YA Book Addicts discussion

Book Talk (Series) > The Hunger Games

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Jordyn | 2757 comments Mod
This was a good series. Not one of my favorites but I liked it. The movies are great so far!!

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire My favorite was Catching Fire with The Hunger Games coming in a close 2nd. Mockingjay was the weakest in my opinion. I love what they've done with the movies and I can't wait for the next one to be released!

message 3: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

I agree Mockingjay was sadly pathetic. But Peeta and Katniss's relationship in that book was sad yet intense! Catching Fire is my favorite also. The movies are AMAZING so far

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 1 comments I agree. I love Catching fire!!! It will be interesting to see how they make Mockingjay???

message 5: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Yeah it's going to be very interesting how they do it. Maybe they will make it better?(:

message 6: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
I really loved this series, but the third book SUCKED- SO BAD! And I also loved Gale...So that didn't work out...

message 7: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

I loved Gale but he *SPOILER*ditched Katniss and went to District 8 which pissed me off!

message 8: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Well that was just part of the whole messed up last book. I refuse to even think of that one as part of the series since even Katniss sucked in it..

message 9: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

EXACTLY!! I hate Mockingjay so much. It was just awfully written.
And Finnick<3

message 10: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Right! Like there was no action and the characters were all just terrible!

message 11: by S (new)

S Jakes | 897 comments Not to mention my favourite character of the whole series died :( oh, Finnick…

message 12: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Exactly!!! ):

message 13: by S (new)

S Jakes | 897 comments He died, and I was just like, "what…? No, I must have read that wrong, it can't be… why, oh why, Suzanne Collins, you're so evil and cruel and mean and oh-look-there's-butterknife-run-before-I-stab-you-in-the-eye"

message 14: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Hahaha same! But I hate how she made his death so unimportant! Like it was just sudden and they barley talked about it after

message 15: by S (new)

S Jakes | 897 comments Yeah, I mean, come on, now Annie's new husband has just been brutally torn apart by mutts, not to mention she's half-insane and the majority of the people she knows (District 4 and the Victors) are probably dead. Not mention Finnick is an all-round legend and was one of the first to openly speak out/ act against President Snow. He did so much for the Rebellion and for Annie, and then, BAM! he's dead and I'm denying it.

message 16: by Connie (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 86 comments I quite liked the first book, and the second was a great sequel. Mockingjay seriously let me down, though. I'm hoping the movie will turn out better than the book did~

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked the second book best but I still like divergent better

message 18: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Lauren-I like Divergent better also!!

message 19: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (mockingjay_fire) | 22 comments LittleMissBookworm(lauren) wrote: "I liked the second book best but I still like divergent better"

I liked Divergent better too! What I loved most about Divergent was Tobias's back-story with his abusive dad

message 20: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (mockingjay_fire) | 22 comments Why is everyone disappointed with Mockingjay? I thought that was one of the best out of the trilogy

message 21: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

It was just so confusing and the plot was didn't really make sense.

One thing I did love was how much the games effected Katniss and Peeta! That was really interesting and saddening.

message 22: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (mockingjay_fire) | 22 comments I'll admit the plot was really confusing but it gets better the more you read it but Catching Fire is defienetly my favourite. I aslo do love that about the last one! I particularly like it (SPOILERS) when Gale tells Peeta that Katniss will choose whoever she cannot live without.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes it was so tragic

message 24: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Catching Fire was my favorite as well(:

Yeah that was good! Also when Peeta and Katniss see each other for the first time after the games ended!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't wait for mockingjay

message 26: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (mockingjay_fire) | 22 comments @LittleMissBookworm Yeah I agree! I cant wait for the film! Habe you aeen the teaser trailers!?

@Jordyn
Yeah! I think thats how they'll end Mockingjay Part 1!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes

message 28: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (mockingjay_fire) | 22 comments They are just awesome! But we seriously need a propo with Katniss in it!

message 29: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Omg that would be such a suspenseful ending to the people who haven't read the book!

message 30: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (mockingjay_fire) | 22 comments I know! Everyone whos read the book will understand why Peeta's like that but people who are just fans of the movies will think hes the enemy!

message 31: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Exactly!!

message 32: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (mockingjay_fire) | 22 comments It's going to brilliant!

message 33: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Yup!

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) I read this a three years ago and loved it. Now I think it's okay or good but just overhyped.

Team Peeta <3

message 35: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments Peeta all the way! I loathe Gale. Hunger Games was my first dystopia other then The Giver, and I love it so much. I still remember when I read Mockingjay for the first time. I'd read Catching Fire twice in a row the day before (first time also) and absolutely needed Mockingjay. I was looming everywhere for it and finally found it at this tiny library branch. So I got it, and read it while watching the London Summer Olympics. That really gave me some perspective on it, I tell you. :P

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Exactly

message 37: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments I can't wait for Mockingjay Part one!! Have you seen those Panem shorts? if not look them up for sure!!

message 38: by Connie (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 86 comments Something I saw on Tumblr once (not original thoughts, so please don't sue me for plagiarism xD)Spoilers for the first book!

In the 73 games before Katniss's, 23 people died each: that's 1679. Add 24 for Haymitch's year, and you get 1703. Add another 22 for Katniss, and you get 1725. That's 1725 children that died, most of them brutally murdered by other children or suffered through starvation, frostbite, dehydration, etc.
The Capitol's reaction to this is, as pretty much all readers/movie watchers agree, horrendous. They love the action, the outfits at the interviews, the strategies, the favorites, the romance. They live in luxury and don't care for the lower districts, and we hate the society for being so cruel.
But look at how we ("we" as in the media, not you specifically, haha) react when the Hunger Games movie comes out: It's marketed as thrilling and action-packed. And ooh, there's a love triangle. Are you Team Peeta or Team Gale? Jennifer Lawrence is so pretty!!!

Just think about it--we're pretty much reacting the exact same way the Capitol does to all of this. It's exciting and entertaining. The 1725 deaths that deeply affected 1725 families are perhaps considered briefly with a note of sympathy, but quickly pushed aside as we wonder how Katniss will react when ____ kisses her, how she's going to speak at her interview.

Again, this doesn't apply to everybody, and absolutely no offense intended! I take some blame myself; I was more wondering if Katniss's dress would light aflame properly than the significance of the story, haha.

message 39: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments Yeah, it's hard when you make a book like that into a movie. I just watch it not for the violence, but for the story, like how I'd read a book.

message 40: by Ella Rose (new)

Ella Rose Brunton (ressax) | 18 comments I agree with Connie's post. The Hunger Games is a brutal book when you're thinking about the deaths, the children. When I first explained the book to my mother she was horrified. The idea of children killing children is horrible. There is so much more to the story than the love triangle and all that. Violence is key in this story. The violence is there to get the point across how disturbing this story was. The reason that this book was so good was because it was harsh and violent and disturbing. The other romancey was only there to keep us interested and to show character development. The terrible scene's only empathised the beauty e.g Ruth

message 41: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments i think it's also there to show how relationships change because of war, how war changes everything. but that's more addressed in mockingjay.

message 42: by Ella Rose (new)

Ella Rose Brunton (ressax) | 18 comments Yes, but I don't think it was war so much as survival. Katniss relied on Gale in the Hunger Games to keep her family safe. Then, to survive, she used Peter in the games. Did we actually witness her love either of them? Peter and Katniss changed so much because of what they had to do to survive. Both relationships were based on survival.

message 43: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments Hmm. I don't agree with that, but I'd have to reread in order to give valid points in my favor ;). I thought their love was genuine, but, like Katniss said, who knows what would have happened if things were different.

message 44: by S (new)

S Jakes | 897 comments If not for the Hunger Games, Katniss would never have fallen in love with Peeta. Yes, their relationship was built on survival (as was hers and Gale's), but in order to survive she had to trust him, and that's something I think Katniss has a lot of trouble with. From that she began to care for him, and then love. The other thing about Peeta was that he knew what she had been through, and Gale didn't. Sure, he might have watched it, but he hadn't been there, and only a fellow Victor could understand. Later, if they had mentored, then Gale wouldn't have been able to comprehend the loss of a tribute. As it was, Katniss and Peeta went back into the Games. To me, Katniss's relationship with Finnick, Johanna, and Haymitch are stronger than hers with Gale. Although she has known Gale all her life, as with Peeta, Finnick, Johanna, and Haymitch understand what it's like to be in the Games. Basically, what I mean to say (although I've probably rambled a bit) is that without the Games, Katniss wouldn't have fallen in love with Peeta, but the Games made her relationship with Peeta stronger than her relationship with Gale could ever have been.

message 45: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments I completely agree! Yay Peeta ;)

message 46: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl L | 40 comments I hated mockingjay! Especially because my favourite character died!!!

message 47: by S (new)

S Jakes | 897 comments Was it Finnick by any chance?

message 48: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
I somewhat agree with you S. I definitely think that the Games strengthened her relationship with Peeta to something Gale couldn't compete with in the end, but I do also believe that if none of it had happened she would've ended up loving Gale as much as she loved Peeta. Her relationship with Gale was truly a strong one and he truly loved her. (I ignore the last book in everything I say about THG because that one was just wrong and messed with every character- just letting you know!!)

message 49: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments I do agree that most of Gale's messed up-ness was from Mockingjay. If I may, though, I think Peeta's messed up-ness was slightly more innocent, because he was forced into it, while Gale came about his own demise (don't take that literally, I mean his sense of self). But that's just incredibly biased me. :)