Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

The Spark > 8. Sparked Interest

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments The telescope and lectures really sparked his interest and brought him alive. What sparked you interest as a kid?

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I have always loved books and reading and anything to do with books and reading! I really can't remember ever having much of a passion for anything else.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
My parents were concerned about my abilities to read, so they sent me to a woman that was supposedly good at helping her student to retain what they read. I wasn't the best at that. I loved swimming. I loved camping and hiking. This poor body is kind of a let down when it was so good and fairly strong when I was young.

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb (deckerbunch) | 227 comments Carol wrote: "My parents were concerned about my abilities to read, so they sent me to a woman that was supposedly good at helping her student to retain what they read. I wasn't the best at that. I loved swimmin..."

I never knew you had a hard time learning to read! I never knew you had a tutor!

message 5: by Barb (new)

Barb (deckerbunch) | 227 comments From as far back as I can remember, I have gone in spurts. For awhile I was obsessed with bugs, then lizards, then baby dolls, then arts and crafts, then.... I'm still that way!

message 6: by Carol (last edited Mar 28, 2018 02:00PM) (new)

I could read, but I had some difficulties with retention and understanding what I was supposed to remember

Barb, I went for a couple months or so. I think her name was Peggy Jones (I think). She helped me work on retention which was some of my bigger problems. As I've said before, I've always had a tender spot for Harlequin Romances. They were a big help in helping to creative a love of reading with a good sloppy romance. I started to learning how to retain my reading then. How do you print your quote in italicized????

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela (angeladecker814) | 104 comments Carol, Barb hit the "reply" button. Alternatively, you can use the HTML tags . The first one goes before the sentence to start the italics, and the second one goes after, to end the italics.

I've always wanted to be a mom, especially the pregnancy and babies part. I wanted to be an obstetric nurse (Labor and Delivery) in high school, and swiftly changed my major after a few very failed college courses once I realized what all that involved. I pretty much majored in Child Development (2 classes shy), and after college, I learned (and still learn) a ton about pregnancy, birth, newborns, etc. as I read, study, and experience.

I've also always enjoyed some form of art. I enjoy (and am fairly good at) a variety of artistic things: sketching, quilting (I learned to sew at 6), home decorating, and graphic design.

My family is also musical, and I've played piano since I was probably 6 (though I didn't advance too far--chords are hard to keep track of and jump between) and flute since I was 10 (that one I got very good at and then sadly did not keep up the rigorous practice required due to lack of opportunity and some lack of desire at college).

message 8: by Carol (new)

Angela, you did something right as you won my nephew with your musical talent and going up to SL. I love that part of your story.

message 9: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Cindy I also was a bookworm. I've had a book going (or usually many at once!) since at least the 4th grade. I would even write a summary and rate it with the date I finished (early Goodreads journal? Haha) which I've continued today! I'm 400 something books in and on my 5th notebook.

I also loved elephants and bugs. I had a plastic bug collection that now my boys love to play with. Seemed weird for an 11 year old girl to ask for bugs for her birthday. ;) But that's what I loved to have and learn about.

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments What a treasure Chelsea! Wish I’d done that as a girl. I did start a reading list about 20 years ago.