Year-long NaNo discussion

Faith > The General's Children

Comments Showing 1-50 of 111 (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Hey, guys! Since I finished the first book in the Pentegreen series, I've decided to go crazy and start book 2 a few days before Camp NaNo begins.....yeah. I'm nuts.

But, three days into this endeavor, I'm already at 12,404 words! WHOA....I've never written this fast in my life. XD

So far in this draft, I've introduced some pretty horrible consequences for some decisions made in the first book, brought in two new characters (one of whom is the BIG BAD of the series, the other of whom is one of my favorite antiheroes...XD), and reached my inciting incident (yay). :D

So....

Today I've reached 12,404 words! I'll keep this thread updated (hopefully) with my progress....

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) | 347 comments wonderful!!!!!!

message 3: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Catherine wrote: "wonderful!!!!!!"

<3 :D

Katrina Michelle (cheapobiblio) | 243 comments That. Is. INSANE. *jaw drops to the floor*

Woot, girl, you are on a roll!!! Keep it up!!!!!!

message 5: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Lila wrote: "That. Is. INSANE. *jaw drops to the floor*

Woot, girl, you are on a roll!!! Keep it up!!!!!!"

I KNOOOOOW! I'm genuinely uncertain as to how it's happening...but I've hit a bit of a wall now so my pace has slowed dramatically. BUT WE'RE DOING THIS! THANK YOU FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT!

message 6: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "Hey, guys! Since I finished the first book in the Pentegreen series, I've decided to go crazy and start book 2 a few days before Camp NaNo begins.....yeah. I'm nuts.

But, three days into this end..."

O.O whoa, holy cows, that is... THAT'S FANTASTIC!!! But seriously, girl, you are a writing MACHINE :P

Teach me your ways.

message 7: by R.A. (new)

R.A. | 313 comments Wow, great job!!! :D How long did it take you to write that much?! ;)

message 8: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments R.A. wrote: "Wow, great job!!! :D How long did it take you to write that much?! ;)"

Nicki wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "Hey, guys! Since I finished the first book in the Pentegreen series, I've decided to go crazy and start book 2 a few days before Camp NaNo begins.....yeah. I'm nuts.

Bu..."

It took me a few hours per day....I don't know how I'm doing it, guys. I just know that I really, really love this series I'm currently writing. <3

message 9: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 3/26/18:

2,773 words

Snippet:

"Hers was a more subtle rebellion, one of intimidation and espionage and forged signatures and deceptive smiles."

message 10: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "R.A. wrote: "Wow, great job!!! :D How long did it take you to write that much?! ;)"

Nicki wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "Hey, guys! Since I finished the first book in the Pentegreen series, I'..."

*thumbs up* well, whatever you're doing. Keep doing it. And I know what you're talking about. It's so easy to write the stories that you love :P

message 11: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "3/26/18:

2,773 words

Snippet:

"Hers was a more subtle rebellion, one of intimidation and espionage and forged signatures and deceptive smiles.""

Okay... I know I just commented but O.O Did somebody mention espionage? AND DECEPTIVE SMILES?? OMW, Faith this is fantastic (and exactly the kind of story I love). And you're word count is spectacular!

message 12: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "3/26/18:

2,773 words

Snippet:

"Hers was a more subtle rebellion, one of intimidation and espionage and forged signatures and deceptive smiles.""

Okay... I know I just..."

This book has got a TON of espionage and secrets and deception, so...if that's the kind of thing you like, this will definitely be right up your alley *side eyes* *grins*

message 13: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) | 347 comments bring it on, girl! i love a good spy story!!

message 14: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 3/28/18--We're up to 16,750 words. Getting a little slower at this point....I have to physically torture the character my critique partner has dubbed the "sweet apple Danish," and she (my critique partner) is currently banned from google docs and thus can't encourage me as I'm writing this scene that hurts my soul. So....encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

But I ALSO wrote, today, a 2,301 word flash fiction, which is basically the first meeting of my MMC and FMC from the MMC's POV (which was SO FUN to write.) I'll give you a snippet from that:

All they’d needed was somebody to go out and keep an eye on things. Make sure they didn’t miss a chance to assassinate Errol Redow if he got close enough. Grab one of the kids, maybe. Hostages were always good to have.
His father said “the kids.” Of course, there was only one he was interested in. [Spoiler name :P] fought to keep from letting his head thud back against his spine as he listened to the rundown of the intel collected. The girl, the girl, the girl. Always the girl. Why was everyone in this infernal army so obsessed with the girl?

message 15: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "3/28/18--We're up to 16,750 words. Getting a little slower at this point....I have to physically torture the character my critique partner has dubbed the "sweet apple Danish," and she (my critique ..."

Ooh, torturing characters is hard. Especially the really special adorable ones. But I know you can do this.

And I love that! Writing flash fiction of another person's POV. Sounds so fun!

And that snippet is fantastic! I especially love the last line! :D

message 16: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) | 347 comments Agree with Nicki on that last line, that was GOLD.

Sheesh, that stinks for your poor critique partner!! Hope she gets back in soon (meanie Google).

You got this, girl! Even though the going is tough, you've got some good stuff to work with.

message 17: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Catherine wrote: "Agree with Nicki on that last line, that was GOLD.

Sheesh, that stinks for your poor critique partner!! Hope she gets back in soon (meanie Google).

You got this, girl! Even though the going is ..."

Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "3/28/18--We're up to 16,750 words. Getting a little slower at this point....I have to physically torture the character my critique partner has dubbed the "sweet apple Danish," and she (my critique ..."

Thank you guys so much!!!!!! I /finally/ finished writing that scene this morning after struggling with it for three days, so that's nice to get it out of the way. :P

message 18: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 3/29/18--As of right now, word count is 18,488. Hoping to up that a bit before I go to bed.

There's this snippet I'm DYING to share with y'all, but it's ridiculously spoilery, so I won't. Here's a different one instead, which should give you some idea of how hard this last scene was for me to write:

It intensified so fast that Rishatta could barely hold back his scream. Pain shredded into his gut, ripping him open from the inside out. At the speed of light it blossomed through his whole body. His shoulder in particular became a focused point of agony, pulsing with the fury of a swarm of wasps stinging over and over and over again in the same unprotected area.
Somehow, he wasn’t sure how, he was able to restrain a scream.

message 19: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Ivie wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "3/29/18--As of right now, word count is 18,488. Hoping to up that a bit before I go to bed.

There's this snippet I'm DYING to share with y'all, but it's ridiculously spo..."

OH YES I CAN! You should wait until the day you can actually read my series, Ivie....I've already received multiple death threats from my critique partner and her sisters.....XD

Tank ya kindly! :D

message 20: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "3/29/18--As of right now, word count is 18,488. Hoping to up that a bit before I go to bed.

There's this snippet I'm DYING to share with y'all, but it's ridiculously spoilery, so I won't. Here's a..."

I literally screamed allowed with that snippet. UM, WHAT??? Not Rishatta! (I mean I know next to nothing about him but from what I do know, I've decided to adopt him ;P).

But on a slightly less emotionally draining subject. Um... how have you gotten so much written already?? Seriously You. Are. A Writing. MACHINE.

message 21: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "3/29/18--As of right now, word count is 18,488. Hoping to up that a bit before I go to bed.

There's this snippet I'm DYING to share with y'all, but it's ridiculously spo..."

NICKI! Oh my word, I grinned SO BIG when I read that, you have no idea. <3 I hate doing things to any of my characters....but especially him....*sobs*

I DON'T EVEN KNOW!!!!!! DON'T ASK! *screams* *keels over*

message 22: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Ivie wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "Ivie wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "3/29/18--As of right now, word count is 18,488. Hoping to up that a bit before I go to bed.

There's this snippet I'm DYING to sha..."

Ahh, that makes me so happy to hear! :D

message 23: by Alyssa, Time Lord (new)

Alyssa | 821 comments Mod
*rubs hands together maliciously* I, actually, happen to LOVE torturing characters!!!

message 24: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 3/30/18--At the time of updating, 20,227 words.

Snippet:

He couldn’t know. He had no idea. Her secret was safe, hidden somewhere deep in the recesses of the heap of masks she had made for herself ever since she was eleven. In Venaria, making faces for every occasion was a wild game, and one that Anna had thrown herself into from the minute she was old enough to understand its existence.
“We are Venarian,” her brother was fond of saying. “We wear a thousand masks.” His favorite proverb. Perhaps the most accurate of all time.
Except Anna didn’t quite fit the proverb. For she wore a thousand and one masks.

And here's another from that flash-fic from one of my other charrie's POVs:

His sister was one of the most beautiful girls in the world, by all accounts, and while he didn’t really notice that--after all, she was his sister--he still knew what a pretty girl looked like.
He’d never seen a girl in Misue or even Lascogine as a whole, ever, who had caught his eye and held onto it before.
But she did.

message 25: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Ivie wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "3/30/18--At the time of updating, 20,227 words.

Snippet:

He couldn’t know. He had no idea. Her secret was safe, hidden somewhere deep in the recesses of the heap of ma..."

Zank you! *beams*

Somebody else, but I won’t tell who.... ;)

message 26: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Ivie wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "Ivie wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "3/30/18--At the time of updating, 20,227 words.

Snippet:

He couldn’t know. He had no idea. Her secret was safe, hidden somewher..."

Whoa, Ivie not pushing to find out who the spoiler characters are? It's a miracle. XD Honestly, it's SO HARD at this point to find snippets that aren't ridden with massive spoilers.....stupid plot twists and spoiler characters....*grumbles*

message 27: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Ivie wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "Ivie wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "Ivie wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "3/30/18--At the time of updating, 20,227 words.

Snippet:

He couldn’t know. He had no id..."

I’m sure you do. *haughty look*

message 28: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Excellent excerpts, Faith! And I have my suspicions too ;P ;P ;P

message 29: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "Excellent excerpts, Faith! And I have my suspicions too ;P ;P ;P"

Oh, you two. :P XD

message 30: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) | 347 comments ahhhhh, both of these snippets were AWESOME!!! I love that Venarian proverb!!!

message 31: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Catherine wrote: "ahhhhh, both of these snippets were AWESOME!!! I love that Venarian proverb!!!"

Thank you! :D

message 32: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 4/1/18: 23,035 words

Not a bad start to Camp NaNo! Here's a snippet:

Her father was disgusted by the dreamcatcher. “You’re sixteen,” he’d told her at the time she’d made it.
Well, now she was seventeen, and she was secretly making four more dream catchers that lay in various stages of completion under her bed. She kept things neat in this room. So richly adorned that as soon as someone walked in their eyes flew over the entire place, unable to pick something to focus on; but at the same time--tidy. Tidiness could not be overemphasized. She was a tidy person, and she always, always needed it to be blatantly obvious.

message 33: by Alyssa, Time Lord (new)

Great job, Faith!! (P.S. I love dreamcatchers!)

message 34: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Alyssa wrote: "Great job, Faith!! (P.S. I love dreamcatchers!)"

Alyssa wrote: "Great job, Faith!! (P.S. I love dreamcatchers!)"

Me too! Thanks :D

message 35: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 4/3/18--33,351 words

I got to take today off from school and basically do NOTHING except write, which was MARVELOUS for my word count! I wish I could say this draft was flying, but at the moment I'm just kind of setting characters up, helping them get to their positions for the real plot. Next to reveal the identity of a spy...

Snippet:
How many times would she break down? Would a day ever, ever come when she would be able to stand without falling, to position herself in a place where she could be bigger than the pain and not let it topple her? She was broken. Absolutely broken. The world stood against her; at least three enemies wanted her dead, and more than that, in all likelihood. They sought her capture. She’d lost too much already.
How much more could she take?

message 36: by Alyssa, Time Lord (new)

Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "4/3/18--33,351 words

I got to take today off from school and basically do NOTHING except write, which was MARVELOUS for my word count! I wish I could say this draft was flying, but at the moment I..."

Yay!!! Great job, Faith!!! I've done the same thing today ... but you've, like, doubled my count! that's awesome!

(Also, loved the snippet! :) )

message 37: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Alyssa wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "4/3/18--33,351 words

I got to take today off from school and basically do NOTHING except write, which was MARVELOUS for my word count! I wish I could say this draft was ..."

Aww, thank you! :D

message 38: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) | 347 comments Awesome job, Faith!!!

message 39: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "4/3/18--33,351 words

I got to take today off from school and basically do NOTHING except write, which was MARVELOUS for my word count! I wish I could say this draft was flying, but at the moment I..."

Great work, Faith! It's great that you got the day off from school. I'm on spring break this week, but I fear I haven't been doing much writing. Bad writer.

And that snippet is intense. Seriously this book seems SO intense!

message 40: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "4/3/18--33,351 words

I got to take today off from school and basically do NOTHING except write, which was MARVELOUS for my word count! I wish I could say this draft was ..."

GET ON IT! Jk, you’re doing fine anyways, I’d say. I’m in the Camp NaNo mode with a goal of 80k on this book...yikes.

And thank you!!!! It is pretty intense, although most of the intensity is internal, I’d say.

message 41: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Catherine wrote: "Awesome job, Faith!!!"

Thanks! :D

message 42: by Alyssa, Time Lord (new)

Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "Nicki wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "4/3/18--33,351 words

I got to take today off from school and basically do NOTHING except write, which was MARVELOUS for my word count! I wish I could say t..."

Wow! And I thought that I was pretty cool with my goal of 60k! ;)

message 43: by R.F. Gammon (last edited Apr 04, 2018 07:39PM) (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 4/4/18: 34,540 words

Ugh....today was tough. I outlined the next 30 chapters or so of this novel (IT'S GONNA BE SO LONG, AND THE PLOT STILL MAKES NO SENSE...UGH) but as far as actual writing goes, I barely made 1200 words. Oh well.

Snippet:
The morning slipped into a pattern. All she had to think about was the aiming, the sing of the dagger as it sliced through the air, balancing herself, ensuring that one foot was in the right place as she sent the dagger hurtling forward into the dead center of the target. It took work to line it up just right every time, so it wasn’t absolutely mindless, but it still took away stress to throw. The pattern repeated over and over and over: plant feet--balance--throw--assess--run to fetch the dagger from the target.

message 44: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) | 347 comments That's okay, my word count has been a fat zero today. I hit a plot roadblock *groans*

I love this snippet - I can see it so vividly :).

message 45: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 4/5/18–35,274 words

My heroine and one of my villains just came face to face for the second time...hoo boy *cackles evilly*

message 46: by Alyssa, Time Lord (new)

Hehe, such fun!

message 47: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 4/7/18--44,484 words written total

message 48: by Alyssa, Time Lord (new)

Wow, that's AWESOME.

message 49: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "4/7/18--44,484 words written total"

Great work, Faith!

message 50: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) | 347 comments Awesome word count, Faith!

« previous 1 3