2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2)
This topic is about The Subtle Knife
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials #2)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Apr 12, 2018 05:51PM) (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Philip Pullman‘s book, The Subtle Knife.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Scott, Joan, Susy, Daph, Kristin, Retna, Mani, Dania, Benjamin, Suki, Dyln, Mikayla, Sue, Laura, Erika

message 2: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 85
Week 2: 85
Week 3: 85
Week 4: 85

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 80 comments Could I also join?

message 4: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika | 1 comments I'd love to join too, if it's not too late!

Dania (frenchiestfry) | 70 comments I think I'll be starting this book by the end of next week. The first one was great.

Also, hi Laura!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 80 comments Hi Dania

I'll start it together with you then. :)

Mani (manisbookcorner) | 137 comments Half way through the book. Enjoying this one much more than The Golden Compass

message 8: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Laura, Erika - I have added you to the list of participants! (It is almost never too late to join a buddy read!)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 80 comments Mary Pat wrote: "Laura, Erika - I have added you to the list of participants! (It is almost never too late to join a buddy read!)"

Thank you. :)

message 10: by Mani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mani (manisbookcorner) | 137 comments Finished the book on Friday. Enjoyed it very much. The beginning wasn’t how I thought it would start. Glad I joined in with this series read. As I think I wouldn’t have got very far with actually picking up the books.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I started it yesterday and read the first 3 or 4 chapters. Pretty good so far.

message 12: by Joan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joan Barnett | 798 comments I read the first three chapters and it is definitely better than the first book so far. (view spoiler)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I finished the book. Shaping up to be a great series.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 80 comments Scott wrote: "I finished the book. Shaping up to be a great series."

I agree. I loved this one too. It does have a unique plot (view spoiler)

And now I'm eager to start the last book to see how it all ends.

message 15: by Joan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joan Barnett | 798 comments I'm halfway through chapter 10. I'm still enjoying it much more than the first one. I'm just not invested in the characters that much except for Will. I like him.

(view spoiler)

I'm hoping to finish this book today. My overall reading has been down lately due to work and personal things to do. I'm hoping my pace will pick back up.

I've heard the Amber Spyglass isn't that good so I don't know if I'll jump in on that one right away.

message 16: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Loving it too and hoping to finish today.
Just don't like Lyra, she's so annoying. Behaves like a 3 year old lol

message 17: by Joan (last edited Apr 29, 2018 12:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joan Barnett | 798 comments I completed it. I liked the parts with the kids much better than with the grownups, although I agree Lyra is annoying. I found the audio book at the library for The Amber Spyglass so I'll listen to it and I got the book also to see if I get confused only listening to it.
Sometimes I miss a part when I'm listening. I put them on hold today and should be able to pick them up this week. I'd like to finish the series, even though it isn't my favorite.

Laura I agree with (view spoiler)

message 18: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Like with the first read I'm having a bit of a problem with the writing: it felt like it was written for children in certain parts, not only in dialogues but also the narration (although this may be due to bad translation but still). And Lyra, who was maybe even more annoying than in the first instalment. I just don't like her....at all.
The story on the other hand I do like. I found myself reading faster and faster, wanting to know what was going to happen. Also Will plays an equally important rol as Lyra if not even more important so that made it tolerable (just). Really liked this new style of zombies that was introduced. And (view spoiler).
Interesting to know that this instalment wasn't made into a movie because of the critique the series delivers on the church. Too bad, liked The Golden Compass (although the movie should be a little longer, too much was left out, particularly pertaining to the meaning of having a daemon) and would have loved to see the rest of the series.

message 19: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Joan wrote: "Laura I agree with (view spoiler)"

I'm curious to find out how it all ends. Don't like the writing but love the story.

message 20: by Joan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joan Barnett | 798 comments I haven't see the movie. I'll put that on my list for this weekend.

message 21: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Curious to know how you like it!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Subtle Knife (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Philip Pullman (other topics)