Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

The Spark > 6. Press

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Had you heard about Jake prior to the book? Has anyone read the newspaper article or seen the 60 Minutes show about him? Apparently now he's working on a PhD at 15!

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I had never heard of Jake. I found a recent article about him online and it was interesting. And I did look him up on YouTube (he has a talk on Ted Teen), but I only watched a minute or two of it.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
I had not heard of Jake either. After I finished the book, there was an interview with him when he was 14 years old. I was very impressed with his language, terminology, and the ease with which he spoke. It really impressed me. He has received enough training that he could work through it.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments I had not heard of Jake or the 60 minute special - would love to see it though!

message 5: by Barb (new)

Barb (deckerbunch) | 227 comments I hadn't heard of him either. I also looked him up and watched the youtube videos. He didn't look or sound like the image I had of him in my mind, so I'm glad that resource is available!

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela (angeladecker814) | 104 comments I don't think I'd heard of him, but I had seen a video of a kid they talked about in the book--the one who took a helicopter ride over Rome and then drew the whole city in perfect detail. Apparently his theories didn't turn out to be as groundbreaking as his mom wrote (https://translate.google.com/translat...), but that doesn't make them any less incredible.

message 7: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Thanks for your link in question 2 Angela. I had been trying to find a video of him without any luck. His social quirks made him fun I thought .