Melbourne Library Service discussion

Marieke Hardy - Desert Island Books podcast

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Melbourne Library Service | 139 comments Marieke Hardy revealed her Desert Island Books in a podcast with librarian and host, Natalie Mason.

1. Martin Amis, Experience
2. Aline Kominsky-Crumb, Need More Love
3. Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse 5

Then Marieke revealed some of her can't-live-without authors and youtube stars and cartoonists, and a book she CAN'T ABIDE. If you heard the episode, you'll know which one...

Plainsong trilogy / Kent Haruf
everything written by Elizabeth Strout
Gastronomic Me / M. F. K. Fisher
The Light Between Oceans / ML Stedman
Steve Roggenbuck's youtube video make something beautiful before you are dead (2012) / this comes with a very very strong language warning
First Dog on the Moon cartoons

It was a real delight to chat to Marieke about reading.

Have you read any of her favourites? Or, controversially, did you like The Light Between Oceans? - Natalie

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma | 1 comments Haven't read any of Marieke's faves. I like memoirs so may have a gander at Experience by Martin Amis. Thanks! Is there a link to the podcast?

Melbourne Library Service | 139 comments Hi Emma!

Do let me know what you think of Experience by Martin Amis. I read it because it was on Marieke's list and would not have read it otherwise. Would love to know what you think.

You really must read Slaughterhouse 5 by Vonnegut. Or you could listen to Ethan Hawke read you the audiobook, which is what I did. Quite a reading/listening experience!

You can listen to the podcast by clicking here.

-Natalie