Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - General > When you aren't reading Crime, Mysteries or Thrillers...

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  Paullin | 1302 comments Mod
What else do you read when you aren't reading a Crime, Mystery, or Thriller? What are some of your favorite books outside the Crime, Mystery, and Thriller genres?

message 2: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  Paullin | 1302 comments Mod
I adore Southern Literature, and Fairy Tales. Over the past few years I have been enjoying some Young Adult books and... don't throw anything at me... Cozies. I enjoy an occasional biography and autobiography. I'm am trying to incorporate more Classics in my repertoire but some of them are just tedious to get through. I've found audio books are sometimes better for me when it comes to the classics.

My favorites (to date)
Southern Literature : To Kill a Mockingbird, Carrying Albert Home: The Somewhat True Story of A Man, His Wife, and Her Alligator which had me laughing throughout, it was very well written, Long Man, and The Keepers of the House.

Fairy Tales: The various Colored Fairy Books edited by Andrew Lang, The Original Folk and Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm (this book contains 1812 editions of the tales before they were sanitized for children), Oscar Wilde's fairy tales, and The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus.

Young Adult: I think Marissa Meyer did a great job with Cinder (a retelling of Cinderella) and the rest of the series has been on my TBR list for a while, maybe I'll make some time for that this year. I thoroughly enjoyed When the Sea Turned to Silver and would like to read some other books by that author too.

Some of the Classics I enjoyed were Around the World in Eighty Days, The Secret Garden, The Children of the New Forest, Gulliver's Travels, and A Christmas Carol.

message 3: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Conyngham | -310 comments I've been known to read sci-fi and fantasy, and a bit of supernatural stuff! There are a few crime crossovers like James Oswald, police procedurals in Edinburgh with a supernatural twist. And I like historical fiction - not bodice-ripping romances, more adventure, like Dorothy Dunnett. Or any factual research books for my own writing, but I'd rather have fiction!

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I am reading Romantic Suspense!

message 5: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 108 comments I have really enjoyed reading historical fiction. It’s interesting to read how things were done back then. Once in a while I will pick up a YA or women’s fiction.

message 6: by Amaryllis (new)

Amaryllis (amellin) ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "What else do you read when you aren't reading a Crime, Mystery, or Thriller? What are some of your favorite books outside the Crime, Mystery, and Thriller genres?"
Mostly fantasy and YA/NA novels though I'm rather fed up with these. I also enjoy the occasional romcom!

message 7: by Amaryllis (new)

Amaryllis (amellin) ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I adore Southern Literature, and Fairy Tales. Over the past few years I have been enjoying some Young Adult books and... don't throw anything at me... Cozies. I enjoy an occasional biography and au..."

I looove retellings of Fairy Tales (and classics)! Just finished the 2nd book of the Cinder series.
I also absolutely loved The Hazel Wood, it's very well written and has a Fairy Tale feeling to it.
And I'm currently reading To Kill a Kingdom, which is a loose retelling of The Little Mermaid. Oh, and am reading Circe :)

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 16 comments Books!! Lots of books!!

Just kidding, but, really, I'll read nearly any genre. I read a lot of historical fiction, romances, and history.

message 9: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 186 comments General literature and nonfiction. I'm not much for science fiction, but it really depends on the author, and never, ever, romance novels. A lot of them turn me off right at the cover.

message 10: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Vansant | 43 comments almost anything besides romance novels.... might be scientific, might be cultural, and nothing about wars (no war-novels). But beside that.... young adult, whatever

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 16 comments Poor romances... they get so little love of their own.

message 12: by Lee (new)

Lee | 1 comments historical or fantasy fiction

message 13: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 186 comments Kirsten wrote: "Poor romances... they get so little love of their own."

Actually, don't feel sorry for them - they are very good money makers but not many people want to admit to reading them. I just can't seem to see it, or should I say read it, however.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim | 330 comments Finished reading Down the Long Hills (Louis L'Amour's Lost Treasures) A Novel by Louis L'Amour by Louis L'Amour Louis L'Amour

My Review

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1261 comments I started Six Four

message 16: by James (new)

James Aura (jamesaura) | 9 comments I enjoy good historical fiction. A Moment in the Sun
by the director and author John Sayles is really good. Also The Abyssinian by Jean-Christophe Rufin is engaging and takes you back to a time and place rarely featured in fiction.

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 16 comments Pamela wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Poor romances... they get so little love of their own."

Actually, don't feel sorry for them - they are very good money makers but not many people want to admit to reading them. I j..."

I admit it! Gladly!! The only thing I'd be ashamed of reading would be anything by someone employed by Fox "News". Or a book about Holocaust denial.

I have discovered there are too many purists out there. They say I will never read this type of book. But that puts too fine a point on it. Science fiction, horror, fantasy, romance, mystery - all the genres - have so many subgenres that I think you can find something for anyone.

message 18: by Randi (new)

Randi Marya wrote: "⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I adore Southern Literature, and Fairy Tales. Over the past few years I have been enjoying some Young Adult books and... don't throw anything at me... Cozies. I enjoy an occasional ..."

If you like fairy tale type books, you should check out Katherine Arden. I recently read THE BEAR AND THE NIGHTINGALE and THE GIRL IN THE TOWER and they were so great!

message 19: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 16 comments I've been meaning to try that, Randi, thanks for the recommendation.