Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

The Spark > 9. Financial Stress

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Financial stress was a big part in their life. Do you think she should have charged for Little Light/Jacob's Place?

message 2: by Carol (last edited Mar 28, 2018 09:17AM) (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
Both she and her husband felt strongly about not charging their customers fees for their services. They really struggled financially by not charging, then when they had the fire and pretty much lost all their possessions that would have been a bitter pill to swallow. Here they are giving as much as they possibly can and they are rewarded with struggles such as a fire, her husband with his mental stress problems, she with her stroke and their newer kids with their struggles too. I feel the Lord really blessed them triple fold, but I'm not that strong to be able to make all that happen within my own means.

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I wasn't really clear on why she didn't want to take "donations" from parents who could afford it. It almost seemed like a point of pride for her to say she never took payment.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments I agree with you Cindy - it seemed a little self grand I Inc to me. But the time and energy she devoted was inspiring!

message 5: by Barb (new)

Barb (deckerbunch) | 227 comments I agree. It seemed like she wanted to keep it all hers. If someone else chipped in, it would take some of that away from her.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Barb wrote: "I agree. It seemed like she wanted to keep it all hers. If someone else chipped in, it would take some of that away from her."

Excellent insight! I think you've hit on something here, Barb.

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela (angeladecker814) | 104 comments I agree with Cindy, and I don't think that sort of pride is always good. I think she should have let people donate if they wanted to. I'd feel guilty if I was getting all that stuff for my kid for free. I know at some point she did mention how parents would trade little tasks and favors around though, like baking, so I guess that's something.

message 8: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments I also agree she should have taken the donations. She must have had some underlying reason for it. My thought was "Well stop complaining about your lack of money if you won't take what people offer." She was probably trying to show the extent she went to get these programs going and how important they were to her and she didn't do it because she had extra cash laying around. If I was under that much financial stress I would have taken the donations. She was spending a lot out of pocket. That stressed me out just reading about it.