Dystopia Land discussion

General and Chat > what's your favorite dystopian book?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mackenzie :) (new)

Mackenzie :) (mac22001x1f451) | 3 comments mines the maze runner 🏃What's yours?

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris (trexford) | 3 comments Stand alone, cause the rest of the series isn't as good, "Dies the Fire" by Stirling is GREAT. Don't get me wrong, the rest of the series isn't bad, it's just a let down from the first one, IMO.

message 3: by Vir (new)

Vir I loved The Year of the Flood. I know it’s the second of a three book series, but it was my favourite one of the set. Plus i read it first not knowing it was part of a series and loved it.
So far it’s my favourite ‘so close to reality, it might come true’ read.

message 4: by L.C. (new)

L.C. Perry | 7 comments Angelfall by Susan Ee :D

message 5: by Amina (new)

Amina aaa | 2 comments 1984 by George Orwell

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 8 comments Vir wrote: "I loved The Year of the Flood. I know it’s the second of a three book series, but it was my favourite one of the set. Plus i read it first not knowing it was part of a series and loved it.
So far ..."

I loved the third one - Madaddam - because of its ending (won't spoil anything here). And, yes, I reckon Atwood creates a world you can completely see coming into reality one day.

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken Probably Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling (although the series began to drag later on). If not that one, probably One Second After.

message 8: by DDee (new)

DDee | 4 comments troll mode on : all Modern History books focused on the exploitation of people (industrial revolution, slavery, colonial imperialism, wars, ...) and the crackdown of grassroot movements troll mode off

Ken wrote: "... If not that one, probably One Second After."
+1, for its chilling practical/technical realism.

Dramawise, maybe The Road by C. Mac Carthy.

message 9: by CaRo (new)

CaRo | 1 comments The Passage by Justin Cronin even if I still have not read the final book of the trilogy. Oh and Panem today, Panem tomorrow Panem forever 😍

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Bartlett (RobertBartlettAuthor) | 2 comments I have several; One Second After for sure, the Walking Dead series, and of course A Time of Darkness:Book One - Scatter the Ashes haha

message 11: by Ikechukwu (new)

Ikechukwu Joseph (ikechukwujoseph) | 21 comments Stolen Conscience (Political Scavengers Series Book 1) http://amzn.to/2H7TeSL

message 12: by R.S. (new)

R.S. Merritt | 50 comments I'm with Ken. I like Dies the Fire by Stirling although it kind of started losing me when their grandchildren started selling to Japan....

message 13: by Nina (new)

Nina (bossgirlnina) | 2 comments That’s soooo difficult !!! It either has to be The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare or Delirium by Lauren Oliver

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Vdplaats (svdplaats) Cat's Cradle, next best is Death of Grass

message 15: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 2 comments Cat's Cradle is one of my all time favorites!!! I will look for Death of Grass as I have never read that - so great to get good suggestions. Although my TBR list, like most people's, is already halfway to the moon! Cheers! Val

message 16: by R.S. (new)

R.S. Merritt | 50 comments Is "The Stand" Dystopian enough to be considered Dystopian? I'm leaning towards yes and I call that one. I'll need to check out Cats Cradle.

message 17: by Sandra "Jeanz" (new)

Sandra "Jeanz" | 19 comments My favourite Dystopian series right now is the After The Thaw Series by Tamar Sloan & Heidi Catherine. I have read the prequel and first two books and loved them. The world building is amazing and the books have great characters paired with a brilliant plot too!

message 18: by Danny (new)

Danny | 1 comments I’m another The Stand devotee, but if we are talking something slightly more recent, the Wool series by Hugh Howey.

message 19: by ella ❦ (new)

ella  ❦ For a long time mine was the hunger games series but I just read the fire and flood series and I can’t decide between the two!!

~TARDIS_Erin~{She~They} The Hunger Games and Divergent

message 21: by Fallon (new)

Fallon | 1 comments The Game is Life

message 22: by Sandra "Jeanz" (new)

Sandra "Jeanz" | 19 comments I love lots of dystopian books and The Farmis amongst my favourites and it was released in paperback yesterday! Definitely recommend this book!!

message 23: by Michele (new)

Michele | 399 comments Mod
My favorite is The Handmaid's Tale although it makes me queasy to read it these days :P

message 24: by Diane (new)

Diane (meramom) | 2 comments Battle Royale is probably my top. Intense and graphically violent, but the original book by Kooushan Takami is worth the read. Very different from the cult classic film.

The Crimson Labyrinth by Yusuke Kishi is another favorite.

Both stand alone.

(What a terrific thread! I'm adding books left & right!)

message 25: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 146 comments Never Let Me Go is one of the best I have read in 30 years. Understated and horrifying. Stands with the very best of the genre.