What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > historical fiction YA book about a girl kidnapped and ends up living with american indians as a fugitive

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kai (new)

Kai (kaikai07) | 2 comments a young teen girl gets kidnapped, and somehow ends up with a native warrior who happens upon her, saves her life and helps her find her father. i think the girl had a younger brother, although i can't recall if they were kidnapped together. either way, she ends up falling in love with the man protecting her, and he may have been injured badly somewhere along the way.

there may have been a dangerous canoe scene...and possibly they may have spent some time on an isolated island. her group eventually reaches the man's tribe and she spends some time with his family there. i remember a scene with the tribe where the person who ends up with the "special" (colored?) corn is able to elicit a wish from someone of his/her choosing and the warrior chooses a kiss from the girl. it the end, the girl is reunited with her father, and being 16ish years of age is suitable for marriage according to the native americans. thus, the guy completes the ritual to ask for her in marriage by presenting to her father the game and animals he has hunted to show he can provide for her. it is alluded to that she prefers to live among his people rather than return to her european way of life (may have been french-canadian or american????)

- i've done a lot of research on this and none of the most popular books with this theme/genre seem to be it. because i read this book in middle school the character names escape me and i only remember specific scenes. this book has been stuck in my head all week and i'm having no luck finding it. it was definitely published prior to 2007. if anyone could be of help and give me some ideas, it would be absolutely lovely!!

message 2: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Was it based on a true story or pure fiction, do you remember? Was it middle-school level or were you reading higher?

You don't happen to remember what area she was from, do you? Anything that would help us narrow down the tribe?

Maybe Spirited Spirited (Once Upon A Time Fairytales) by Nancy Holder

message 3: by Kai (new)

Kai (kaikai07) | 2 comments Kai wrote: "a young teen girl gets kidnapped, and somehow ends up with a native warrior who happens upon her, saves her life and helps her find her father. i think the girl had a younger brother, although i ca..."

hi sparks of ember! i do believe it was higher, perhaps high school level. it did include some notes at the back where the author may have mentioned it was based on the stories of her ancestors? it wasn't a romance novel but that theme was a central plot. i don't remember where the theme is at all.. it could have been in present-day quebec although that may just be because i'm canadian and remembered it incorrectly.. it wasn't the novel you mentioned though!

message 5: by Holly (new)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Boston Jane An Adventure (Boston Jane, #1) by Jennifer L. Holm maybe?

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Dacyczyn (readsintrees) | 264 comments Many of the elements you described are in the book Calico Captive by Elizabeth George Speare, except she also lives with the French. The corn scene is also in The Witch of Blackbird Pond by the same author.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37536 comments Mod
Kai, are you still looking for this or did you find it?