Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

The Spark > 10. Help or Hindrance?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Do you think autism is a help or a hindrance to Jake's mind? Could he do more without it? Or does the autism make his abilities that more unique?

message 2: by Carol (last edited Mar 26, 2018 10:59AM) (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
Chelsea, I'm not sure that it did make his abilities that much more unique. As I reread the book, I found that I wondered that some myself, but I can't help but think he has an awesome foundation. I know the professors were brilliant and they taught him, so probably yes. And the students were in awe too at the brilliance Jake had, I was too for that matter.

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments This is such a good question! I googled whether there's a link between autism and high IQ and found this interesting article:
https://www.appliedbehavioranalysised...
Did you notice that their two younger boys were also participating in the early college program? Obviously there are some smart genes in this family's DNA, but maybe there is something in Jake's autism that "bumped it up".

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments Somewhere in the book Kris mentions that autism gave Jacob the opportunity to go inside himself and learn. Thought that was interesting.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Pam wrote: "Somewhere in the book Kris mentions that autism gave Jacob the opportunity to go inside himself and learn. Thought that was interesting."

I'd forgotten that - makes sense.

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela (angeladecker814) | 104 comments I'm not sure if autism caused his extremely high intelligence, or was the result of it. "The result of it? What do you mean?" Well, perhaps his brain couldn't handle being so intellectually smart that it wasn't able to perform as well in other areas, leading to the autism diagnosis. This is just an idea though; I have no idea if there's any merit to it.

I do think there's something going on though, and I do also think that Cindy is right and the family definitely had good odds with their genetics.

message 7: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Interesting link Cindy! I think the autism must have had some reason for how his mind was able to work. So much advance in some areas, but that caused some lack in others.