What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Talking Parcel
This topic is about The Talking Parcel
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's: bird arrives in mystery gift, takes children to magical land. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dom (new)

Dom Glennon | 2 comments Hi, I'm trying to identify a children's book I remember reading in the late 70s/early 80s: the main thing I remember is that a mystery gift arrives for a child/some children (probably a boy and a girl), it turns out to contain a speaking bird (parrot or similar). The bird then takes the children to a magical land. I think it was written by a famous children's author of the time (probably female), and I also think I recall seeing an animated film version of the book. Does anyone recognize this?

message 2: by Mmp (new)

Mmp (mxbee) | 2 comments Hi I think this is The Talking Parcel, also called The Magical Cockatrice by Gerald Durrell. I read it in the late 70s and I think they did make some sort of film about it. Hope helpful

message 3: by Dom (new)

Dom Glennon | 2 comments Yes, that's it! Thank you so much, I was starting to wonder whether I had just dreamt it all.

message 4: by Kris (last edited Apr 02, 2018 10:28AM) (new)

Kris | 34474 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Dom. Here's the link for Mmp's find - The Talking Parcel (or "The Battle of the Castle Cockatrice") by Gerald Durrell.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Talking Parcel (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gerald Durrell (other topics)