Play Book Tag discussion

The Great Alone
This topic is about The Great Alone
Archive: Other Books > The Great Alone - Kristin Hannah 2/5 (barely)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole D. | 1495 comments I knew that The Nightingale was an anomaly for Hannah, but I was so hopeful about this book. I'm fascinated by Alaska, but beyond that I had no idea what the book was about.

I hated this book and the only reason it got 2 stars instead of 1 is because I finished it. I can't believe I'm the only person who hated this book. I can do a LOT of dark, but I can't do abuse, and this was horrible abuse.

Consider the rest of this review to be full ranty spoilers.

(view spoiler)

Now I just have to wonder - Does that sound like a book ANYBODY wants to read?

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1219 comments I went ahead and read the spoiler, because I didn’t intend to read the book. Now I REALLY don't intend to read it. Thanks for saving my money and/or library wait time.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I didn’t get the vibe that this was going to be the book for me, so I went out of my way to get out my laptop so I could read your spoilers. I feel like it might be an eye rolling kind of book. Am I right?

Nicole D. | 1495 comments Not as much eye rolling and just hatred. Almost beyond eye roll.

message 5: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen | 1545 comments ouch. I want to read the spoilers but I'm also debating reading this since I got an ARC. I'll probably come back and read the spoilers later :)

annapi | 5117 comments Oh no, this is one of the books for the March Madness...

Nicole D. | 1495 comments I am in the minority, but Jen ... it's about a hardcore abuse cycle, I can't imagine it would be the kind of thing you want to read.

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen | 1545 comments Nicole D. wrote: "I am in the minority, but Jen ... it's about a hardcore abuse cycle, I can't imagine it would be the kind of thing you want to read."

Yeah, no

message 9: by Anita (last edited Mar 26, 2018 03:45PM) (new) - added it

Anita Pomerantz | 6644 comments I read the spoilers, and I liked it . . .(sung to the tune of Katy Perry's I Kissed a Girl).

Seriously, I liked the Nightingale for a few very touching moments, but definitely not enough to read more from the author, soooo I thought to myself, where will I get more entertainment value. Reading this book, or reading Nicole's spoilers?

It wasn't even a close call for me. I love me some good ranty spoilers from Nicole.

annapi | 5117 comments LOL I agree, Anita! I couldn't resist reading Nicole's spoilers and I think they are more entertaining than the book sounds!

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2088 comments AHHHHHH! I want to read the spoilers. I also plan on reading the book one day. Not a high priority though.

What a quandary you have put me in Nicole D.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Jen wrote: "Nicole D. wrote: "I am in the minority, but Jen ... it's about a hardcore abuse cycle, I can't imagine it would be the kind of thing you want to read."

Yeah, no"

On the flip side, I tolerated the abuse and I have very little tolerance for it. I thought it was a realistic insight to the mentality of abuse victims and the vicious cycle.

What really had me rolling my eyes, Nicole, was that (view spoiler)

message 13: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9068 comments I’m going to give this a try.. I had to return it to the library, so now I am back on the queue with 598 people ahead of me. So no spoilers for me!

Nicole D. | 1495 comments OMG Amy! LOL. that's a LOT of holds.

Nicole, I'm sort of surprised you liked it as much as you did. It did seem realistic, and that's what I disliked about it. But much of the other stuff was over the top, and yes on your spoiler. Which was also predicted.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Tatiana wrote: "Talk about abuse, have you read EVIL DIES by Lupe Abad?"

No, and I generally do not read books with abuse, so I will probably be avoiding that one!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Tatiana wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Jen wrote: "Nicole D. wrote: "I am in the minority, but Jen ... it's about a hardcore abuse cycle, I can't imagine it would be the kind of thing you want to read."

Yeah, no"

On t..."

No, and I do generally avoid abuse. So I will probably be avoiding that one!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Nicole D. wrote: "Nicole, I'm sort of surprised you liked it as much as you did"

I also thought a lot of the violence was "off screen." It wasn't long, vivid descriptions of how he brutally beat her, but, because it was told from Lenny's POV, lots of times she would come home and he mom had a black eye or other bruises.

The part where he (view spoiler), but I felt that it lost some of its brutality because of Lenny's perspective.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Well you hated it more than I did, but it was a miss for me too, mostly because of the abuse and the ending which I thought was a big stretch.

message 19: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3830 comments I caved and read the spoilers. Great review!!

I think this would definitely work for my listopia this year of "Most disturbing books". And Nicole and Linda both gave it 4 stars. But the spoilers gave away the whole plot, so there might not really be any point in reading it now.

Nicole D. | 1495 comments I did. I told the whole thing. I was pissed. :) Sorry!

message 21: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3830 comments Nicole D. wrote: "I did. I told the whole thing. I was pissed. :) Sorry!"

Haha, don't be sorry! I'm the one who clicked the very-tempting "view spoilers" button.

I haven't read The Nightingale, but if feel like if I do read this, I should read this first so my expectations aren't as high.