Reading 1001 discussion

The Sun Also Rises
This topic is about The Sun Also Rises
1001 book reviews > The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Daisey | 227 comments I have not had the best experience with Hemingway's writing in the past, so I put a few of them on my TBR challenge this year in the hopes that it would push me to read more. I enjoyed this book so much more than the previous Hemingway stories I've read.

In The Sun Also Rises, the characters travel from Paris to spend a few days fishing and then to attend a fiesta with bull fighting in Spain. Of course, there is a lot of drinking in this novel, and the characters seem to think the best way to deal with their relationship issues and financial difficulties is just to keep drinking, but I didn't focus on that as much as just appreciating the descriptions and the locations. I loved the descriptions of Spain, the fiesta, and the bull fighters.

Diane Zwang | 1214 comments Mod
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
2/5

This is my third Hemingway book and by far my least favorite. I never connected to the antics of the Lost Generation.

The Sun Also Rises follows expatriates Jake Barnes, Robert Cohn, Michael Campbell, Bill Gorton and Lady Brett Ashley as they live in Paris. The group decides to head to Spain for the Fiesta or running of the bulls. New characters come into play, drinking happens a lot, fights ensue and then everyone goes on their merry way. There is not much of a plot to this one just a snap shot into the Lost Generation.

I still like Hemingway's writing style but this particular book did not do it for me.

message 3: by Gail (last edited Nov 08, 2020 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gail (gailifer) | 1268 comments I am glad that I read For Whom the Bell Tolls before I read The Sun Also Rises as it almost felt as if Hemingway was test driving his brief sentence structure and his hopelessly ungrounded characters and had not quite yet found his true self as an author. However, many a literature class says that The Sun Also Rises is a master piece.
Our "Lost Generation" of middle class English people and Americans spend all their time in cafe's, pubs, bars and dance halls drinking to excess. The "action" of this drinking group all revolves around Lady Ashley, who is a beautiful and witty women who evidently so badly needs a man that she will divorce her gentleman husband and become engaged to a complete self loathing and bankrupt alcoholic, while having affairs with two other characters in the book and while professing a love for our main character Jake Barnes. Jake was injured in the war and can not consummate any relationship with Lady Ashley. When the group leaves Paris to go fishing in Spain and then travels to the bullfights in Pamplona the book takes on an unexpectedly heightened descriptive tension which I very much appreciated. Hemingway manages to bring a grace and dignity to the bull fights while not playing down the extreme violence and a true love of the countryside in his descriptions of Spain that offsets all the character's dissipated natures.
I am looking forward to further Hemingway to see how his style matured.

message 4: by Hilde (last edited Mar 01, 2021 01:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hilde (hilded) | 334 comments The Sun Also Rises - 3 stars

The quintessential novel of the Lost Generation, where we meet a group of free souls in 1920s Paris. The story follows the flamboyant Brett whom everyone falls in love with only to get nothing back, and the hapless Jake and their so-called friends.

And in brief: They talk, and they drink – they drink a lot. At times I felt like being the only sober ones attending their party. Some of the dialogues were painfully boring; here is an example:

Brett smiled at at Bill. "I say I'm just back. Haven't bathed even. Michael comes in to-night".
"Good. Come on and eat with us, and we'll all go to meet him".
"Must clean myself".
"Oh, rot! Come on."
"Must bathe. He doesn't get in till nine."
"Come and have a drink, then, before you bathe."

Urgh, I am really not that interested in hearing about a discussion about whether you must bathe before you dine. That happened several times in the book!

But I guess that was the point; to show the disillusion and angst of the post-world war 1 generation. And in that regard, I appreciated the book.