Litwit Lounge discussion

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reggia (last edited Aug 13, 2009 11:59AM) (new)

Reggia | 2262 comments Oops! don't know what happened as I thought I had started an August thread.

I'm preparing for a move, only I don't know where I'm going, lol, could be 3 miles, could be 1,000. It is hard to plan for... In the meantime, my youngest has started school, I am looking for employment, and still attending the library book discussion groups.

Very strange but the city has decided to cancel all 6 of our local library's monthly book discussions. They did have to cut some staff but that same staff feels they still have time to devote to the groups, and even offered to do so off-the-clock. I can't figure this one out. Some of the groups are quite large although one of the two I attend is rather small.

Anyone else attend local book discussions whether at the library or elsewhere?

Tell us how you are...

I'd like to welcome new member, Dan, to our group. Please join in or start new discussions anytime, it's good to have you with us.

Also, Werner has agreed to help lead the board as a co-moderator. I'm very thankful for that, and sure that everyone agrees. Incidentally, he was also our first member and has brought several more to us.

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1752 comments Nice to hear from you, Reggia. Good luck with your move and job search!
I had a visit from a college friend last weekend, which was nice. Otherwise, life marches on...
I'm sure Werner will do a great job as co-moderator. I didn't know he was the first member after yourself.
Welcome, Dan--please tell us a little more about yourself!

message 3: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2140 comments Thanks for the kind words, Reggia and Callista! As I told Reggia, I've got a lot of irons in the fire, but I'll be glad to help out a bit when and where I can. :-) (I've only recently gotten back from a 9-day vacation, so I'm still digging out from under everything that accumulated while I was away.)

message 4: by Reggia (last edited Aug 18, 2009 11:21PM) (new)

Reggia | 2262 comments Welcome back, Werner. :)

Okay, this month I'm going to try to finish a couple of my current reads as some have been there for months. If I'm not successful, I will have to edit them over to my Abandoned List. Marie Antoinette: The Journey is one of them; I was really enjoying the book until I reached the last quarter. LOL, I've never had that happen before. More often, I've suffered through the first quarter of a book and had it improve after that point. I also want to get back to a A Tale of Two Cities; I just got distracted with that one.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1752 comments It feels worse when the book lets you down after being pretty good.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello! I have to tell you, I am loving all the welcomes I have gotten since I joined this group! So, you want to know a little about me? Well i'm Dan, 26 years old, living in Manchester, UK but originally from Yorkshire. I play the piano and the cello, and books wise, I love anything from general fiction to classics. As long as a book keeps me turning the pages, thats what it's all about isn't it? I was introduced to this site by my friend Alice, and so far, it's pretty good! The community aspect of it is excellent!

message 7: by Nicole (last edited Aug 21, 2009 07:46AM) (new)

Nicole | 1752 comments Thanks for sharing. There are some tidbits about some of us in the "Getting to know you" and "Welcome" topics in this forum. (Apologies to Reggia and Werner if I'm overreaching by mentioning that.) Glad you're enjoying it here! :)

message 8: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 97 comments Yeah, I've got to say that when books start to let me down and I had a really good run with the book ,well I guess I cheat and read the last page . Dan that's neat to be talented ,I do wish I could've been musical inclined .On the upside, however, I do paint.

message 9: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2140 comments Callista, no apology needed; you're never overreaching when you share some helpful information. :-) And a warm welcome to Dan, and to anyone else who's joined us recently!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Vicky, I can't believe you read the last page???? I could never do that and potentially ruin the story!

message 11: by Vicky (last edited Aug 22, 2009 09:26AM) (new)

Vicky | 97 comments Point taken ,but I haven't had to in anything recently because my choice in books are on a streak .I enjoy what I've been reading . Dan what are you currently reading?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Twilight! Cheesy I know! My next book is apparently a corker 'As Meat Loves Salt' by Maria McCann.

message 13: by Werner (new)

Werner | 2140 comments Dan, don't feel guilty about reading Twilight --I read it this summer, and loved it. :-)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I feel better now!

message 15: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 97 comments I haven't been to any book discussions at my local libary and I'm surpised because they haven't offered any such thing and they're a good up and running one .But I did sign up for computer courses and even know I took some this winter ,I did want the advanced courses . Plus , I took my nursing exam last week (lots of luck).Oh, and my niece won't part with her copy of twilight right now ,even know she read it months ago.So , it sounds very good and not cheesy.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

To tell you the truth, it's VERY cheesy and quite poorly written, but hey, its a good read if you want a rest between heavier texts!

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1752 comments I agree that it's cheesy--I think the first book was the best of the set, except for the Jacob stuff. But, like you said, it's something light for entertainment (and the occasional mocking).
I used to be a purist about never cheating and looking at the end of the book, but I've found myself doing it a few times in the last few years...like when I get a strong feeling that a character I really like is going to die. Sometimes, it's better than being blindsided, when I'm not in the mood to be blindsided.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4 comments Reggia,what's your take on A Tale of Two Cities? Are you enjoying it or just persevering? I want to start another classic, but I plan on reading something a bit more light-hearted and potentially comedic before that. Any suggestions - other than Twilight? (Can't quite bring myself to indulge in that phenomenon. Much to my sister's chagrin I have not ready Harry Potter either.)

message 19: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2262 comments I didn't know about these replies... for some reason, I'm not getting Goodreads notifications anymore, will have to check on my account.

Anyway, so glad you mentioned the other threads, Callista. :)

I had to laugh at the last-page peaking. I have almost never done that but recently when realizing I wasn't going to finish my book in time for the library discussion, I just went ahead and skipped to the end. Besides not being too enthused with the book, I knew that the participants would curtail their discussion if they thought I hadn't finished it, so that was my way of ensuring they could discuss it fully.

A Tale of Two Cities is still sitting halfway done on my shelf. I have to admit I don't remember what I thought of it when I left off... I'm not doing at all good with trying to finish Marie Antoinette, just can't seem to get interested again. :(

For the last two years, Alexander McCall Smith's books have been my favorites for light-hearted reads. He is a very prolific author and has several different series: The #1 Ladies' Detective Agency and 44 Scotland Street are probably the most popular.

message 20: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1752 comments Terry Pratchett is good for a light, funny, fast read.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4 comments I have read one of McCall Smith's books. It was enjoyable. I may try Hiassen or Pratchett. Thanks for the suggestions!

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1752 comments Everyone seems to be talking about McCall Smith. I guess I should check him out.