Play Book Tag discussion

The March
This topic is about The March
Archive: Other Books > The March by E. L. Doctorow - 4 stars.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Booknblues | 6211 comments I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell. -
William Tecumseh Sherman

In The March by E.L. Doctorow we march with General Sherman through Georgia and then north through South Carolina to North Carolina. As Sherman marched through Georgia, destroying and burning, he accumulated followers of those who lost all possessions and had no where to turn and freed slaves celebrating the days of jubilee that came with emancipation.

We enter the lives of these people as they follow Sherman's march. Sadly some won't make it to the end and we say a reluctant farewell to them. There are many interesting stories within this book and it is constantly changing perspective. I enjoyed it immensely and had trouble putting it down. I gladly recommend it. It won the National Book Award in 2005, among other accolades.

Hurrah! Hurrah! we bring the jubilee!
Hurrah! Hurrah! the flag that makes you free!
So we sang the chorus from Atlanta to the sea
While we were marching through Georgia.
- Henry Clay Work

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2946 comments It's been on my list for a long time. One of these days .....especially now that I know you liked it.

message 3: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Adding to TBR.

Booknblues | 6211 comments Jgrace wrote: "It's been on my list for a long time. One of these days .....especially now that I know you liked it."

It is one that reminds me of some old movies that had multiple characters. Some I wanted to know more about their story, but as they left the march so to did their story. My favorite character made it to the end, so that influenced my rating.

I found it very compelling. Depending on the narrator, I would imagine that it would be good to listen to. It moves along pretty quickly.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The March (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

E.L. Doctorow (other topics)