What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

What My Mother Doesn't Know (What My Mother Doesn't Know #1)
This topic is about What My Mother Doesn't Know
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Young adult and possible book club book. Spoiler alert. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria Del Carmen | 4 comments Spoiler alert! It's year 2008/2009 as I returned to the library shelf where I picked up "A Girl Named Zippy" by Haven Kimmel (with a Today's Book Club stamped on it), I decided to check out another random book. The book cover has a girl with a winter beanie, that might be green, being hugged by a boy. The story starts off as a journal. The girl protagonist walks with her friends outside of school, she mentions how one particular boy is so unattractive, that she just could not imagine liking one who is ugly let alone weird. One of her favorite pastimes to de-stress is ice skating at a nearby pond. She likes to sketch the elderly because of their fine lines and wrinkles. She chats with a boy online she ends up disliking after he mentions that he jerks off in a library. She wrote about how she met a mystery boy in a school dance and remembers how amazing she felt in his strong arms often. She ponders on who he could be and what he looked like. She couldn't see who he was though, because he had a mask on since the dance was masquerade themed. The ugly boy and her had to sketch each other in a class. They and discovered they liked similar things and ended up sketching older people together outside of school. She ended up starting an unlikely romantic relationship with him. On a school break, she went to visit her mischievous country cousins (maybe hillbillies) that had rifles. She grew fond of them, especially the older male one. When she returned, her family received news about how something had happened to him. She went to ice skate at the pond to deal with the matter while crying. Then she suddenly felt strong arms around her. Her unattractive crush was there for her giving her a very strong familiar hug. She realized her mystery dancer was him all along. In the end, when school starts again, she is trying to decide whether to sit with him or not in front of everyone at lunch time. Especially since he was considered obnoxiously ugly and teased about it. Mostly by her friends, including herself in the beginning. I think she surprises him by deciding to change things and sit with him without caring about others opinions.
Please help and thank you beforehand!

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones?
Reviews mention her having cybersoul Chaz and there's the part he reveals his favorite thing to do:
https://books.google.com/books?id=nwv...

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria Del Carmen | 4 comments Oh my goodness, Ayshe thank you so much! I think it just might be it! The boy's name seems to be Murphy. I forgot how much I liked prose.

message 4: by Kris (last edited Apr 11, 2018 06:23AM) (new)

Kris | 33505 comments Mod
Here is the Google Books preview of What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones - https://books.google.com/books?id=XZP... There are different cover images.

Maria, should we mark your request as Solved?

message 5: by Maria (new)

Maria Del Carmen | 4 comments Yes it is solved! I seem to have mixed it up with another YA fiction diary-like story I read from the same library shelf. At least just the journal and cousins part. I'll make a new post for that one.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

What My Mother Doesn't Know (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sonya Sones (other topics)