able to be apart of it. *sighs sadly*

message 24: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Marchize (goodreadscomloretta_mz) | 59 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Well.... I will be in Canada then.... I don't..."
Oh that's too bad!

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments I know.... I'm excited, but I would rather not leave my friends behind, nor my stories.....