2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Quarterly Challenges > 2nd Quarter - The Bibliophile Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 199 (199 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Chalmation (last edited Apr 29, 2018 06:56AM) (new)

Chalmation | 2131 comments I'll do 4.

4/4
Complete

1. Read a book about books or reading.
The Storied Life of AJ Fikry Finished 4/27/18

3. Read a book that is an author's memoir.
Memories Before and After the Sound of Music Finished 4/29/18

6. Read a book before you see the movie/watch the tv show.
Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon #1) Finished 4/6/18

14. Read a book with a one-word title.
Omerta Finished 4/3/18

message 2: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments 15 for me

message 3: by Lindsay (last edited Jul 01, 2018 05:10PM) (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments I'm in for 5.

2. Read a book-in-a-book.
✅3. Read a book that is an author's memoir.
Where Memories Go
✅4. Read a book about language or linguistics.
Ella Minnow Pea
5. Read a book that takes place in a library or bookstore.
✅6. Read a book before you see the movie/watch the tv show.
Darkly Dreaming Dexter
7. Read a book whose main character is a bookworm.
✅8. Read a book that is mentioned in another book.
9. Read a book that is a retelling of a classic or modern classic.
10. Read a book that has a palindrome in the title.
✅11. Read a book that uses an alliteration in the title.
Ender in Exile
✅12. Read a book that has a full sentence as it's title.
Me Talk Pretty One Day
13. Read a book with a title that rhymes.
✅14. Read a book with a one-word title.
Typhoon
✅15. Read a book with an oxymoron in the title.
Big Little Lies
16. Read a book with a homonym or homophone in the title.
17. Read a book with a homograph in the title.
✅18. Read a book in translation or a book that merges two or more languages, e.g., Spanglish, Pidgin, or Creole.
Revolution 2020: Love, Corruption, Ambition
✅19. Read a work of epistolary fiction or nonfiction.
Love Simon: Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda
✅20. Read a book you can't get as an ebook
Banana: The Fate of the Fruit That Changed the World

message 4: by Ilona, Global Moderator (last edited Apr 15, 2018 03:53AM) (new)

Ilona | 4105 comments I am in for 3

3/3

A Bibliophile is a lover of books; one that loves to read, admire, and collect books. So if you are a bibliophile, see how many of the following tasks you can complete!

Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between
4. Read a book about language or linguistics.
Kafka on the Shore
Queen of Shadows
8. Read a book that is mentioned in another book.
11. Read a book that uses an alliteration in the title.
12. Read a book that has a full sentence as it's title.
Voyager
15. Read a book with an oxymoron in the title.
18. Read a book in translation or a book that merges two or more languages, e.g., Spanglish, Pidgin, or Creole.
19. Read a work of epistolary fiction or nonfiction.
20. Read a book you can't get as an ebook.

message 5: by Megan, Challenges (last edited Jun 02, 2018 03:05PM) (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6688 comments I'm in for 10!

1. Read a book about books or reading. - Given to the Sea by Mindy McGinnis - completed June 2018
4. Read a book about language or linguistics. - The Boy on the Bridge by M.R. Carey - completed May 2018
5. Read a book that takes place in a library or bookstore. - Tower of Dawn by Sarah J. Maas - completed April 2018
7. Read a book whose main character is a bookworm. - Fly Away by Kristin Hannah - completed April 2018
9. Read a book that is a retelling of a classic or modern classic. - Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides - completed May 2018
11. Read a book that uses an alliteration in the title. - The Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy Reichert - completed May 2018
14. Read a book with a one-word title. - Bullseye by James Patterson - completed April 2018
18. Read a book in translation or a book that merges two or more languages, e.g., Spanglish, Pidgin, or Creole. - The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo - completed April 2018

8/10

message 6: by Agnieszka (last edited Jun 06, 2018 05:07AM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 655 comments I'll start with 10 but hope to read more - first I have to look up pretty many words :-)
The Bibliophile Challenge
Duration: April 1, 2018 to June 30, 2018
Completed: 17/15+

A Bibliophile is a lover of books; one that loves to read, admire, and collect books. So if you are a bibliophile, see how many of the following tasks you can complete!

1. Read a book about books or reading. Per Anhalter durch die Galaxis=The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams 3* 4/18
2. Read a book-in-a-book. Per Anhalter durch die Galaxis=The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams 3* 4/18
3. Read a book that is an author's memoir. Lolita lesen in Teheran=Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi 2* 4/10 - it's a memoir of a professor and author of several book (or #1)
4. Read a book about language or linguistics. Unter Fremden by Jutta Profijt 6* 4/9 lit. translation: Among Stragners - the MC's a female refugee from Syria stranded alone in Germany - due to her personal history she learned secretly German as child and is used as translator for most of the Arabic speaking people in her surrounding. She's struggling to undertand the new culture and language (despite rather well knowledge of German) and is comparing both cultures and languages at every point - while investigating the disapearance of the man who saved her life during their escape (moving, very informative and interesting - a great book I learned here way more about the culture and their implications than I was able to grasp form Reading Lolita in Tehran - I listened to shortly after, unfortunatelly not available in English (yet))
5. Read a book that takes place in a library or bookstore. Explicit by Roxy Sloane 6* 5/15 it's set in the publishing world (publishing house, author's home and an award event)
7. Read a book whose main character is a bookworm. Błękitny Zamek=The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery 5* 4/22
9. Read a book that is a retelling of a classic or modern classic. A Night With Mr. Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Erotic Tale 1* 5/18
10. Read a book that has a palindrome in the title. (view spoiler) 101 Fantastic Gift Basket Ideas by Holiday Fun 0* 6/6 - according to the web page behind the spoiler numbers like 101 are regarded as palindomes as well :-)
11. Read a book that uses an alliteration in the title. Secret Santa by Kathleen Brooks 5* 4/5
12. Read a book that has a full sentence as it's title. Why Does God Allow Suffering? by Greg Laurie 3* 5/31
14. Read a book with a one-word title. Erbarmen=The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen 3* 5/6
15. Read a book with an oxymoron in the title. Alles ist gut.: Sechzehn sehr kurze Geschichten, in denen gar nichts gut ist by Diego Bernardini 6* 4/20/18 (32) - lit. transl: All's well: Sixteen very short stories where nothing is well
16. Read a book with a homonym or homophone in the title. (view spoiler) Too Hard to Handle by Julie Ann Walker 4* 5/3 too/two
17. Read a book with a homograph in the title. (view spoiler) Der Joker=I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak 6* 4/28 - In German 'Joker' is apart from a playing card a person who has no idea what s/he's doing.
18. Read a book in translation or a book that merges two or more languages, e.g., Spanglish, Pidgin, or Creole. Die Begnadigung=The Broker by John Grisham 4* 4/9 - German tranlslation of the English original
19. Read a work of epistolary fiction or nonfiction. Stim by Kevin Berry 5* 5/13 - diaries are also part of this genre and this book is based on the male MC's diary entries
20. Read a book you can't get as an ebook. Weihnachten mit Nora Roberts by Nora Roberts 3* 5/23/18 (192) lit. translation: Christmas with Nora Roberts - all four single books are available as ebooks, but this particular collection was only published on paper :-)

6. Read a book before you see the movie/watch the tv show. - more than unlikely - the last time I was in the mood to watch DVDs or TV was more than five years ago - so I'm not going to force it
8. Read a book that is mentioned in another book. - since I've seen this task for the very first time two or three years ago I found only a few classics mentioned in other books (or those I'm not interested at all) and during the duration of this challenge I just couldn't force myself to read any of them :-(
13. Read a book with a title that rhymes. => God, Me and Sweet Tea (Me & Tea); Coffee, Tea & Me - the only task I expected to completed but other more interesting books got in the way *grins*

message 7: by Charlotte (last edited May 25, 2018 09:04AM) (new)

Charlotte | 21 comments I'm in! I'm going to try to do all 20. I already have a couple of books in my 'to read' list that I was about to start, that will fit perfectly for this challenge.

Completed: 11/20

✅1. Read a book about books or reading: The Book Lovers' Miscellany by Claire Cock-Starkey
✅3. Read a book that is an author's memoir. Heart Berries: A Memoir by Terese Marie Mailhot
✅6. Read a book before you see the movie/watch the tv show. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
✅7. Read a book whose main character is a bookworm: Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks: A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books in Her Life by Annie Spence
✅8. Read a book that is mentioned in another book: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
✅9. Read a book that is a retelling of a classic or modern classic: Cinder by Marissa Meyer
✅11. Read a book that uses an alliteration in the title. The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry
✅14. Read a book with a one-word title. Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
✅ 16. Read a book with a homonym or homophone in the title. BRIEF: Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari
18. Read a book in translation or a book that merges two or more languages, e.g., Spanglish, Pidgin, or Creole.
✅19. Read a work of epistolary fiction or nonfiction. The Martian by Andy Weir
✅20. Read a book you can't get as an ebook. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Mar 26, 2018 08:22AM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Since my due date is in June, I'm taking the cautious approach. I might be able to raise it to three (one per month), but for now, I'll join for the loneliest number of 1, please :)

message 9: by Mie (last edited May 16, 2018 10:06AM) (new)

Mie | 1947 comments I would like to go for 7, please

COMPLETE ✔️

✅ 6. Read a book before you see the movie/watch the tv show - Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - 2,5⭐️
✅ 8. Read a book that is mentioned in another book - The Mysterious Affair at Styles - 3⭐️
✅ 9. Read a book that is a retelling of a classic or modern classic - American Gods - 3⭐️
✅ 11. Read a book that uses an alliteration in the title - Parker Pyne Investigates - 4⭐️
✅ 12. Read a book that has a full sentence as it's title - Murder Is Easy - 4⭐️
✅ 14. Read a book with a one-word title - Insurgent - 3,5⭐️
✅ 20. Read a book you can't get as an ebook - The Last Jew - 4,5⭐️

message 10: by Rachelnyc (last edited Apr 16, 2018 08:47AM) (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments I'll go for 5.

5/5 completed!

√ 2. Read a book-in-a-book. Slaughterhouse-Five
√ 3. Read a book that is an author's memoir. A Year in Provence
√6. Read a book before you see the movie/watch the tv show. Ready Player One
√ 7. Read a book whose main character is a bookworm. The Broken Girls
√ 8. Read a book that is mentioned in another book. The Bell Jar
Clan of the Cave Bear
The Roadside Picnic

message 11: by Kimberly (last edited Jun 22, 2018 12:05PM) (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments I'll go for 9!

4. Read a book about language or linguistics. Snowflower and the Secret Fan June 10, 2018
6. Read a book before you see the movie/watch the tv show. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
9. Read a book that is a retelling of a classic or modern classic. Wide Sargasso Sea
11. Read a book that uses an alliteration in the title. The Shell Seekers June 2, 2018
14. Read a book with a one-word title. Persuasion April 21, 2018
15. Read a book with an oxymoron in the title. Beautiful Ruins April 5, 2018
16. Read a book with a homonym or homophone in the title. Vanity Fair June 10, 2018
17. Read a book with a homograph in the title. Cold Comfort Farm or Ender's Game
19. Read a work of epistolary fiction or nonfiction. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

message 12: by Rachael (last edited Apr 29, 2018 10:01AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3214 comments I'm in for five books please.

COMPLETED: 5/5

✅ A book set in a library: The Invisible Library read 2 April, ***** with review previously written
✅ A book with a one-word title: Vicious read 28 April, ***** with review
✅ A homograph in the title: Windhaven read 19 April, *** with review
✅ A full sentence as the title: The Women Who Made Me a Feminist read 29 April, ****
✅ A work of non-fiction: Harry Potter: A History of Magic read 29 April, ****

message 13: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3094 comments I'm in! Let's say 10 for now, but going to strive to get all 20.

message 14: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6688 comments I changed my challenge to 10. Thanks!

message 15: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 344 comments I will aim for 15 categories.

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 28, 2018 05:42AM) (new)

I'm in!

✔️ 1. Read a book about books or reading: Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen 04.06.2018 ★★★☆☆
✔️ 2. Read a book-in-a-book: Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse 28.06.2018 ★★★★★
✔️ 3. Read a book that is an author's memoir: Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer 04.05.2018 ★★★★★
4. Read a book about language or linguistics:
✔️ 5. Read a book that takes place in a library or bookstore: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan 10.06.2018 ★★☆☆☆
✔️ 6. Read a book before you see the movie/watch the tv show: The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath 09.05.2018 ★★★★☆
✔️ 7. Read a book whose main character is a bookworm: The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield 18.05.2018 ★★★★★
✔️ 8. Read a book that is mentioned in another book: A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens 29.04.2018 ★★★☆☆
✔️ 9. Read a book that is a retelling of a classic or modern classic: Longbourn by Jo Baker 20.05.2018 ★☆☆☆☆
✔️ 10. Read a book that has a palindrome in the title: On the Eve by Ivan Turgenev 22.04.2018 ★★★★★
✔️ 11. Read a book that uses an alliteration in the title: Love's Labor's Lost by William Shakespeare 30.04.2018 ★★★☆☆
✔️ 12. Read a book that has a full sentence as it's title: Жизнь коротка by Sergei Dovlatov 29.04.2018 ★★★★☆
13. Read a book with a title that rhymes:
✔️ 14. Read a book with a one-word title: We by Yevgeny Zamyatin 29.04.2018 ★★★★☆
✔️ 15. Read a book with an oxymoron in the title: The Living Dead: Switched Off, Zoned Out - The Shocking Truth about Office Life by David Bolchover 17.04.2018 ★★★★☆
✔️ 16. Read a book with a homonym or homophone in the title: Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray 10.04.2018 ★★☆☆☆
✔️ 17. Read a book with a homograph in the title: The Trial by Franz Kafka 21.06.2018 ★★★★☆
✔️ 18. Read a book in translation or a book that merges two or more languages, e.g., Spanglish, Pidgin, or Creole: The Iliad by Homer 07.04.2018 ★★☆☆☆
✔️ 19. Read a work of epistolary fiction or nonfiction: Frankenstein; Or, the Modern Prometheus by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley 19.06.2018 ★★★☆☆
✔️ 20. Read a book you can't get as an ebook: La casa sull'altura by Nino De Vita 07.04.2018 ★★★★☆

18/20

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Kristin wrote: "Welcome, everyone! Updated up to here. Lisa, what an exciting time! Have you been reading any of your books aloud so your little one gets to know your voice (and hopefully, your love of stories/boo..."

Yes it is :) and yes I have, Kristin :D I do do that already once in a while, specially whenever I'm having trouble staying focused on what I'm reading but atleast now it doesn't seem so weird.. lol :)

message 18: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1104 comments This is a really interesting challenge! I'll sign up for 6, at least for now.

message 19: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 655 comments Lisa wrote: "Kristin wrote: "Welcome, everyone! Updated up to here. Lisa, what an exciting time! Have you been reading any of your books aloud so your little one gets to know your voice (and hopefully, your lov..."

Cool and congratulations!

message 20: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 655 comments Kristin, would any of these titles not work for 15. Read a book with an oxymoron in the title.
1. The Awful Grace of God
2. The Dark Light of Day
3. & 4. Midnight Sun / Summer of the Midnight Sun
5. West of the Sunset
6. A Beautiful Mess
7. Beautifully Broken
8. Beauty from Pain
9. Dark Paradise
10. Wicked Beautiful

message 21: by Michelle (last edited Apr 06, 2018 08:49PM) (new)

Michelle Ventura | 122 comments Count me in for at least 8...
1. Read a book about books or reading. The Bookshop on the Corner

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Agnieszka wrote: Cool and congratulations!"

Thank you :)

message 23: by Dania (last edited Apr 08, 2018 05:40AM) (new)

Dania (frenchiestfry) | 70 comments I'm in for 2! Don't know which one yet

1/2

15. Read a book with an oxymoron in the title. Big Little Lies

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 161 comments I will aim for 5.

message 25: by Ula (last edited Apr 24, 2018 06:47PM) (new)

Ula | 118 comments 1/3

19. Read a work of epistolary fiction or nonfiction: Where'd You Go, Bernadette

message 26: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 23, 2018 07:07AM) (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) | 316 comments I will aim for 6.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Westing Game

We Have Always Lived in the Castle

Preservation

18. Read a book in translation or a book that merges two or more languages, e.g., Spanglish, Pidgin, or Creole.It's About Time: A Mysterious Time Travel Conspiracy

The Year of Magical Thinking

message 27: by Chelsea (last edited Jun 22, 2018 02:27PM) (new)

Chelsea Morris | 226 comments I'll aim for 5!
5/5

2. Read a book-in-a-book: Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows
4. Read a book about language or linguistics: The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts
6. Read a book before you see the movie/watch the tv show: Crazy Rich Asians
14. Read a book with a one-word title: Moloka'i
18. Read a book in translation or a book that merges two or more languages: One of Us: The Story of Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway

COMPLETE!

message 28: by Ashy Khaira (new)

Ashy Khaira (asreenkhaira) | 38 comments count me in ,hoping to be able to do all,but will aim for 10 for now

message 29: by Jordynn (new)

Jordynn Fraser | 190 comments I will aim for 10. I haven't decided which.

0/10

message 30: by Samantha (last edited May 26, 2018 05:04PM) (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 291 comments I'm going to try this one, but I'm not going to really set a goal. I'm just curious how many I'll read. I guess for the sake of seeing if I get anywhere, I'll set it at 5 books

7. Read a book whose main character is a bookworm. Wicked in His Arms
11. Read a book that uses an alliteration in the title. Bird Box
12. Read a book that has a full sentence as it's title. My Favorite Thing Is Monsters, Vol. 1
14. Read a book with a one-word title. Obsidio
19. Read a work of epistolary fiction or nonfiction. Mary's Monster: Love, Madness, and How Mary Shelley Created Frankenstein
20. Read a book you can't get as an ebook. Children of Blood and Bone

message 31: by Chelsea (last edited Apr 29, 2018 03:00PM) (new)

Chelsea Morris | 226 comments Update: Message 33
3/5

2. A book-in-a-book: Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows
4. Read a book about language or linguistics: The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts
18. Read a book in translation or a book that merges two or more languages: One of Us: The Story of Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway (Translated from Norwegian)

message 32: by Diane (new)

Diane (diane_g) | 518 comments Count me in for three!

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Best I’ll try for 10

message 34: by Nikki (last edited May 08, 2018 09:04AM) (new)

Nikki (nikki_framke) | 276 comments Sign me up for 10 please!

✅1. Read a book about books or reading.
Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library
✅ 5. Read a book that takes place in a library or bookstore.
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
✅7. Read a book whose main character is a bookworm.
The Thirteenth Tale
✅9. Read a book that is a retelling of a classic or modern classic.
The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic
✅11. Read a book that uses an alliteration in the title.
Siege and Storm
✅14. Read a book with a one-word title.
Nothing

6/10

message 35: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6688 comments Just completed #7 (bookworm) - Fly Away by Kristin Hannah. Not as good as the first book, but it was still well-done! A continuation of the first in a signature Hannah style. Nice character development. My only criticism is that, while I appreciate that her characters don't always have good things happen to them, this seemed a bit extreme. Definitely worth reading! 4.5 stars

1/10

message 36: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne (radiantrox) | 115 comments I'll shoot for 5

message 37: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3214 comments Updated message 17: 1/5

message 38: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6688 comments Just completed #14 (one-word title) - Bullseye by James Patterson. Not my favorite book in this series. The improbable events all seemingly happening to involve a single detective is stretching the bounds of credulity at this point. And to keep stringing along the nanny after all she's been through and being oblivious to the troubles of his own kids is just annoying now. I'm really hoping the next book returns to the original snap of the series, or I might be through. Kinda worth reading. 3 stars

2/10

message 39: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4105 comments Updated message 7

Kafka on the Shore
Queen of Shadows

2/3

message 40: by David (last edited May 04, 2018 05:13AM) (new)

David (bladecutter) | 14 comments I'll go for all twenty.

Goal: 2/20

1. Read a book about books or reading. How to Read a Book
4. Read a book about language or linguistics. Steering the Craft: A Twenty-First-Century Guide to Sailing the Sea of Story

message 41: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Updated msg 14 1/5

message 42: by Jhuma (last edited Apr 29, 2018 10:27PM) (new)

Jhuma Khan (jhumaaaa) I'll go for 10

7. Read a book whose main character is a bookworm. Queen of Shadows
14. Read a book with a one-word title
18. Read a book in translation or a book that merges two or more languages.

message 43: by Chalmation (new)

Chalmation | 2131 comments Updated message #4

1/4

message 44: by Gail (new)

Gail (abbygg) | 413 comments Please put me in for 10.

message 45: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Rossi | 13 comments Can you read a book that fills two or more requirements? Or is the point to read 20 books?

message 46: by Hanya (last edited Jun 05, 2018 03:29AM) (new)

Hanya Khan (hanya_khan) | 89 comments I want in for 4 books

✔ 6. Read a book before you see the movie/watch the tv show. A Monster Calls
11. Read a book that uses an alliteration in the title. Paper Princess
✔ 12. Read a book that has a full sentence as it's title.The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
✔ 14. Read a book with a one-word title Wonder

message 47: by Trish (new)

Trish Lysk | 1 comments Im in for 10. Will pick the 10 later when i get home from work 😊

message 48: by Paula (last edited Jul 01, 2018 04:19AM) (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 141 comments I'm in for this one! FAILED!

Running total: 8/20

* In Search of Lost Book by Giorgio van Straten (01/05/18)

* The Brontë Family by Karen Kenyon (30/06/18)

* A Private Language? a Dip Into Welsh Literature by Marion Eames (22/06/18)

* Swan Song by Kelleigh Greenberg-Jephcott (29/04/18)

* Why Do Birds Suddenly Disappear? by Lev Parikian (04/05/18)

* Ayiti by Roxane Gay (09/04/18)

* Meet Me at the Museum by Anne Youngson (18/04/18)

* The Literature of Wales by D.R. Johnston (01/06/18)

message 49: by Eva (last edited Jul 29, 2018 07:14AM) (new)

Eva Müller (black-cat-aoife) I'll try for 6

1. Read a book about books or reading. Son of Gun in Cheek: An Affectionate Guide to More of the "Worst" in Mystery Fiction
2. Read a book whose main character is a bookworm. - Murder Takes the High Road
3. Read a book that uses an alliteration in the title. The Mystic Marriage
4. Read a book that has a full sentence as it's title. I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer

Updated July 29th

message 50: by Tania (last edited Jun 20, 2018 07:21AM) (new)

Tania | 949 comments My goal is 10 - COMPLETE with 15

Progress: 15/10

✓1. Read a book about books or reading. - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (finished 6/20), my review is here
✓2. Read a book-in-a-book. - The Breakup Bible by Melissa Kantor (finished 5/8), the main character is reading and following a self-help book within the novel (chapters of the book are included within the text), my review is here
✓3. Read a book that is an author's memoir. - Kitchen Privileges: A Memoir by Mary Higgins Clark (finished 5/12), my review is here
✓5. Read a book that takes place in a library or bookstore. - Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (finished 6/14), my review is here
✓6. Read a book before you see the movie/watch the tv show. - A Million Ways to Die in the West by Seth MacFarlane (finished 4/25), I've never seen the movie but after reading the book I really don't want to (still counting it because it was a real chore to finish and the challenge doesn't actually say "then watch the movie"), my review is here
✓7. Read a book whose main character is a bookworm. - Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay (finished 5/11), my review is here
✓9. Read a book that is a retelling of a classic or modern classic. - The Princess Companion: A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea by Melanie Cellier (finished 4/11), my review is here
✓11. Read a book that uses an alliteration in the title. - Secret Sister by Emelle Gamble (finished 4/24), my review is here
✓14. Read a book with a one-word title. - Meritropolis by Joel Ohman (finished 5/16), my review is here
✓15. Read a book with an oxymoron in the title. - Shattered Haven by Carol J Post (finished 5/20), my review is here
✓16. Read a book with a homonym or homophone in the title. - The Almost Wives Club by Nancy Warren (finished 4/11), homophone is club, my review is here
✓17. Read a book with a homograph in the title. - Digging In by Loretta Nyhan (finished 4/8), homograph is in (vs inn), my review is here
✓18. Read a book in translation or a book that merges two or more languages, e.g., Spanglish, Pidgin, or Creole. - Battle Angel Alita, Volume 01 (Gunnm #1) by Yukito Kishiro (finished 4/24), originally published in Japanese, artwork still contains original language, my review is here
✓19. Read a work of epistolary fiction or nonfiction. - Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary (finished 5/11), my review is here
✓20. Read a book you can't get as an ebook. - The Range Guardian by Gene Tuttle (finished 4/15), my review is here

« previous 1 3 4