Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > updating covers / multiple editions of old books

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kcc138) | 4 comments Hi -
I'm a librarian who collects a lot of old books, and who has a scanner to produce good copies of the covers. I'm fine adding new old books, and I've read the manual, but before I change anything anywhere, I wanted to ask what the protocol is for a book such as I Married Adventure - https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio... -- it has multiple editions, and a couple [duplicated] cover images, three for the version I own.
I've already scanned & cropped a clear image of the woodgrain fabric cover.
What should I do? Choose one of the three editions of my edition? Add the scan to that edition, or don't bother? The other two images are photos which don't fill the frame. There is another "edition" with a clear scan, with black borders, but it's not as detailed as the other entries, which are for the same actual edition.
Thanks for any advice,
Kelly

message 2: by Hannah (last edited Mar 26, 2018 05:26AM) (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 196 comments Hey! I also collect a bunch of old books. When there are three identical records, they need to be merged into one. If anyone has shelved them you'll need a super librarian to do the merge. (Post individual links to each of the three book records in the delete book thread)...I'd wait until after the merge before adding a better cover image. That's also a good time to check the details of the listing and make sure it has page number, etc.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24761 comments You only need a super if there are more than 5 people adding it to shelves. With 5 or less you should be able to merge them yourself. Always make sure you have as much information as possible before merging the duplicates.

And a good idea, as Hannah said, to wait to add the better image till the merges are done. Don't forget to add details of the cover - photo of your own copy etc, in the change comment box.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kcc138) | 4 comments Hello,

Great, thanks for the information - so if I've scanned the cover, I also add a photo, I imagine to prove I own it?

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43570 comments Mod
No, to provide a copy of the cover image that we can use.