Play Book Tag discussion

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China
This topic is about Wild Swans
March 2018: Autobiography > (LISTOPIA) Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China, by Jung Chang

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8868 comments Five Stars! I am not normally a lover on non-fiction, but lately I have read such compelling reads. In my Goodreads main group I have already seen a number of reviews of this, so its hard to recap. It traces the life of Jung Chang and her siblings, parents, and grandparents, through the Komingtang, and the Cultural Revolution under Mao Tse Tang. In places it was hard to read, as the devastation and violence of her childhood experience, and that of her parents and grandparents was bleak and traumatizing. It was one of those stories that was hard to read, but needed to be told. Its a miracle that she lived through it to tell the harrowing tale, and that she was at some point able to leave China for the West. She loved her family and was an extremely good daughter to them. She was also a young woman with ideas, intellect, and passion, in a country that didn't tolerate that - and in fact supressed it.

Loved the first line and drawn in right away - At Age Fifteen, my Grandmother was a concubine to General .... (Famous Chinese Official who ran the country.) The story was actually quite amazing, even more so because every word was true.

A note about challenges. I started this book when the Tag of the Month was Asia. Finished it when the Tag of the Month was Autobiography. Next Month is Strong Women and it fits that category too. But as or more importantly, this is also my Listopia book Two - Remarkable Women in Historical fiction. Now that I think about it, it shouldn't be on the list. Its non-fiction. But I am reading plenty more women who probably should be on the list, but aren't. And in terms of the actual list, I am sure to hit way more than 6. So I am actually just fine with that. It also is one of nine or ten books in Nicole's Cultural challenge, which I knew I'd complete with my eyes closed. See how many countries I can visit this year, and I am excited to see how much of the world I have seen even in just three months. So - for many reasons, I am really glad to be done with this quite excellent read. My home book club is getting together to talk about it too, within the next month. I love how one book hits all the categories at once, and without PBT, I would never have known about it, much less picked it up. Hooray for PBT and also for me! Brava to Jung Chang for her survival and teaching us with her tale of resilience and difficult history.

message 2: by Booknblues (new) - added it

Booknblues | 6208 comments This has been on my TBR for a long time. I need to find a way to move it up.

Tracy (tstan) | 1208 comments Hurray! Not only did you finish, you loved it! This was an education and a strengthening read. Those women were certainly Survivors!

message 4: by Hilde (new) - added it

Hilde (hilded) | 412 comments Great review:) It's been on my TBR for quite some time, just need to find the time it seems!

message 5: by annapi (new) - added it

annapi | 5069 comments Glad to see another fan of this book!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6016 comments I read it back in 2000. I liked it, but didn't love it. Thought it could use editing. Two of my F2F book clubs chose it for discussion.