The Mookse and the Gripes discussion

Favorite Presses > Dostoyevsky Wannabe

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (last edited Mar 25, 2018 01:55PM) (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8757 comments Dostoevsky Wannabe are publishers of the RoC shortlisted Gaudy Bauble. Their mission statement:

We publish and exhibit independent / experimental / underground things. We publish a lot of books, any types of books − short books, long books, flash fiction, poetry, anthologies, samplers, chapbooks, experimental things.

We're a zero budget operation. There's no money in this. We'd only spend it on things that are bad for us anyway.

Pretty much the only criteria that we have for writers or artists who want to work with us is that what they produce must be very good, very bad in a good way, or very cool.

The zero-budget thing refers to their rather unusual publishing models. Books are sold via Amazon (although also more recently via some indy bookshops) and printed on demand.

The co-founders Richard Brammer and Victoria Brown - one with a full-time day job in public services and one currently a full-time university student- are also both published in their own right, and, I might add, lovely people.

message 2: by Neil (new)

Neil | 1885 comments And this evening I have ordered “A Hypocritical Reader” which I am looking forward to reading.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8757 comments I did the same today with Richard's new book Girl at End.

message 4: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 3164 comments Mod
Link to the website:
https://www.dostoyevskywannabe.com/

I have only read Gaudy Bauble.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8757 comments Interesting and quite proactive interview with DW

https://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/low-c...

e.g.

We do come across well-meaning readers who try to pursue such ethical consumption in their own small ways via controlling how and what they purchase and often they, quite reasonably, if, in my opinion ineffectively, seek to purchase direct from an independent publisher in a bid to support that independent publisher and they have personal principles that state that they cannot ever buy anything from Amazon and that’s fine and is probably a good idea from the point of view of lots of independent publishers and it makes sense, if they’re going to do it, to do it in that context. As far as Dostoyevsky Wannabe is concerned, you can only really buy our books from Amazon because they are printed by Createspace and Createspace is owned by Amazon so unfortunately our model seeks to cheat that type of reader out of their ethical principle and there’s not much we can do about that.

RoC Prize also discussed